Politics "Sanctuary State" law

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PtldPlatypus, Jun 12, 2018.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Just got a robo-call with a recording from Lars Larson urging me to help with the petition to get a measure on the ballot to repeal a law that makes Oregon a sanctuary state. And I have to admit, despite being a conservative myself, I'm gonna need some help from the conservatives in this forum on understanding this one.

Now, I'm not in favor of illegal immigration, and I am in favor of enforcing laws that are on the books. But why should state and local law enforcement be required--or even authorized--to help enforce federal law? The state police don't engage the FBI to police the freeways. The county sheriffs don't tap the DEA to bust up local meth houses. Why should local resources be devoted at all to enforcing federal immigration laws? What is wrong with a state law that ensures that state and local resources are devoted to addressing state and local crime?

Can someone clear up what I'm missing here?

riverman likes this.
  2. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

For those wanting more information about the topic.

And on BallotPedia.

3. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

I get you. What you have is the ability to reason. The problem is that this state operates on the "feel good" premise. Local law enforcement are not allowed to even inquire about someones legal status. If someone who is known to be here illegally is incarcerated and is to be released, the state directs that the courts and law enforcement do not co operate with ICE to the point of ignoring ICE holds, so pick up can occur.

Clearly not a matter of "doing the other entity's job", rather a professional, hand in hand attitude, that no longer is allowed to exist.

If the issue was truly a concern of monies poorly spent supporting outside entities, consider this. BOLI, DMV, all the social services including state food stamp program, as well as child services and public education system are not allowed to inquire as to someones legal status and do in fact encourage those without legal status to take advantage of services. Sir, to me, that is monies poorly spent that should be accounted for.

MARIS61 likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

That's BS. You can not get a Drivers License or any welfare in this state if you are an illegal. They do ask and require proof.

dviss1 and riverman like this.
  5. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I'm not an Oregon resident, therefore not qualified to answer your question.
    However I would like to expand on some of your comments.

There are times when the feds do get very involved with local crimes, such as bank robberies and kidnappings. And there are times the local sherrifs/police use federal resouces, such as fingerprint id, dna, and gun registration.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm sure glad in my travels throughout other countries that my legal status wasn't constantly checked because of my appearance....if I do something wrong, sure...

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I believe the DEA operates on any interstate or international drug traffic cases...if an Oregon meth cooker was shipping meth to Las Vegas...hello DEA

PtldPlatypus and oldfisherman like this.
  8. oldfisherman

Agree, the ATF is also more involed locally then most people realize.

I'm of the general opinion that the more cooperation there is between the varies agencys at all levels, the greater the odds of correcting problems and violations. The system is not perfect, but works better than zero cooperation.

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Stop spreading ignorance. This isn't true at all. What it is, is a right wing LIE. Stop parroting it. It makes you at best misinformed...

10. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

I'm missing a ton of info. Why they passed the law they are trying to repeal in the first place is the most obvious question.

At first glance the law they want to repeal seems unnecessary. Who was forcing anyone to arrest illegals prior? Was it to stop someone like Joe Arpaio?

If some Oregon small town Sheriff wanted to let his deputies arrest illegals when they came across them it would be illegal in Oregon wouldn't it? Even if ICE promised to pay?

The term Sanctuary City could mean many things I suppose. The general idea of it makes me angry but we need to know more. I sure don't want cops ignoring rapists and killers and speeders and doing ICE's job instead but I don't think that ever happened before the law.

MarAzul likes this.
  11. DaLincolnJones

Not going to get in the weeds with you on this Dog.

They are given a provisional license, something that you and I are not allowed.

As to the food stamps and other social services, I have seen this occur with my own eyes. I does in fact happen in defiance of the law that states otherwise.

12. bodyman5000 and 1

Did those countries have 12 million illegal immigrants from America living there?

MarAzul and DaLincolnJones like this.
  13. DaLincolnJones

Here is the law https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/181A.820

(1) No law enforcement agency of the State of Oregon or of any political subdivision of the state shall use agency moneys, equipment or personnel for the purpose of detecting or apprehending persons whose only violation of law is that they are persons of foreign citizenship present in the United States in violation of federal immigration laws.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, a law enforcement agency may exchange information with the United States Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and the United States Bureau of Customs and Border Protection in order to:

(a) Verify the immigration status of a person if the person is arrested for any criminal offense; or

(b) Request criminal investigation information with reference to persons named in records of the United States Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services or the United States Bureau of Customs and Border Protection.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, a law enforcement agency may arrest any person who:

(a) Is charged by the United States with a criminal violation of federal immigration laws under Title II of the Immigration and Nationality Act or 18 U.S.C. 1015, 1422 to 1429 or 1505; and

(b) Is subject to arrest for the crime pursuant to a warrant of arrest issued by a federal magistrate.

(4) For purposes of subsection (1) of this section, the Bureau of Labor and Industries is not a law enforcement agency.

(5) As used in this section, “warrant of arrest” has the meaning given that term in ORS 131.005 (General definitions). [Formerly 181.850]

This is where is started 30 years ago. Obviously it has been expanded in practice as well as state executive order.

14. oldfisherman

Illegal immigrents abuse our system many ways. They can go to most hospital emergency rooms for treatment, then walk out and never pay their bill. They are driving up the cost of health care.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. DaLincolnJones

Though Oregon law already forbids state and local law enforcement agencies from using public resources to find or arrest those whose only crime is being in the country without proper documentation, Brown's order goes a step further in solidifying the state's sanctuary status by expanding the law to all agencies.

The governor's order also makes it illegal for state agencies to discriminate based on immigration status, and forbids state agencies from using public resources to help create a religious registry.

bodyman5000 and 1 likes this.
  16. DaLincolnJones

Big D, I love you man, but I do have more than a little knowledge on the subject.

17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Were you trying to live in any of those countries illegally?

I do have a friend that was tossed out of Germany because he was living there illegally. I'm not sure why illegal immigration in America needs to be a racial issue. The fact is that I cannot move to Norway or Germany unless I have a valid reason. I can't just up and move to one of those countries, despite the fact that my grandpa is 100% Norwegian. I would still have to apply and show that I have a job waiting for me.

If I just flew there and didn't leave, how long do you think I would last before they kicked me out?

18. oldfisherman

About 10 years ago I was invited to a banquet in Salem. Somehow I was seated at a table of state employees.

Their entire conversation the entire evening centered around how much of their budgets the illegals were using. They were all mad at the illegals abusing their funds.

I do not remember the specifics or which agencies they worked in. Just that they were very upset about the abuse.

19. bodyman5000 and 1

Your friend needed to steal someone's identity like illegals do here.

I used to talk to the illegal immigrant I lived next to in 2006 or so all the time.

He told he how his wife got papers to get benefits. He said you could literally buy them at the indoor swap meets in town.

He worked full time in construction and she got welfare. AWESOME SYSTEM!!!

20. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I'm talking about undocumented people getting welfare. That's just bull.