Forum Game Rip City S2 Mock Off Season 2018: Pre-Free Agency Decisions

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by hoopsjock, Jun 20, 2018.

1. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    This thread is dedicated to pre-free agency decisions for all teams.

I have enlisted the help of some people (which I will be calling Super Agents) not playing to help me decide whether or not certain players accept or decline their player option if they haven’t yet in real life. We will try to factor real life in to the equation as well as the current teams. How I hope to do it is to have 3 separate people submit to me a list of whether or not they think a player will opt in or out and whatever option gets the most votes is how it will go down in the game.

For each team I will be making a post concerning decisions you have to make prior to free agency. These decisions include team options to pick up or decline, qualifying offers to extend to restricted free agents or to let them become unrestricted free agents, whether to renounce cap holds on free agents or keep their hold so you can keep their bird rights and go over the cap to sign them, and whether to guarantee certain players contracts or let them go.

I will give everyone a few days to make their decisions and then we will start free agency. Unless there are objections I have decided that free agency will also be using the same 3 super agents. How it will work is that each day you can submit pitches and offers to your own free agents and 3 additional free agents per day. Some free agents will sign immediately and some will wait it out. You are more than welcome to pitch a guy like Kevin Durant but keep in mind you might just be wasting one of your 3 daily offers. If you have just enough cap space to sign LeBron then you have to be careful who you offer other deals to because if someone else accepts your offer while LeBron is still deciding then you could end up with not enough money to sign him. Each day we will have updates and rumors. I’ll try to make sure it’s as realistic as possible but it is really hard to simulate. More details on free agency will be coming soon.

So when you are tagged in a post in this thread please try and make your decisions as quick as possible so we can get free agency started.

76ers: @TorturedBlazerFan Fan
    Bucks: @Chris Craig
    Bulls: @Nationalbballa
    Cavaliers: @BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94
    Celtics: @KeepOnRollin
    Clippers: @Fonzthecpt1
    Grizzlies: @BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94
    Hawks: @hoopsjock
    Heat: @TorturedBlazerFan
    Hornets: @PtldPlatypus
    Jazz: @Chris Craig
    Kings: @Dom McBlazer
    Knicks: @Chris Craig
    Lakers: @Nationalbballa
    Magic: @UKRAINEFAN
    Mavericks: @SwissBlazer
    Nets: @PtldPlatypus
    Nuggets: @tykendo
    Pacers: Vacant
    Pelicans: @Dom McBlazer
    Pistons: @Fonzthecpt1
    Raptors: @SwissBlazer
    Rockets: @BonesJones
    Suns: @BonesJones
    Spurs: @BonesJones
    Timberwolves: Vacant
    Thunder: @UKRAINEFAN FAN
    TrailBlazers: @KeepOnRollin in
    Warriors: @tykendo
    Wizards: @hoopsjock

Chris Craig likes this.
  2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    How about a "Results" thread? I don't know where the link to the final results spreadsheet is.

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    We will post the final results when it is done. If you go to the draft page you can see the link there for that.

BonesJones likes this.
  4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Are you thinking of somehow introducing an element of randomness into signings?

6. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    No, I'm not a fan of the randomness aspect or luck or chance. Teams will give their pitches and the agents will decide.

7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

How are we deciding who signs when?

8. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Totally up to the agents. If they are blown away by a pitch or an offer they will sign. Others will take their time because they think they're worth more.

BonesJones and Chris Craig like this.
  9. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    So this is what each team's decisions will look like (I'm using Atlanta's to show you). Keep in mind that during the off season you can carry up to 20 players on your roster but once the season starts you can only have 15 players, so you don't want to guarantee 18 players otherwise you'll have some major dead cap:

Atlanta Hawks (@hoopsjock)

Player Option Decisions:
    Dewayne Dedmon: Opted In (Real Life)
    Mike Muscala: (Not sure yet, will have decision by the time I post your team's status)

Team Option Decisions:
    None
    In your team you have to let me know whether to accept or decline any players that are listed here.

Non/Partial Guarantee Decisions:
    Antonious Cleveland: Can be on the team until 1/10 before contract guarantees, can cut at any point before the season starts and will not count against the cap
    Jaylen Morris: Can be on the team until 1/10 before contract guarantees, can cut at any point before the season starts and will not count against the cap

Qualifying Offers (This isn't their cap hold number but is an amount you have to offer your free agents that qualify in order to make them restricted free agents, if you decline to offer them a qualifying offer they will become unrestricted free agents. This also isn't the amount they will sign for unless that is negotiated during free agency. This offer is simply to retain their restricted rights):
    Malcolm Delaney: QO $3,125,000 Extend Offer Yes or No?
    Damion Lee: QO $1,537,872 Extend Offer Yes or No?

Unrestricted Free Agents (These players have a hold against your cap until you sign them or renounce them as free agents. If you renounce them you lose the ability to go over the salary cap to sign them. You don't have to renounce players until you need the money. For example, if Chris Paul is your free agent with a $30 million cap hold that counts against your salary, but you don't want to renounce him before seeing if you sign someone else first):
    None (very rare that there would be none)

Unless your team says otherwise, all 1st round picks will be signed for their rookie scale amount. 2nd round picks do not have a hold against your cap so you can wait to sign them if you are trying to maximize cap room or sign them right away if not. You can also choose to stash certain players as well. There are however minimum roster requirements so if you only have 9 players on your roster there are cap holds for 3 spots.

