S2 is moving to new software

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Denny Crane, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY. If you have questions, feel free to ask in this thread.

This coming saturday night/sunday morning (Pacific Time), SportsTwo will be off the air for about an hour. When it comes back on the air, we will be running all new software. This is very exciting for SportsTwo going forward.

First, let me say that now is a very good time to do the move, before the upcoming NFL and NBA seasons get into high gear.

Now, about the new software. It is a combination of the vBulletin 3.7.2 (the latest and greatest version) message board/forum software and a very cool community based publishing system called Drupal.

Everyone is going to love vBulletin for our forums. At the time we installed IP Boards, it was maybe a cut above vB3, but vB3 has made a LOT of advancements since and it is just awesome to use. All of our forums and posts and private messages and avatars and signatures will be imported directly into vB3 on Saturday/Sunday; when the site comes back online, we'll continue our message board posting using this great software instead of IPB. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be disappointed, though it's going to be a little different at first. Please be patient and get to know it, I suspect you all will grow to love it within minutes!

Drupal, as I said before, is a community based publishing system. It gives the site customiazable landing pages for every sport or area of interest. It has an awesome live chat room implementation: it archives chat sessions and you can go back later and continue on with the chat session. It has blogs and articles and books and web pages and views. Drupal will instantly give us all the ability to organize things like the GM draft and JCB's and BasX's awesome player profiles in a much better presentation.

Drupal gives us a robust article system like you see on sites like bleacherreport.com. We're really going to step up our efforts to produce this kind of content and facilitate you all in becoming sports writers if you so desire. It has a great commenting system so people can comment on your articles.

Drupal is fully integrated with the message board. Once you have a login, you can post away like normal, or start using the new features.

A big change for us is going to be how the community is organized. Right now we have admins and commissioners and producers and global moderators and moderators and posters. Going forward, we'll be adding all kinds of new positions, like the writing team or skinning/gfx teams that enable anyone to access additional features of the software.

At first, the Drupal side of things is going to be quite empty. It's VERY easy to use (easy as creating a thread), and I have no doubt people are going to really enjoy all the new features. We're basically becoming a message board on steroids.

The new site has a fairly basic, but not horribly unattractive skin on it. We'll be asking people to help out with making it look better and better over time. We will now have the ability to create a gfx/skinning team and give them access to create and modify the various look and feel attributes of the sites pages and team forums.

Perhaps the best thing about this move is we're really going to be more "By Sports Fans" than ever before.

Between now and Saturday night, we're going to open up the new site for everyone to look at, login, play around, and get to see what the buzz is about.

<span style="color:#ff0000">Your IPB password should work; your login is your DISPLAYED name on this site, not your normal login name on this site. </span>If you login as "abc" but your display name is "Joe" then you login on the new site as "Joe."

The TEMPORARY URL for the new site is:
    http://sportstwo.net

Feel free to go there and login and play around. <span style="color:#ff0000">Report any issues in this thread!</span> Whatever we post and create over there will be wiped out on Saturday night.

2. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    You can PM me here or AIM me at S2DennyCrane if you have immediate issues to be resolved.

3. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Good to hear. Hopefully it brings the forums to the next level.

4. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Somebody go on there and post in the RTT, please

5. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Why do I have to click on "quick" so that I can quick reply? That gets annoying

6. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Aug 11 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why do I have to click on "quick" so that I can quick reply? That gets annoying</div>

I just mentioned that in the other RTT.

I'm excited for this.

7. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    I think this is pretty cool too.

8. pegs

pegs My future wife.

9. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    I mentioned this on the new site but I'll post it again:

"I noticed a default page here has half the posts per page (e.g. RTT has twice the pages here). The auto spell checker is not active right now either." Minor issues though.

10. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    It'll take 1 or 2 days to shake out the little nits like # posts per page. Trivial to fix [​IMG]

11. JCB

JCB The Savage Nation

Student
    The text for our names looks big to me.

12. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    user name size is a trivial css change, a job for skinning team

13. soul driver

soul driver Member

as always, thanks to denny and all for the hard work on this site. I may be a "net guy" but in recent weeks I've started going out to other forums here and it's been great. Can't wait to see the new site develop, looks good already!

14. zєяσ

zєяσ Truth is beautiful

Denny, I remember that you posted another S2 beta link showing off a brand new S2 format and the such a while back. If I can, I'll try and see if I an the link for thread to which I'm referring to.

Now, will that new S2 ever come into play?

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We had serious issues with the javascript toolkit we were using, so we had to scrap a lot of work on the desktop version of the site.

The good news is a desktop version of the new site is basically a skin with a lot of javascript making it alive, and the javascript toolkit that drupal uses is the one I'd use. All is good.

16. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    Looks pretty good. JCB is right though the usernames are huge.

17. zєяσ

zєяσ Truth is beautiful

The new posts feature is screwy-the today's posts option keeps me more up to date. Such as, I just posted in the RTT there, but new posts isnt updated, but the today's posts feature is updated.

EDIT: Why arent the threads i subscribed to are not appearing in the usercp? In the usercp panel, I enable no email notification instead of no subscription.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Read this carefully:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.</div>

The last sentence.

There's more than one way to view posts/threads you care about. Subscribe to them and they show up on your usercp, for example.

vB3's feature is NEW posts, not recent posts, so it shows only threads with posts you haven't read already.

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The subscription takes effect when you post in a thread.

On your usercp in the left column is a link that'll show you subscribed threads that you've already read.

If you subscribe to a forum, it'll show up on your usercp always.

20. zєяσ

zєяσ Truth is beautiful

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Aug 11 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Read this carefully:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If you enable Quick Reply, a box will appear on the showthread.php page allowing users to reply to the current thread without needing to load the full newreply.php page.

When Quick Reply is enabled, you may specify whether or not users must click the Quick Reply icon in order to start typing in the Quick Reply editor.

If you choose not to require a click, the system will not know to which post a user is replying, making both the threaded and hybrid display modes nonsensical.

We strongly recommend that you set the option to require a click if you use Quick Reply and have Threaded Mode available on your forums.</div>

The last sentence.

There's more than one way to view posts/threads you care about. Subscribe to them and they show up on your usercp, for example.

vB3's feature is NEW posts, not recent posts, so it shows only threads with posts you haven't read already.
    </div>
    EDIT: NVM, I have to click the view all subscribed threads link. :<