RIP Tyler Skaggs

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Messiah717, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Angels pitcher died earlier today in Texas. No details on the cause of death yet. Tonight's game has been postponed.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  2. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

So sad too young I will try to find out details if I can.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  3. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The only thing I've heard is that police were called to his room and he was found unresponsive.

Lillie likes this.
  4. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    Whoa, geezus that's extremely sad, extremely.!!!
    I know he was married, but I don't know if he ever had kids?

It has to be near impossible for players to keep their focus together enough to play ball immediately after the loss of a team mate in the middle of a season...

as you noted, still no word on the "How", or "Why", all I could find was this short bit:
    Update (5:28 p.m. ET): The Southlake Police Department has released a statement saying that Skaggs was found unresponsive in his hotel room this afternoon, and was pronounced dead at the scene:

:mellow:

Lillie likes this.
  5. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

I don't think he had any Kids but don't Quote me.

6. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Turned on MLB Network who is covering this and placing a priority over the whys and hows over MLB Games this evening. Flores, Reynolds, Rosenthal & Verducci. Damn shame a man passing in his prime.

Mattingly23NY and Lillie like this.
  7. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

I heard he has 1 Kid as per MLB Network.

8. Mattingly23NY

Even sadder.
    No children should have to grow up without both parents.

Lillie likes this.
  9. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

My brain just cannot get around this tragedy. Too young and his life was just beginning with wife and child.
    Too heart breaking. My condolences go out his wife, Carli & family members. May he R.I.P.

Lillie and Mattingly23NY like this.
  10. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

Angels have had their share of young players dying when on their roster. Too tragic.

Lillie likes this.
  11. Mattingly23NY

It is horrific indeed, as you noted- "his life was just beginning with wife and child".
    In these uncertain times, where single parents are the norm, and/or Fatherless children, as well as families with multiple fathers; it's a travesty of utmost proportions, for children and wife's to lose a Father/Husband soooo young.

My Brother passed of a major heart attack at 37 yrs young. He left behind a wife, a 5 and 8 yr old, 11 yrs ago.

The youngest, his Son has no recollections of his Daddy. His Daughter, the eldest has been all but destroyed, traumatized to this day. She has seen different shrinks all these years and is in and out of trouble constantly. Her head is seriously screwed up and probably always will be.

Both my Brother and his wife were LA County Deputy Sheriff's. 5 yrs after my Brother passed his Widow was hit head on in a Lexus small sports car, by a F-350, by a Man who had a fatal heart attack seconds b4 he went into her lane and hit her.

She would of been better off had she of passed. She lost one arm and suffered numerous broken bones too many to count, including her skull 7 places. She's had dozens of surgeries over 5 yrs. 14 surgeries in the 1st 8 months alone. She spent 10 months in ICU, and was hospitalized over 13 mos b4 she was sent to a Nursing facility for the following 4 yrs.

Both Kids haven't known normalcy and may never know such. They went to live with their Mothers 1st Husband and their half brother and sister after Moms accident.
    If all this weren't enough, their Step Dad, also a LA County Deputy, was involved in a scandal. He was a Capt who worked directly for the LA Co. Sherriff himself. The Sheriff ordered him to destroy evidence in a FBI sting and Investigation of the LASD. The LA Co. Sheriff, Baca got a 3 yr prison sentence.

Their step father, Tom Carey, the Capt. recently got out of prison after spending 9 mos. See **1st link below.

To make a long story short. Both of my brothers kids wound up living with their half brother and sister. This has worked out really well for them. Their half-brother, and sister; (from the same mother). The Brother is a LASD Deputy on patrol. Their sister works for the NFL. Between the 2, they can finally grow up in peace and comfort.
    They've been to the last 4 Super Bowls, courtesy of their big sister. Ntm- weekly Rams and Chargers games.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-sheriff-sentencing-carey-20170522-story.html

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-baca-sentenced-jail-sheriff-corruption-20170512-story.html

Here's a picture of my Sister In Laws Lexus after the accident. She had a ton of ammo in her trunk; which didn't allow firefighters to get to close to the vehicle. With the help of one patron saint; she was cut loose from her safety belt unconscious with her car a blazing inferno, certain death without that Saint....

Carries car.jpg

cagedlion and Lillie like this.
  12. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

How Sad.

cagedlion likes this.
  13. Mattingly23NY

Latest Update in Tyler Skaggs death.~

Autopsy revealed both Fentanyl and Oxycodone in Skaggs blood, as well as Alcohol. Results were released Yesterday.

Skaggs Widow has submitted a "Wrongful Death" Lawsuit vs the Angels, and perhaps an Angels Employee.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ange...aggs-death-drugs-angels-employee-legal-battle

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor.../tyler-skaggs-death-tragic-memory/2168053001/

Excerpt from USA Today article:

The heartbreak for the Skaggs family, his teammates and friends, is knowing that those sentiments and feelings expressed for Skaggs at the time of his death, may dramatically change now.

There is less compassion and sympathy, and the condolences disappear.

It’s the way our society operates.

The Miami Marlins grieved and talked about building a statue and retiring Jose Fernandez’s uniform number when he was killed Sept. 25, 2016, in a boating accident near Miami.

Those plans were halted when the autopsy report a month later revealed cocaine and a blood alcohol content of .147 was found in his system, with two friends, Jesus Macias and Eduardo Rivero, also being killed.

The St. Louis Cardinals and baseball world mourned when 22-year-old outfielder Oscar Taveras and his 18-year-old girlfriend, Edilia Arvelo was killed Oct. 27, 2014, in a car crash. Two weeks later, the sympathy waned when toxicology reports revealed his blood alcohol level was .284, more than five times the legal limit in the Dominican Republic.

cagedlion and Lillie like this.
  14. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    This is crazy. Why should the team by liable? Unless someone comes out and says the team doctor laced these drugs in Skaggs b-12 shot...basically lying to the kid, the kid should be soley responsible for what happens to his body.

Or is the angles employees sticking needles into players who are sleeping ok the team bus or plane..

15. Mattingly23NY

....^^^^

Exactly Al.

Seems peeps so often try to blame anyone other than themselves...

Lillie likes this.