Remembering Malik Sealy

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Shapecity, May 15, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NEW YORK -- Malik Remington Sealy is a gentle boy, 8 years old and the spitting image, some say, of the dad he never really knew.

He likes drawing and painting and, sure, basketball, too. Every so often, when he and his mom go to the gym for his games, someone will say, "Hey, little Silk!" So the nickname might get handed down, right along with the looks.

Remi (the nickname his family sometimes uses) smiles readily, speaks softly, likes to read and can seem wise beyond his years -- same as his pop. Then there's their love of music: With a little coaxing, Remi climbs onto a wooden bench in front of a creaky, slightly out-of-tune upright piano in his family's dining room, thumbs open a song book and bangs out an earnest, happy rendition of "The Dinosaur Stomp."

After he's done, the boy is asked what he remembers best about his dad. He ponders the question, looks at the ceiling as if he might find an answer there and stalls for time.

"Mmmmm," he says, his smile turning sheepish, then heartrending. "Nothing."

Remi was barely 3 when his dad, Timberwolves guard Malik Sealy, died in a head-on collision on Hwy. 100, just south of Hwy. 7, in St. Louis Park. Close to dawn on May 20, 2000, the vehicle driven by Sealy, 30, slammed into a pickup truck driven by a drunk Souksangouane Phengsene, headed north.

In the southbound lane.

"[Malik] said he never would leave Minnesota," his widow, Lisa, said later. "And he never did."

Road construction had narrowed each side to a single lane in the stretch Sealy navigated as he headed to Eden Prairie after an evening in downtown Minneapolis with teammate Kevin Garnett and friends.

Garnett had turned 24, so the group went to dinner, hit a nightclub and talked into the wee hours. Sealy finally climbed into his 1993 Range Rover. Not long after, 7 miles away, Phengsene steered his truck down an exit ramp and onto the freeway.

The randomness is as haunting today as it was then.

A couple of minutes sooner -- a green light instead of a red -- and Sealy would have been safely past it, heading home. Two minutes later and some other poor soul might have met up with Phengsene.

Lisa Sealy swears she woke up at precisely 4:07, the minute of impact, then drifted back to sleep.</div>

Source

2. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

[​IMG]

In today's NBA, it's more important than ever to remember the good guys. RIP

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

was malik any good?

4. Paulijacks

Paulijacks JBB JustBBall Member

Malik was very GOOD!!! he was an excellent defender and was a solid offensive player. He actually was one of KG s favorite players when KG was still a teenager. I really believe that with Malik the wolves had their 2 guard of the future. He was a great basketball player but an even better person. He is greatly missed!

5. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting yao ming:</div><div class="quote_post">was malik any good?</div>

he was real solid. very good defender and a pretty good deep shooter. he was more of a do everything guy than a star, but nonetheless was a winning type player who would've been a real nice sidekick for KG had tragedy not struck. [​IMG]

6. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

That was a horrible time for the NBA and fans. I remember shortly after, Bobby Phills died in a car crash.

7. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Banks:</div><div class="quote_post">That was a horrible time for the NBA and fans. I remember shortly after, Bobby Phills died in a car crash.</div>

jeez, that's right. it's too bad that tragedies so often occur in bunches. i remember when drazen petrovic died, too. it's too bad that good guys are the ones whose lives are to often cut short. [​IMG]

8. sonya

sonya JBB JustBBall Member

Remembering Malik

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Source </div>

Shapecity...

I just wanted to say thank you for such a well written piece to remember Malik...it touched my heart.

~s.

9. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

I am shocked at how Malik died so young. That incident has really struck me when it happened. It's still tough to deal with today.