RIP Roy Clark

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Yankeefan5545, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Roy Clark: virtuoso multi-instrument musician associated with Country Music but performed in other genres as well. He was a great fan of Mickey Mantle, played and sang at the Micks Funeral Service. Damn, another icon of mine has passed, RIP Sir your music was twenty flight.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  2. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

....^^^^

Michael, do you know if Roy Clark ever played with James Burton???

It was very honorable to see the statue of James Burton directed alongside Elvis Presley outside of the Louisiana Hayride after its restoration.
    We were living in Luzianna when a large movement sprung up to refurbish this national landmark, the hayride. My dad took me to so many shows I cannot count them all in 63/64 and again in 68/69. It was scheduled for Destruction and bulldozing, when a fairly large movement decided is fate was in the wrong hands...

Long live the legendary Roy Clark...

cagedlion and Lillie like this.
  3. Yankeefan5545

Retired

I don't know if they ever played together, could find no record of that on the net. I knew of Burton first through his work with Ricky Nelson. The an could play the hell out of a Telecaster. I first heard Roy Clark when "The Tips of My Fingers" came out in I think '63. Clark could damn near play anything with strings. I thought the overall presentation of "Hee Haw" was overly stereotypical but they did have some damn good performances. One of the best was Clark on guitar, Loretta Lynn singing. There have been many fine fretted Instrument Players from the Country Genre but when talking Clark & Burton you're in the upper strata.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  4. Mattingly23NY

One I meant to mention- who imho also soared in the upper Strata in a way all his own, picking and playing chords and Lead at the same time- Chet "the country gentlemen" Atkins....

But then he was unique unto his own, not always the high speed Hyper Sonic fingers of Clark and Burton. One thing I appreciated inheriting of my old man's was his Chet Atkins collection.

And then there was Albert Lea who took over for James Burton with Emmylou's Hot Band. Formerly of the British group , the Thunderbirds....

cagedlion likes this.
  5. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

One of the greats. Country music & Roy Clark forever.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  6. Yankeefan5545

Retired

There were some pretty damn good players in the Country Music Field. I'd have to say Atkins, Clark, Campbell, Burton, and Hank Garland were in the top tier. But even with all those fine pickers when it comes to straight playing & singing I best like the sound of the big open chords providing rhythm and vocals providing the melody.

7. Mattingly23NY

I was listening to Don William's doing a cover of "Sing Me Back Home", big open chords with smooth and solid vocals.
    Would this be what you mean, Michael??
    Or someone like it, one if many??

The Campbell/Webb connection was stunning...

Hank Garland, one of the most unsung heroes of rockabilly. From Elvis to Patsy Cline. From Johnny Cash to the Everly Brothers. From Roy Orbison, Boots Randolph to Charlie Parker. Not to mention the Byrdland guitar....

8. Yankeefan5545

Retired

Exactly, Don Williams was a favorite of mine, saw a lot of video of him in concert. The man was a sit down player, laid back as hell, his talent level needed no exhibitions of any time, and had Eric Clapton as a huge fan. Merle Travis, another guitar standout, names like that will pop in with any on going conversation. Now take a listen to Hank Williams doing "The Singing Waterfall". That's is chording and vocals right on the mark. Hank was my favorite and I sing/play many of his songs, Not the hits but the "B" side stuff. That man just had it. Ike Everly is also mentioned but but his sons had a nice style as well. Don Everly used alternate tunings on his guitar and the brothers blended well. Great harmonies when singing but IMO the Louvin Brothers were tops. Saw Charlie Louvin & Emmy Lou Harris cover Louvin tunes. That waman can flat out sing. Another guitar great somewhat in the wood pile was Doc Watson.