Ricky Davis.. 6th Man of the Year?

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by AA13, Mar 17, 2005.

1. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Red Auerbach has widely been credited with developing the sixth man role in basketball. His thinking was that if you take one of your top scorers and bring him off the bench, he'll be matched up with one of the opponents' weaker players when he enters the game.

Auerbach brought sixth men to the Celtics such as John Havlicek, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton and the first sixth man Frank Ramsey, which only makes it fitting that the 2004-05 Celtics have returned to their sixth man roots with one of the league's best, Ricky Davis.

Davis, who was penciled in as a starter coming out of training camp, was moved to the bench after just seven games. Skeptics wondered if Davis would accept the role, or even sulk and cause problems. But Davis has more than accepted the move? he's embraced his role as the Celtics energizer and big time scorer off the bench. </div>

Source

I think Ricky has been playing extremelly well coming off the bench. He has accepted his role and has been willing to do anything to help the team win.

2. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

As a big fan of davis I would like to see him win 6th man of the year. He's got strong competition when considering ben gordon.

3. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

And earl boykins and Antonio Mcdyess

4. Umer remU

Umer remU JBB Banned Member

i think ben gordon is gonna win the sixth man award not because of how many points he averages off the bench but the fact that he has 6 game winning shots

5. CeltsMan54

CeltsMan54 JBB JustBBall Member

Now that the Celtics have started to get into a groove and climb up well over .500, I think that you'll hear Ricky's name come up in the debate more and more. He's led directly to several wins in the last couple of weeks and while he may not have the 6 game winning shots, persay, the celtics would have lost many more games without him. The thing that I believes hurts Ricky chances is that he started the season in the starting lineup and most people still think of him in that capacity.

6. Phantom Balla

Phantom Balla JBB JustBBall Member

I think it should be Ricky Davis cuz his attitude has turned around and has helped Celtics. Hes averagin 15.6 pts, 3 rebs, and 1 stl (those were his best stats). Ben Gordon could also be the sixth man cuz he is averagin 14.9 pts, 2.6 rebs and 1.8 assists. By stats Ricky doin better but you never what could happen in these next weeks.

7. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I think Ricky has this award if his production doesn't slack or if Ben Gordon's doesn't pick up. Both Ricky and Ben are deserving of this award, but I think Ricky deserves it more. Everyone thought he was a cancer and it was a horrible move to trade for him, now look at him.

8. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Right now for 6th Man of the Year, Ricky Davis is the best bet but he's got some competition theres the forementioned Ben Gordon and the guy that nobody's even considered for this award who IMO is one of the best candidates, Donyell Marshall. If Donyell continues to produce like this for the rest of the season he could steal it from Ricky, but thats very unlikely so I'm gonna keep my money on Ricky.

9. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Yeah Gordon has really carried to where the Bulls are now but Ricky has really made a turnaround all season long and I think the NBA really looks for players that have made an impact all season long. But like it was said earlier it really may depend on what happens in the coming weeks, with the playoffs around the corner.

10. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

Gordon had another 10 point 4th quarter tonight

11. CeltsMan54

CeltsMan54 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting I-Miss-MJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Gordon had another 10 point 4th quarter tonight</div>
    And if points counted twice in the fourth quarter, that might mean something... [​IMG]

Look, I like Ben Gordon, followed him the whole time he was at Uconn and I always thought that he was the vocal leader of the National Champions. But I think that Bulls fans are focusing too much on his fourth quarter heroics. This is the award for 6th man of the year, not best NBA Closer. While scoring points in the 4th is important, I think the 6th man should contribute the entire game and make sure that they don't need to take a game winning shot at all.

12. CeltixQueen

CeltixQueen JBB JustBBall Member

There is no question that Ricky Davis Deserves the 6th man honors ! ! Correct me if I am wrong, Ben Gordon (the great player he is) has always been coming off the bench, Ricky hasn't. When new coach Doc Rivers arrived this year early in November he asked Ricky to move from his original spot in the starting lineup to help balance out the bench and Ricky surprisingly enough accepted his new role with pride, in order to help his team. Totally responsible for forming the Celtics second unit, which is arguably, one of the best in the league...Not only is he an extremely talented offensive player who at times acts as if he can never miss a shot, he is a wonderful defensive player as well. And best of all he has proved all his critics wrong, who expected this much out of a so-called "Selfish Punk"?

13. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Well said, Queen.
    Welcome to the forum!
    If you need any help with the site, feel free to ask.

14. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

It's ben gordan.

I don't think people are blowing his 4th quarter stats out of proportion. His play in the 4th quarter wins games. He's usually the best player in the fourth quarter, and on top of that puts up the stats. It shouldn't matter that he was never an NBA starter before.