10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So should we make our own based on yours or did you say you were going to make them for each team

11. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I will post each teams decisions they have to make and then you decide.

BonesJones and Chris Craig like this.
  12. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Players with a PLAYER OPTION are finalizing their decisions. If anyone wants to provide a case for someone like LeBron or Paul George opting IN to their contract to be traded to their team please let me know via message as soon as possible.

Keep in mind that it is considered tampering for an organization itself to recruit or talk to these guys directly so it would have to be in the form of players on your team convincing him to come.

13. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Some of the Player Option decisions have been made (for those taking their sweet time in real life):

Garret Temple, Sacramento Kings (@Dom McBlazer) has OPTED IN to his $8,000,000 contract.

Milos Teodosis, LA Clippers (@Fonzthecpt1) has OPTED IN to his $6,300,000 contract.

DeAndre Jordan, LA Clippers (@Fonzthecpt1) has also OPTED IN to his $24,119,025 contract.

Wilson Chandler, Denver Nuggets (@tykendo) has OPTED IN to his $12,800,562 contract.

Carmelo Anthony, OKC Thunder (@UKRAINEFAN) has OPTED IN to his $27,928,140 contract.

Enes Kanter, NY Knicks (@Chris Craig) has OPTED IN to his $18,622,514 contract.

Joffrey Lauvergne, SA Spurs (@BonesJones) has OPTED OUT of his $1,656,092 contract.

Mike Muscala, Atlanta Hawks (@hoopsjock) has OPTED OUT of his $5,000,000 contract.

Paul George (@UKRAINEFAN) is said to be leaning towards opting out but has not made it official yet. Thaddeus Young (@hoopsjock) is on the fence and will make a decision soon. LeBron James (@BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94) likes that the Cavs brought in Kawhi Leonard but is still unsure of what he is going to do because the money is about the same either way but by opting out he leaves the door open to other options. Stay tuned for more details.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  14. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I have to give you a little good-natured ribbing here since it is one of your teams @hoopsjock but imo it is very unlikely Mike Muscala opts out.

15. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I know!!! I had made all my moves thinking he would opt in so needless to say I was pretty happy to see that he had opted out. After Dedmon unexpectedly opted in I guess it cancels those two out.

Just so we are clear I have 3 people from this site that I gave a list of player options not yet picked up and they voted in or out. I had no say in the decision process. I provided a brief sentence on major roster changes for each team so they could factor in the direction of each team into their decision as well. That is why they are still deciding for LeBron because the Cavs getting Kawhi is playing a role in the decision.

BonesJones likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Boston Celtics @KeepOnRollin

Team Option Decisions:

None

Non/Partial Guarantee Decisions

Daniel Theis $1,378,242 Guarantee or Waive for $0 towards cap

Abdel Nader $1,378,242 Guarantee or Waive for $450,000 towards cap

Semi Ojeleye $1,378,242 Guarantee or Waive for $901,965 towards cap

Qualifying Offers:

Marcus Smart $6,053,719 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold $13,614,060)

Jonathan Gibson $1,699,698 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold Same as Offer)

Jabari Bird $1,337,872 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold Same as Offer)

Unrestricted Free Agents (must keep cap hold if you want to re-sign to go over the cap if you have Bird Rights):

Greg Monroe $6,000,000

Aron Baynes $5,193,600

Shane Larkin $1,499,698

17. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

@hoopsjock

Guaranteeing Daniel Theis.

Waiving Abdel Nader

Guaranteeing Semi Ojeleye

Offering Marcus Smart to make him a Restricted Free Agent.

Not offering Jonathan Gibson. He is declined and now an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Offering Jabari Bird to make him a Restricted Free Agent.

Don't want cap hold for Greg Monroe. Cutting him loose.

We do want the cap hold for Aaron Baynes. Want to have Bird Rights on him.

Don't want the cap hold for Shane Larkin. Cutting him loose.

18. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Brooklyn Nets @PtldPlatypus

Team Option Decisions:

None

Spencer Dinwiddie $1,656,092 Guarantee or Waive for $250,000 towards cap

Isaiah Whitehead $1,544,951 Guarantee or Waive for $0 towards cap

Qualifying Offers:

Nick Stauskas $3,611.609 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold $11,421,441)

Unrestricted Free Agents (must keep cap hold if you want to re-sign to go over the cap if you have Bird Rights):

Jahlihl Okafor $6.313,832 (No Bird Rights)

Quincy Acy $1,499,868 (Early Bird Rights)

Dante Cunningham $4,370,000 (Full Bird Rights)

Joe Harris $1,499,698 (Early Bird Rights)

2-Way Players Extend QO offers to Milton Doyle or James Webb III

19. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Perfectly done!

KeepOnRollin likes this.
  20. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Chicago Bulls @Nationalbballa

Team Option Decisions:

None

Sean Kilpatrick $2,054,856 Guarantee or Waive for $0 towards cap

Paul Zipser $1,544,951 Guarantee or Waive for $0 towards cap

Qualifying Offers:

Zach Lavine $3,611,609 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold $9,606,653)

Noah Vonleh $3,611,609 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold $10,515,698)

David Nwaba $1,699,698 Offer to make Restricted Free Agent or Decline to make Unrestricted Free Agent (Cap Hold $1,699,698)

None

Two-Way Players:

Ryan Arcidiacono Offer QO or Release

Antonio Blakeny Already signed for year 2