Remembering Reggie Lewis

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by truebluefan, Jul 28, 2017.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

On July 27th, 1993, I was a few days shy of my 15th birthday. We had just finished a summer league basketball game and my Mom picked up my friends and me to chauffer us home. The plan was to stop and get pizza or McDonald’s or possibly both. We were typical teenage boys and ate everything in sight. Four sweaty, boisterous, happy teenagers, fresh of a win over a rival high school in a meaningless summer league game, loaded into the car. In the time it took to make the 20 minute or so drive to my house, our lives were forever changed.

We got in the car and my Mom, an avid news radio listener, had the radio tuned to WBZ or something like that. A bit after the cursory “Quiet down!” from Mom, which we all summarily ignored, the radio blared its “Breaking News” music and broke in with a report. Reggie Lewis had collapsed on the court at Brandeis University in Waltham during a summer workout.

We all remembered Reggie collapsing earlier in the spring on the court in a playoff game vs the Charlotte Hornets in Game 1 of their first round playoff series. He missed the rest of the series and, despite winning Game 1, Boston fell to Charlotte 3-1. But at the time, reports were that Reggie would be ok with some treatment. News of him practicing a few short months later was encouraging and important, as Boston needed him.

read more https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/7/28/16055912/remembering-reggie-lewis-boston-celtics