Exclusive Reqiuiem for an Offseason

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Chris Craig, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

2. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Nice article!

We should try to get the person who wrote it to join the forum.

dviss1, UKRAINEFAN and Chris Craig like this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Good piece Chris, but here’s a thought for a different take. I’d like to see something about the Blazers’ decision to bake the cake that didn’t emphasize the guys we didn’t get, but instead saw the value of pushing for growth in guys like Nurkic, Collins and even Harkless. I think we fans get caught up in looking for the quick fix of the big trade or free agent signing. I think we’ve seen that those kinds of deals at scarce, at least for a team like the Blazers who play at the periphery of the NBA universe. The re-signing of Nurk and the decision to push Collins into a bigger role ARE the big moves of the summer. I don’t know if they’ll pay off, but sometimes doing nothing is not doing nothing.

Chris Craig likes this.
  4. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I really like your stuff, hope you are able to put out more especially as the season goes. Somethings I wanted added was that they didn’t use the trade exception (probably because no one was willing to go for it, and they set out to get more experienced and got less experienced). - however those things don’t necessarily fit into the article you were writing, but do kind of help tell the story of a very uneventful summer for the Blazers

Chris Craig likes this.
  5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Thanks. Yeah, I will be putting more articles out as the season goes. I think a big reason why the TPE didn't get used is Neil had a short list and couldn't get those guys, so he let it expire. If he really wanted to use it he could have. It was a situation of these are the guys we want and we have to stay under the hard cap. I should have included that in my article. I'm slipping. I think it would have fit the message of the article that the summer was underwhelming and at points disappointing.

6. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

:biglaugh:

Chris Craig likes this.
  7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Wait, where is the part about cars and houses to stay in?

Chris Craig likes this.
  8. Chris Craig

As much of a dramatic flare as my article has, I am definately excited about the internal growth of some of our players. I am looking forward to see what Collins brings this season. I'm not sure how much imorovement we will see. But, his potential makes me giddy. I think we gotta a couple talented players in the draft. I gave a good feeling about Trent Jr this season, and Simons in the coming seasons. It is hard to maintain hope abiut Meyers, but I also have a good feeling about him this year. I hope we get a revitalized Harkless. Being the subject of trade rumors last offseason but him in a depressive state. Resigning Nurk was big. The Blazers could potentially have a good season ahead.

9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    please feel no obligation to take this idea but a future article could just be called let it bake or something and you could talk about the Blazers banking on internal growth, theres interesting examples on the team right now of guys who have worked out (CJ) guys who didnt work out (ML).

Chris Craig likes this.
  10. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Good article. A couple nits to pick...

Cousins injury was a ruptured Achilles, not a torn ACL.

Mario Hezonja, a small forward, would not be "Someone to help shore up the middle...".

BNM

Chris Craig likes this.
  11. Chris Craig

Thanks for catching that. Fixed it.

12. Chris Craig

My next article!

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.