Sabas Speaks!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

These statements were taken from a recent interview with Arvydas Sabonis. He is currently playing in the Euroleague.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You seemed to surprise a lot of people with your rejection of a multi-million-dollar NBA contract to return to Zalgiris. Was it still a difficult decision?

"Not so much. I had just become fed up with the life I was living there lately. I mean, me in Portland, my family in Torremolinos. Also, I had been missing from European basketball for quite a long time, so I was curious to test myself against the Euroleague, the best of continental basketball, as a benchmark. In general, the years are passing by so quickly and my career is already close to the end. I had promised Zalgiris I would play one season with them again, so it was time to keep my word. And I did not want to do it some time later in a formal way, just sitting on the bench and watching others play or by engaging myself in some crazy show on the court. So, I had to return now, when I still can give myself to the game one hundred percent. As for what concerns those millions, one cannot have all the money in the world. It would never be enough if one starts thinking just in terms of money."

But you are rather far away from your family even now...

"There is no other way. We'll have to be patient for another year. I have it in my book, so I have to keep my word. Had I opted for remaining in the NBA, I would have had to postpone everything by one or two years. Who knows what might happen in the meantime." </div>

Full Story

Great to see one of the former Blazers doing well, and getting some recognition. He was always a classy guy, and has proved that some players are in it for the game, and not the money.

2. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

True. Just imagine if he had played immediately after the '86 draft instead of waiting a decade, along with guys like Glide, Porter, Kersey, Duckworth and Williams. Woulda won a title in '90, IMO.

3. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

Yup, some say that Sabas is the best center of all time (yeah, I said it). In his prime he was AMAZING! Too bad he wasn't in the US for those years. Imagine Shaq going up against Sabas in his prime, great battle that would make......

Also, Sabas is one the only big men (let alone centers) that can shoot threes. He was very underrated.