Renteria a Giant?

Discussion in 'American League Central' started by Charles, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

WFAN's (in New York) Sweeny Murti is reporting that Edgar Renteria and the San Francisco Giants are close to finalizing a two year, $18 million contract.

If this is true, Detroit would get the Giants second round draft pick, and the Giants would pay a lot of money for an old, broken down player.

This is why most people hate Giants GM Brian Sabean. He just can't stay away from older players. I hope to God this isn't true. And I used to be a big fan of Renteria.

2. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

ugh, hopefully this doesnt stop them from getting anyone that can actually play.

3. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

Apparently Renteria is home in Colombia and this was all just made up. They have negotiated but nothing is close. Thank the Lord. I don't know where Sweeny got this from, he's usually pretty good with this kind of stuff. He should just stick with covering the Yankees, especially now that the FAN is paying Jon Heyman.

4. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

You don't lose a second. They get a supplementary pick.

5. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

how much money do the giants have to spend this offseason? id really like for them to get someone to bat cleanup.

6. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I'm pretty sure you still lose a pick and they get a supplementary pick....

7. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

Renteria is a type A free agent, so if the Tigers offer him arbitration and he signs with another team, the Tigers would get that teams first round pick. Being as the Giants were so bad, their first rounder is protected. So they would have to give up their second. The Tigers have until Dec 2nd to offer arbitration, so if he signs before then, it's a pretty easy decision.

8. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvA74VxvkIDjN9yjaQMqQhURvLYF?slug=ti-hotstovenotes120308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    The Tigers didn't offer arbitration to Renteria, so at least we don't have to worry about that. But he is clearly on the downside of his career. The Cantu for Sanchez trade isn't horrible, but I'm against it (seems like Giants fans are pretty split). While I would like to see another hitter like Cantu in the lineup, and I like that he is young, I'd rather have good pitching than good hitting. Sanchez had trouble in the second half last season, but I think part of that can be dismissed considering how many times before he had been moved from the bullpen to the rotation in the minors and majors. It would mean Sabean would have to sign AT LEAST one more starting pitcher (two if Noah Lowry isn't ready, which no one really knows yet).

9. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Renteria is officially a Giant.

10. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    They signed an old Rent-a-wreck, and traded a quality pitching prospect for Jorge Cantu? Can't be in favor of that if you're a Giants fan.

They also signed Bob Howry, by the way.

11. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

Renteria's ok.

I'm really hoping they can make that trade for Cantu. Between him and Sandoval the corner infield spots are taken care of. Sanchez will be good, I think, but hopefully Lowry will be back and they still have Correia as the no 5 starter.

Hopefully they can make one more move- either Burrell to solidify the 4/5 spot in the lineup or Sabathia. Although if they end up with Sabathia I hope they turn Cain into a middle of the order hitter.

12. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    Burrell's the better option. No sense throwing big money at a pitcher you don't need.