Rumor of Giants shipping Sanchez to Indians for DeRosa

Discussion in 'San Francisco Giants' started by jason bourne, Jun 7, 2009.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I'm a old school guy who like power at the corners and OF. DeRosa sounds like good deal for the Giants. What do you think?

Giants would ship Sanchez to Indians for DeRosa?

The San Francisco Giants are one of many teams in need of a bat if they are to remain competitive for the better part of the summer.

According to the Boston Globe, the Giants have had internal discussions about Cleveland Indians third baseman Mark DeRosa(notes), who may, or may not, be available depending upon which rumor is out there at the times.

The Globe reported the Giants would part with lefty Jonathan Sanchez(notes)."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/...t=Ajpl_2Hn1XClqMEXfyRObSco0bYF?urn=mlb,168508

7. Mark DeRosa, 3B, Indians: There are still a lot of rumblings about his availability. With so many teams needing hitters and good chemistry guys, the Indians may have to consider a deal. The Giants are pounding the door for hitting, and DeRosa's name has popped up in their internal meetings. The Giants would part with lefty Jonathan Sanchez.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2009/06/07/the_trickiness_of_the_trade/?page=5

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I'd rather pursue a younger hitter with more pop. De Rosa is over 30 already and on the downside of his career. He hits a lot of doubles, but he's not a 30+ HR hitter the team needs.

I'm really hoping we can put a package together for Ryan Braun "the Hebrew Hammer."

I hate losing a lefty pitcher in Sanchez, but he should be expendable with Noah Lowry coming back.

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah DeRosa seems pointless. Hes a nice hitter but not really what we need plus hes 34. I'd rather just keep Sanchez since I don't think we'd get anything better than a deRosa type player for him.

Where'd you hear Lowry is coming back? I wouldn't mind moving Sanchez to the bullpen and get rid of Howry.

4. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I should've know. It's Sabean.

5. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

we need hitting in the worst way, if dealing our #5 starter is they way to get it, get it done.

alderson and/or bumgardner will be able to take his spot by the end of the year.

6. Run BJM

Sadowski pitched solidly today and Sanchez got a sweet save in the 9th. Sanchez hit Fielder in the first AB but struck out the next 3. Still don't trust him very much but if this Sadowski kid continues to do ok and Sanchez does well in the pen then we could actually swing Merkin or Sanchez or some other bullpen guy to the Nats for Nick Johnson and lose little or nothing from our own pen.

7. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Would you guys make a deal for Matt Holliday?

8. Run BJM

I heard a sports radio talking head bring that one up the other day. He, like Nick Johnson, is a one year rental type of guy. I'd lean more towards Johnson because a) I think we wouldn't have to trade as much to get him, b) hes a corner infielder and we need one of those who can hit to put opposite Sandoval, and c) I don't think we have much room at OF since Rowand and Schierholtz are tearing it up and Winn is still going to be an every day guy because hes a great RF and hits decently.

Holliday would certainly be flashier and potentially much more rewarding. How would he do in pac bell though? Thats a big yard and hes been struggling so far with the A's. I'd certainly welcome a trade for him but I wouldn't give anything too valuable. Hes got the potential to put us over the edge if he re-gains his Rockies form but hes also got the potential to only be a marginal upgrade over Winn or Schierholtz which could be bad if we give up a lot for him (then he walks at the end of the year?).

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I'd also prefer Nick Johnson over Holliday as a temporary solution. His swing is perfect for Pac Bell and he should be able to find the gaps and rack up doubles.