Romamerica

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Jul 4, 2011.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Roma were purchased by Thomas DiBenedetto, a Boston based businessman, on April 16, 2011. DiBenedetto is a part of the Fenway Sports Group that owns the Boston Red Sox (and Fenway Park), Liverpool (and Anfield), Class A baseball's Salem Red Sox, and half of NASCAR's Roush Fenway Racing.

Since DiBenedetto's purchase, rumors have been flying involving Roma looking to bring in an American player. DiBenedetto has stated that he is looking specifically for an American player and has scouted MLS.

And now for the rumors, with likelihood included:
    - SCOUTED - Reports have Roma taking looks at New York's Juan Agudelo, Anderlecht's Sacha Kljestan, US U17 Captain Marc Pelosi, and Hertha's Alfredo Morales.

- REJECTED - Rumors and reports dropped that Roma made a €10 million offer to MLS for Landon Donovan. Donovan has no intention of leaving.

- WHO IS THAT OTHER GUY - While watching Donovan at the Galaxy, Roma noticed their 6'5" defender Omar Gonzalez. While Gonzalez is a very imposing physical player, and is very young, I'm not sure he has the technical accumen needed for Serie A. After getting a start for the US in August against Brazil, he seems to have slid down the depth chart and is behind Clarence Goodson and Tim Ream. He's young and will play in Europe someday, but I don't see him having the talent to stick with a club with Roma's ambition.

- NOT INTERESTED - Roma looked at Clint Dempsey, but doesn't want him for two reasons. First, at 28, Director of Football Walter Sabatini considers Dempsey to be too old. This is interesting as Dempsey is 370 days younger than Donovan. The more logical reason is that while Dempsey is clearly good, Sabatini cannot determine exactly what position he plays. This makes a lot more sense as he started in MLS as a central midfielder, then moved ahead into a playmaker role before moving to the wing with Fulham, but has featured at forward for Fulham and the United States.

- NOT INTERESTED - Jonathan Spector and Brek Shea are two more players who fit into the what position do they play mold. Also of note, Spector isn't really that good. Shea appears to have found his position with FC Dallas this season as he has 8 goals since moving out to the left wing. Due to restrictive transfer policies in Serie A, both Spector and Shea are attractive to Roma as they have EU passports from Germany and Norway respectively.

- THINKING ABOUT IT - Nuremburg's Timothy Chandler is in the mix. Roma scouts reportedly like what they see from the US rightback in waiting. However, this would probably be a move for the future as the 21-year-old has just 14 first team appearances. While he's a clear starter for Nuremburg, Roma would probably go with someone more proven unless Chandler really does well in training. While he's capable of that in my limited opinion, I'd rather see him stay as a assured starter at Nuremburg before making a big step up to a club like Roma. His German citizenship is a cosiderable bonus.

- IN CONSIDERATION - Aston Villa's Eric Lichaj drew some looks from Roma's scouts while he was with Leeds. After a strong performance at the Gold Cup, I'm sure the interest has increased. Villa is also probably more inclined to hang on to him as he looks like he's going to be a good one. Like Chandler, the Lichaj move would be one with a look to the future as he has just five Premier League appearances and 36 senior appearances in his young career. He holds a Polish passport, which adds to the interest.

- LET'S CHAT - Schalke's man on the outs, Jermaine Jones, sat down and chatted with Roma before the Gold Cup started. Roma assumably stuck around to watch the Gold Cup as well, where Jones' performance was a mixed bag highlighted by a dominant performance against Jamaica. Jones may be the most established of the group Roma has looked at, but he's also approaching 30 and wouldn't make sense unless Daniele DeRossi is sold. Blackburn are probably the leaders for Jones' services where he had 8 yellows in 15 appearances after a January loan.

- WE LIKE HIM - Gladbach's Michael Bradley has drawn looks from Roma, despite his loan to Villa fizzling out with just two appearances. Bradley gave a typical steady but unspectacular performance through the Gold Cup. Given that he doesn't have an EU passport, I'd say its unlikely that he'll move to Roma, despite any interest they may have. His contract at Gladbach is up at the end of the 11-12 season so he's likely to move, but I don't see him having a lot of interest, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to Holland.

- IT MAKES SENSE - More Villa mentions here as Roma have made eyes at Brad Guzan. Roma's goal keeping situation is far from steady as Doni, Julio Sergio and Bogdan Lobont have alternated as the first choice. Guzan meanwhile proved on loan at Hull that he is a serious keeper and at 26, he's ready for someone's number one shirt. Roma are seeking a keeper, but had a bid for Ajax' Maarten Stekelenburg rejected.

2. agoo

agoo Member

Good and bad news regarding this project.

First the good news. Serie A has upped the non-EU roster restriction for this season, making a non-EU American less of an issue for the club going forward.

And the bad news. Apparently Thomas DiBenedetto's deal to buy the club hasn't been finalized. duNord reported that a couple days ago, but there was no attached article to go with it, so I don't know what's going on there.

3. agoo

agoo Member

Looks like DiBenedetto will be holding a press conference on Thursday to announce that his purchase has become official and will follow-up on Friday to formally introduce Luis Enrique as the new manager.

Michael Bradley also has other Italian suitors in Napoli (long standing interest there) and Bologna.