Rudy Fernandez = Rip Hamilton

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

The more I see Rudy, the more I see a glaring resemblance to Rip Hamilton.

They both move great and extremely quick without the ball, and are great at stumping their defenders to get an open shot. This is the main reason. When I was watching the Houston game, I swear it was Rip out there instead of Rudy.

They are both sneaky players on defense, sometimes grabbing the opponents jerseys behind the ref's backs.

They can both play point guard for awhile. (Though you don't want them as your main point)

Both great shooters and finishers.

Rudy isn't Manu. He plays a lot better off the ball, unlike Manu who plays better with the ball in his hands.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    That's exactly what I though watching Rudy tonight going through all those screens. Similar builds and both are good passers. Overall, it's the closest NBA comparison for Rudy.

3. Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor Member

I can definitely see that in their off-the-ball movement. Rudy's definitely a better 3-point threat though, while Rip is better with those nasty mid-range jumpers. The guy Rudy reminds me of a little bit (right down to the extremely skinny physique and sometimes awkward-looking legs flying around everywhere) is Reggie Miller.

Although, truth be told, if he ends up having an NBA career even close to either of those guys, I'd be pretty happy :)

SR

4. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    One of the other comparisons was Kevin Martin. I never thought that was an accurate comparison because Rudy is a very good passer. Kevin, though insanely efficient, doesn't look to pass. His career average of 1.6 APG is on par with Zach Randolph's 1.6 APG. Rudy just brings a whole different dimension to the court with his court vision and passing.

5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Close, but still off. I don't think any of those guys (Rip, Reggie, K-Mart) have Rudy's insane court vision.

6. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I see Petro!

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I think Rudy has more skills than Rip.

8. C_note

C_note Active Member

Rudy is better than Rip Hamilton. Rudy = Manu Ginobili imo

9. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    1/3 Rip 1/3 Reggie Miller 1/3 Rudy [one-of-a-kind]

10. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
  11. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That's exactly who I was thinking of. They aren't identical, but there is a definite resemblance (I think Reggie Miller mentioned this during tonight's broadcast).

I'm just glad Rudy is Rudy; that's plenty.

12. BengalDuck

BengalDuck Well-Known Member

(To the OP) I thought you weren't allowed to make comparisons across races?

I think the comparisons to Manu are a bit overzealous. Rudy cannot drive and finish the way Manu can in the NBA...or at least I really really don't believe he can. Manu has become a top 10 player in this league, when healthy. Rudy's ceiling is not that high.

I am not old enough to have seen Drazen.

I think Rudy is a lot like Kerry Kittles. Deadly shooter from both 3-pt and mid-range. Can create his own shot (well, KK could when he was healthy). Rudy is probably a bit headier as a player, though, and certainly flashier. Also has a bit of Allen Houston in his game.

13. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Kittles wasn't nearly the passer of Rudy. This is a big part of Rudy's game.

14. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I told Reggie to say that!!!

15. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Manu is Top 10 player? And yet, many in here argued that Roy deserved the All Star spot over Manu. And indeed, Roy did get the spot. So is Roy a Top 10 player?

As for Rudy, I think his ceiling is the sky. He can absolutely become a superstar in this league. Look at players like Dirk and Parker and Steve Nash and even Manu. They didn't hit the ground running like Rudy has. Manu didn't even average 8 ppg in his rookie year. Meanwhile, Rudy is playing like a vet, scoring over 14ppg in his first five games as a pro and against the best teams in the league.

Rudy's ceiling is the sky. I think he could be MVP one day.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  16. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Manu is one of the more overrated players in the NBA. He can't play big minutes because he breaks down, and if a player can't play big minutes there's no way he deserves to be mentioned amongst the game's elite

With that being said, he does some things better than Rudy does, and I see the Rip comparison making sense. I think that Rip might be a better on-ball defender, but Rudy plays the passing lanes very well and he's a much better three point shooter than Rip was, especially earlier in his career.

Go, Rudy!

Ed O.

17. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I've never seen Rip dunk in Dwight Howard's face. That's what I meant by saying Rudy had more skills than Rip.

18. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I can see where your coming from with how he plays off the ball on offense. But, Rudy relies on his outside game and getting to the hoop either by an ally-oop or a slick drive. Rip uses his mid-range game more than any other SG I've probably ever seen.

19. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Rudy is one of a kind. He is himself. He has a little bit of lots of other players in him, but what makes him great is that he adds all those players up with a little flair of himself in there.

Too hard to really compare him, but Petro, Manu, Miller, Hamilton and a little bit of Martin's efficiency is kinda what I think he plays like.

20. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    That's silly. First of all, you don't KNOW he can't play big minutes: Pop doesn't play him big minutes.

And by Mill's method of difference, Manu is obviously one of the all-time greats. Look at San Antonio without him.

Manu is, if anything, underrated. His health is an issue, but so what? Is Keats not a good poet because he died young? The only SG obviously better than Manu is Kobe Bryant. And Kobe doesn't have a World Championship. (He has an NBA championship or three, but so does Manu, and that's not the Worlds.)

Sergio made the Kevin Martin comparison, and I think that's more apposite than Rip. Rip is king of the mid-range game and barely shot three pointers for most of his career. Rudy moves until he's open behind the three point line. Rip comes off screens a lot more. Rudy is sort of Kevin Martin + flashy passing. (Also, when was the last time you saw Rip Hamilton finishing off an alley-oop?)