Sam Cassell looking to join Golden State

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Clif25, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?cont...doff_042707.asx

I watched this clip from TNT Overtime on nba.com. I thought it was an interesting listen, mostly about Cassell and Kenny Smith being teammates and their experiences as players on the same team. I think this is where TNT's basketball conversations are usually the most interesting, since it's not analyzing current teams. But near the end he talks about wanting to become a head coach in the NBA, wanting to be be like Avery Johnson, and joining Don Nelson at Golden State. He says that he's been talking to Nelson about it.

My first impression was that, I'd love to see Sam Cassell come to the Warriors next season to be a PG (as a backup to Baron and help tutor Monta) and start adjusting to being an assistant coach, a la Avery Johnson did with Dallas, first being a player for a little while, then an assistant. However he is under contract with the Clippers for next season. I guess potentially this could have some conflict with Keith Smart, which is not a very sexy conversation now since we're in the middle of the playoffs. But I thought I'd share it. It may be something to think about in the future.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Having Cassell here would be awesome. For such an unathletic guy, he was so smart, had excellent finesse on his shots, and had good leg strength. He's a winner.

3. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Smart should be coaching somewhere next year. I wouldn't worry too much about that potential conflict.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">CohanHater Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Smart should be coaching somewhere next year. I wouldn't worry too much about that potential conflict.</div>

Nice sig

5. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

Your team is already full of guards. Why would you need another one?

6. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

He'd be playing a player-coach role similar to what Avery Johnson did, although Johnson actually retired the playing part of his role earlier than expected.

7. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Your team is already full of guards. Why would you need another one?</div>

Well the team has a lot of 2's and 3's. But it only has one point guard in Baron Davis. Monta Ellis makes progress at times, but he's still very inconsistant. Sarunas may be a PG, but he's just too slow to do much on this team effectively. Adding another PG, especially like Cassell, can help the Warriors during the regular season and in games when Baron comes out. So far in this series for an example, when Baron's on the bench the team becomes kind of lost. However due to Cassell having another year left with the Clippers and with him getting older he may not want to play by the time he has a chance to come to the Warriors as a free agent.

I actually really wouldn't mind if the Warriors even drafted another pg, though I am now getting away from the topic of the thread.

8. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

What the Warriors need is a Marion type of player, he wouldn't slow the team down and he'd be huge on the rebounding side.

9. Gohn

Gohn JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">What the Warriors need is a Marion type of player, he wouldn't slow the team down and he'd be huge on the rebounding side.</div>
    Harrington for Josh Howard!

10. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, Cassell still has one more year left, so unless we can arrange a trade with Clippers, we will not get him. Foyle for Cassell??? We can only dream...

11. egyptianlaker32

egyptianlaker32 JBB JustBBall Member

I thought that Sam Cassel was joining the Clipps as an assistant coach

12. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Oh no! If this happens, we would have to continue to look at his ugly ET face for a long, long time.

Save us.

13. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Kwan1031 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well, Cassell still has one more year left, so unless we can arrange a trade with Clippers, we will not get him. Foyle for Cassell??? We can only dream...</div>

I heard the Clips have need of an undersized center who can't shoot, dribble, catch the ball, or pass. That might actually work, Kwan.

[​IMG]

Is it me or is Foyle actually increasing his trade value by getting into senseless half-court shot contests with Sarunas during the pre-game warmups? At least he doesn't pretend to try to work on legit post moves, which would only expose his game and make him look silly. At least this way, he can dismiss his 18 consecutive bricks by saying he was just "fooling around." [​IMG]

edit: actually, with the chemistry the Warriors are playing with right now, and the fan support at the Oracle, even Foyle could have a good game in the playoffs!

<font size=""6"">WARRIORS!!!</font>

14. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What the Warriors need is a Marion type of player, he wouldn't slow the team down and he'd be huge on the rebounding side.</div>

Not many like Marion around---but a guy with some of that would be the asset of most use to us.

I've looked a lot at rebounding as what we need to get out of the draft--but then there's the whole deal of who Nellie would USE as a F

15. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I think we need a better version of Stephen Jackson (tall swingman who can play small forward legitimately or an athletic power forward/center). It'd be sweet if we could land the North Carolina guy or the Chinese project for something not Jrich, Monta, Biedrins, or Baron. I love Sjax, but it's only a matter time before he does something stupid to ruin his trade value.

I wish we also had a guy like Pietrus or Barnes type intangibles, but way smarter, more consistent, and that are actually basketball players. Maybe Gerald Wallace? But that guy has to be expensive... We don't have much of a budget to land a free agent possible defensive star. I don't want Barnes or Pietrus here long term. Gerald Wallace would be our version of Shawn Marion, except his free throws would continue to be around the 60's to 70's... [​IMG]

16. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">AnimeFANatic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What the Warriors need is a Marion type of player, he wouldn't slow the team down and he'd be huge on the rebounding side.</div>

Agree, right now we have a couple of homeless man's Marions (at best) in Barnes and Pietrus. Luckily good tweeners tend to fall in the draft and they're exactly what we're looking for. A guy I might look for is Al Thornton from FSU. The guy is an absolute FREAK athlete, is 6'7, 220 lbs, has great length and leaping ability, averaged 19.7 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.1 bpg. Can score inside and has a good jump shot out to around 18 feet. Draft express even mentions him being compared to MArion in his profile:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Shawn Marion comparisons are inevitable, with remarkably similar athleticism, first steps, and quick leaping ability to go along with lack of a true position on the floor. He would be best fitted in an up and down style of play, where he would be able to utilize his athletic abilities and length to the fullest capabilities.</div>

I've seen him play a few times and hes a better one on one scorer than Marion but not as good of a defender.

17. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

If Sam Cassell was willing to play limited minutes and spot Baron Davis when he's in foul trouble or needs a rest, it would work. Those few seconds after Baron fouled out last night shows this team needs another player capable of creating off the dribble. The Warriors offense was frantic and the players settled for awful jumpshots. Baron's ability to penetrate and dish is something Cassell could do for this team.

18. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

They need to play Azubuike damnit, he'd penetrate and go for close shots.

19. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I've said it a 1000 times, we need a guy like Camby (Although now he's going to be too expensive). I wonder what it would cost to get Sheed. He'd be a pretty good fit too.

20. Clif25

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If Sam Cassell was willing to play limited minutes and spot Baron Davis when he's in foul trouble or needs a rest, it would work. Those few seconds after Baron fouled out last night shows this team needs another player capable of creating off the dribble. The Warriors offense was frantic and the players settled for awful jumpshots. Baron's ability to penetrate and dish is something Cassell could do for this team.</div>

Yeah, I agree. That is why I said this team has a lot of 2's and 3's but only one PG. Monta Ellis is either hit or miss as PG. He can make awesome plays or he makes turnovers.

Also I think our Marcus Camby is Andris Biedrins. Sure having another player like Marcus Camby would be nice, but I am not sure how realistic that would be. I suppose trying to land Kevin Garnett could fill that wish - though what the Warriors may be losing may not allow such a deal to happen...

But also the Warriors are one of the top shot blocking teams in the NBA. I suppose Camby's rebounding would still be important, but not a very high need in my opinion.