Santonio's Salute to BBall

Discussion in 'NBA General' started by NattaNerNuttaMan, Feb 5, 2009.

1. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    Santonio's tribute

James knows how to take a compliment, even when it happens on the NFL's biggest stage.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes, the former Ohio State star, showed he hasn't forgotten his Buckeye roots after scoring the game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds remaining in Sunday's Super Bowl against the Arizona Cardinals.

Holmes was mobbed by teammates after his tip-toe catch. But when he got up, Holmes took the football and used it like a powder can, mimicking James' pregame ritual of powdering his hands, then clapping them together to raise a cloud above him. That image of James in an advertisement for Nike takes up the side of a building in downtown Cleveland.

James was well aware of what Holmes had done.

''It had to be a compliment,'' James said. ''To think after one of the best plays in Super Bowl history, a compliment to myself, I said, 'Wow.' That play will be shown in football highlights forever. For him to salute me in that way was unbelievable.''

Holmes broke the NFL's celebration rule that prohibits using the football as a prop. An NFL spokesman deferred questions on whether Holmes will be fined until later this week. Holmes was not flagged, which would have been a 15-yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff.

link: http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/39122917.html
    ---------------------------------------------------

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why all of the sudden the "powder cloud" is LeBron's thing? If I'm not mistaken...ummm...KG was doing this long before LeBron and Jordan before that. But now it's like thier pushing it like James started it all....weird

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Just the media doing what they do best. Forcing the NBA Fan to deep throat LeBrick.

3. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    Lol....LeBron is alright by me....I just think credit needs to go where it's due. I understand if LeBron was the first SuperStar/All-Star player to do it and make it mainstream....but the fact that both KG and MJ did it well before him....the media shouldn't make it out to be "LeBron's original ritual"....like it was never seen before he did it!

4. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

I don't think they're trying to make it seem like LeBron started it. They're just looking for a gimmick for their ads, and they found one in Lebron's powder "ritual". He didn't necessarily start it, but he does do it before every game so they capitalized. That's what advertisers do: they look for something that the crowd will recognize and use it to their advantage.