Rogers Clemens shines in return

Discussion in 'Other Baseball' started by truebluefan, Aug 26, 2012.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Roger Clemens raved about all the fun he had pitching at age 50 and putting smiles on the faces of Sugar Land baseball fans.

Still, it wasn't enough to set his mind on a major league comeback -- at least not yet.

"No," Clemens said. "I've had success before at that level and other things. Again, it's a great deal of work and I'm not thinking that at this point."

Pitching for the first time in five years, Clemens tossed 3 1-3 scoreless innings Saturday night for the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League.

He faced the Bridgeport Bluefish and struck out two, including former major leaguer Joey Gathright to start the game. He allowed one hit without a walk and threw 37 pitches.

Scouts from the Houston Astros and Kansas City Royals were on hand to see Clemens' comeback -- for however long it lasts and wherever it leads.

"I think it will fuel that speculation," Royals pro scout Ron Toenjes said after watching the performance. "I just don't know what will happen. I don't think anyone does."

Clemens received a standing ovation when he left the game. He stopped to tip his cap to the overflow crowd of 7,724 before heading into the dugout to begin recuperating and see how his body responds to his big night.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8303548/roger-clemens-impressive-comeback-sugar-land-skeeters