Ben is the 6th man of the year.

15. CeltixQueen

Ricky has had plenty of great 4th quarters but I think it is a good consistant effort throughout the game that counts, 36 points, and 27 the next night itn't to shabby...

16. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I don't think Ricky will get it. He's been great, but Ben Gordon has been equally as good and even better at times than Ricky Davis. However, the thing that really works against Davis is the fact that he gets starter minutes despite coming off the bench. He gets close to 32 mpg compared to 23 mpg for Ben Gordon. And considering that they're equally productive, you have to give it to Gordon in that aspect. Also, Ben Gordon has not only been productive, he's been easily the most clutch rookie and possibly the most clutch player in the league this year. With 21(?) double digit fourth quarters, he is the league leader in that category, and that's gonna help him. And just remember this, he's only a rookie.

17. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think Ricky will get it. He's been great, but Ben Gordon has been equally as good and even better at times than Ricky Davis. However, the thing that really works against Davis is the fact that he gets starter minutes despite coming off the bench. He gets close to 32 mpg compared to 23 mpg for Ben Gordon. And considering that they're equally productive, you have to give it to Gordon in that aspect. Also, Ben Gordon has not only been productive, he's been easily the most clutch rookie and possibly the most clutch player in the league this year. With 21(?) double digit fourth quarters, he is the league leader in that category, and that's gonna help him. And just remember this, he's only a rookie.</div>All good points, but I honestly think you have to take a look at the politics involved. This issue is so debateable that we could spend 3 weeks arguing it and not make any progress. Therefore, I think that Ricky will get the benefit of the doubt because Gordon is the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year. The voters will be hesitant to give both of these awards to Gordon, so they'll take the easy way out and spread the wealth.

Also, I think the voters will take a look at the standings when voting. Whomever's team has the best record will have an advantage over the other. But in all honesty, after seeing Davis come off the bench all year, it'd be hard for these guys to vote against him.

18. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">All good points, but I honestly think you have to take a look at the politics involved. This issue is so debateable that we could spend 3 weeks arguing it and not make any progress. Therefore, I think that Ricky will get the benefit of the doubt because Gordon is the leading candidate for Rookie of the Year. The voters will be hesitant to give both of these awards to Gordon, so they'll take the easy way out and spread the wealth.

Also, I think the voters will take a look at the standings when voting. Whomever's team has the best record will have an advantage over the other. But in all honesty, after seeing Davis come off the bench all year, it'd be hard for these guys to vote against him.</div>

I agree with the points you make. It is going to be hard for Ben to win both ROY and 6th Man, but I think he can do it. To me though, it'd be hard to vote against him. He's been so clutch for the Bulls this year and he's been very productive in a lot less minutes than has Ricky, and if it wasn't for him coming up big in the fourth, the Bulls would not be where they are. That's a big reason why I think he deserves it. Ricky, I'll give it to him, has been very good. However, he's getting about eight more mpg and has just a slight edge in the ppg category and rpg and apg. To me, it's almost a toss up, but I still have to give it Gordon, even if he does win ROY, which I believe he will.

19. CeltixQueen

All good points....we can go on and on about Davis vs Gordon in points, but again I dont understand what is so big with what Gordon does in the fourth quarter? I said it before its a consistant game effort that counts, and as great as it is to have a solid offensive player in both Davis and Gordon it is also extremely important to have a strong deffensive player and a good team leader, someone who can get the team going on the right track, and no offense to Gordon but (being a rookie in all) Gordon isn't that.. And I am not saying he will not become it in the future but at this point in time I dont think he carries that quality...Ricky makes a lot of key plays throughout the entire game that makes himself better...

This was taken by an NBA anylsts... [​IMG]
    6th Man of the Year
    Winner: Ricky Davis, G, Boston -- The old adage that "it's not who starts the game, but who finishes it" certainly applies to Davis, who's often Boston's best player on the floor.
    Runner Up: Jerry Stackhouse, G, Dallas -- Actually gets hurt by the fact that Antawn Jamison won the award last season in the same role. Still, Stackhouse has taken to the role as a professional ace scorer off the pine.
    Charging to the Finish: Jim Jackson, G/F, Phoenix -- When the season is all said and done, Jackson will certainly have accumulated some gaudy statistics as the first option off the bench for the plentiful Suns.
    More like 12th Man: Brent Barry, G, San Antonio -- Supposedly one of the best acquisitions of the offseason, Barry has barely registered a blip on the NBA radar this season with his meager 6.5 points scoring average off the Spurs bench.

20. Iguodala

Iguodala JBB JustBBall Member

Ricky Davis deserves every bit Gordon is close but Davis will get it after watching his last games and what he did comming from the bench there will be no dought