Rondo Averaging Triple-Double

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by KG5, Apr 27, 2009.

1. KG5

KG5 Rondo's #1 Fan

I knew Rondo was good, but this good??

Vs Chicago
    Game 1: 29 pts, 12-21 fg, 9 reb, 7 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, 1 to
    Game 2: 19 pts, 7-18 fg, 12 reb, 16 ast, 5 stl, 2 to
    Game 3: 20 pts, 8-15 fg, 11 reb, 6 ast, 5 stl, 3 to
    Game 4: 25 pts, 9-18 fg, 11 reb, 11 ast, 2 stl, 1 to

His averages over four games are:
    23.2 Pts, 10.7 Reb, 10 Ast, 3.5 Stl, 1.75 To

This kid is averaging a triple double despite having Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on his team. Wow!

2. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

"Despite having Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on his team"?

Try because he has Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on his team.

3. KG5

KG5 Rondo's #1 Fan

I think despite is the right word.

Sure his assists increase because he has Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.. but he is averaging 20 ppg and 10 rpg.. despite being the third option behid Ray Allen and Paul Pierce and often being the smallest man on the floor.

4. bbwSwish

His points per game aren't increased by having Ray Allen and Paul Pierce on the floor? If you're an opposing coach, your best perimeter defenders are going on those two guys. Also, I've seen Pierce get doubled throughout this series which makes Rondo's job a lot easier. All of the attention placed on these two guys frees up Rondo A LOT.

I'll give him credit for the boards, he does hit the glass well. But his assists and points? That's because of the talent around him.

I've been impressed with Rondo this series but I still believe he has benefited a ton from constantly having multiple All-Stars beside him.

5. KG5

KG5 Rondo's #1 Fan

Point taken.

He does benefit from having the All-stars but I really think he doesn't get enough credit for what he has done. Having all those all-stars should not make a triple-double average any less spectacular..

and the way he went head to head with Derrick Rose in game 1 was amazing!

6. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    So I guess Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, and John Stockton weren't really great players either, they were/are just the beneficiaries of talent. Its your own reasoning.

7. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Kidd never had as talented players as Pierce, Allen, or KG around him. Ever.

8. bbwSwish

When did Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, or John Stockton play with three All-Stars that were in their prime and arguably the best at what they do? He plays with arguably the best power forward of all-time, a top scorer in the league, and the best three point shooter of all-time outside of Reggie Miller.

Don't get me wrong, Rondo has improved. His jumpshot is much more consistent, and I mean MUCH MORE, and he has more confidence but you can't tell me that he's ever had it hard. What point guard not named Eddie House could possibly struggle in that offense? Sure, Rondo has done well in the situation and his triple double is impressive but it's in large part because of the talent around him.

Put Rondo in Derrick Rose's position and he wouldn't match Rose's productivity, nonetheless average a triple double.

9. bbwSwish

Thank you! Kidd, Nash, and Stockton all made their teammates better, not vice versa. Rondo's teammates, three potential Hall of Famers in their primes, are much, much better than anyone Kidd, Nash, or Stockton had around them.

10. JE

JE Suspended

Irrelevant. Find me a great point guard that doesn't/didn't have weapons around him.

FTR, KG hardly factors into this, since a) he's not even playing in the playoffs, where Rondo is averaging the triple-double in question, and b) this season he was a shell of himself on offense.

11. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

In other words you're wrong about Kidd.

I factored KG into Rondo's season; not playoffs. Even without KG, Pierce and Allen are enough of a factor for Rajon to average a triple-double. I give Rondo some credit, but I still stand by my believe that Allen and Pierce are the reason he's having such sensational numbers.

12. JE

JE Suspended

So Kidd having a Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter is nowhere near the level of Rondo having Pierce and Allen. With Kidd, it was a matter of him making these guys better, but with Rondo, its a matter of him being the beneficiary of other players' talent. Despite the fact that Rondo is probably the most similar player to Kidd in his prime to come along since Kidd began to decline.

lolwut

Switch Rondo and Rose, and the Bulls are winning this series, and Rondo's numbers are even better. If you want to give other players the credit for Rondo having amazing numbers, then I guess you'll admit that Kidd putting up amazing numbers was the doing of his teammates as well. Right?

13. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Just the fact that Rondo has haters is enough to prove how good he is.

14. bbwSwish

Haha, Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter equal Ray Allen and Paul Pierce? Please. :lol: And please, don't compare Rondo to Kidd.

And switching Rondo and Rose would lead to a decrease in Rondo's stats and the Celtics would be winning. If you can't see that, you're too biased to debate with.

15. JE

JE Suspended

Typical strawman and complete ignorance of the actual point. Where did I compare Jefferson/Carter to Allen/Pierce? The reason they were mentioned was because they were proven scoring weapons for each of the point guards in play (Rondo and Kidd). Do you deny that Carter and Jefferson were the kind of weapons that could make a point guard's job a hell of a lot easier?

Why shouldn't I compare Rondo to Kidd? Who was the last point guard you remember to be a nightly triple double threat?

lol

Rondo's points per game would increase for sure (remember Chicago isn't short on perimeter weapons either), his rebounds would be unaffected, his assists might see a slight dip. Rose is a far less friendly fit for a team like the Celtics. Rose has more of a scorer's 'I'm going to take this game over' mentality, while Rondo has a mentality geared more towards facilitating, distributing, and defending. Why would switching out the Celtics' perfect point guard for essentially another scorer make them do any better than they currently are?

16. KG5

KG5 Rondo's #1 Fan

What was Kidd averaging when he was Rondo's age?? Was he an immediate superstar?

17. bodyman5001

bodyman5001 Genius

auto collision technician
    Rondo smacking Miller in the face when he had no shot at the ball was very smart. Kinda dirty, but not really obviously dirty so as I said, SMART.

18. JE

JE Suspended

He was Jesus.

19. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

This sounds like a 'which came first the Chick or the egg?' arguement.

Best example I can think of is Devin Harris. Did he benefit from having all that talent around him in Dallas or was he held back?
    looks like he was held back.

So you could argue that Rondo's numbers would be even better if he was on an inferior team just like Harris if you wanted to ;)

20. ivey

ivey Member

That guy really is great. He could be one of my favorites, but he's in Boston, so....

Averaging triple double is still sick, no matter who's around you.