OT Sam Presti's revenge?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    It just occurred to me that Presti kind of got revenge against the Blazers with the Melo trade. I remember that one of the few times I thought Presti made a misstep was when he matched the ridiculous offer sheet for Kanter that the Blazers signed him to. "Phew," I thought, "dodged a bullet there!" But then Presti turned around and turned Kanter into the player most of the Portland fanbase was convinced we could land in Melo. I guess what I'm saying is I really envy OKC their GM. (He may not be the best, though: San Antonio is always good and Utah and in particular Golden State are probably better.)

2. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

So you are saying it is a good idea to overpay for free agents in the hope we can later trade them for disgruntled star players. I think N.O would agree with that.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    dviss1, Darkwebs, Sinobas and 3 others like this.
  3. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

A. If true most of the fanbase is deluded.
    B. Paul George and Russell Westbrook landed Melo.
    C. Didn't really want him here anyway, but that's just me.

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Oh burn!

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Good for Presti on these deals but it doesn't make him an amazing GM, he just happened to be in the right place at the right time. The PG trade was because Pritchard said FU to us and every east team and the Melo one only happened because Melo didn't want to waive his trade clause except to a few places and after holding the knicks hostage for 2+ months he finally agreed to go play with 2 other stars. Its not like Presti grabbed some great draft picks or great FA signings or stole some bench player and turned him into a star, Presti landed in a spot where

dviss1 likes this.
  6. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

He fucking pushed the receiver down then intercepted it!

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

wrong thread... but you were right.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Presti didn't do shit.

Kevin Pritchard fucked us. By taking a shittier offer for Paul George, he opened the door for Melo expanding his list to OKC. We could seriously have a lineup right now of Dame/CJ/George/Melo/Nurk. I don't even like to think about it.

dviss1 and BonesJones like this.
  9. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yes, all hail the great GM who gave away James Harden for tables scraps and got absolutely nothing for
    Kevin Durant. He's clearly a god among GMs. We should all Neil down before him.

Fuck, really???? Remember all the shit Neil got when Aldridge, that whiney pussy who is doing his best to FINALLY bring down the SAS dynasty from within, walked and Neil got nothing? Can you imagine this place if he gave away a star of Harden's magnitude for a steaming load of crap and let a former MVP and 4-time scoring champ walk for nothing? Especially after that former MVP and 4-time scoring champ won a title and was the finals MVP the very next season after leaving? I guess we're just ignoring those parts of Presti's resume...

BNM

dviss1 and Natebishop3 like this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's super annoying that he's getting so much credit when it's clear that Pritchard tanked the trade and Melo very well might just leave after the season. They might be the 3rd best team in the west right now, which is fine, good for them, but they're not good enough to contend with GS. Not even close.

I'm just bitter... I think we could have actually contended with GS if we had gotten George.

dviss1 and Boob-No-More like this.
  11. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Presti is probably one of the worst GMs in the league when you look at the big picture.

-He got rid of Harden in order to save some money while he could have amnestied fucking Kendrick Perkins. That trade was so awful...i still remember how shocked i was when i saw it. FUCKING KEVIN MARTIN LOL.

-Durant basically admitted that he wouldn't have left if Harden was not traded.

-He traded young Kanter for Anthony who have the same stats or worse per36 minutes even though he was the number one option on his team.

-Paul George was a good get, but he's only there for one year and the only reason they got him was because of KP's incompetence.

dviss1 and BonesJones like this.
  12. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    This is what I don't get in the press.... Sam Presti is a GENIUS for finagling George and Anthony away from their former respective teams. Olshey merely got LUCKY for taking Nurkic off of Denver's hands.

You know it's not merely the former music group The Spindoctors who suck ass.

13. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Presti is lucky pritchard is an idiot. People are praising him a lot but really it was luck he got PG. Pritchard had way better offers on the table, he just accepted a terrible offer. Then Westbrook and PG recruited Melo

BonesJones likes this.
  14. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I had no idea how young he is. He got the job when he was 30?!

Presti has definitely drafted well. He drafted Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Bledsoe, Harden, Adams....

And trading away disgruntled stars doesn't seem to net you very much these days. Just look at what was gotten in return for Cousins, Butler, George, Melo...

I don't blame Olshey for not landing Melo or PG. Melo didn't WANT to come here. The Knicks liked our offer better but Melo wouldn't approve it. And I don't know if we need 4 offensive stars in the starting lineup? Hark is a good role player at SF that'll cost 1/3rd of Anthony.

And Paul George....no one will be sorry about not getting him if he bolts next year.

15. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Is Presti's Revenge the Oklahoma equivalent of Montezuma's Revenge?

16. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Or, he traded for a guy he thinks could help them.

No, revenge is the obvious reason.

dviss1 likes this.