Sarver: "Suns won't trade core"

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Dissonance19, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Dissonance19

Dissonance19 Member

As I have been saying<a href="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0119suns.html" target="_blank">
    </a>
    <a href="http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0119suns.html" target="_blank">link
    </a><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>As far as doing anything with our core players, that's just not going to happen," Sarver said. "I feel very strongly that we are capable of winning a championship with who we have, and I'm going to let these guys go for another shot at a championship."

National reports have run rampant with rumors that the Suns have discussed significant deals that included All-NBA center Amaré Stoudemire and All-Star forward Shawn Marion.

"They are just flat-out not getting traded," Sarver said. "We are going to play the season with our core. They deserve another chance to win a championship.

"Our best chance to win a championship is with the core we have. Whether we are going to trade Shawn or Amaré and whether we have the right coach and whether our GM is making the right decisions is just a bunch of nonsense."

Marion requested a trade during the summer but has put that aside.

"I don't even worry about all that (trade talk)," Marion said Saturday. "I'm just trying to play ball. He (Sarver) didn't have to say that, but it's good that he did."

Sarver said he looks at the first half of this season, which concludes at home tonight against New Jersey, with a "glass half-full" perspective, because the Suns have the best record in a loaded Western Conference.

With a $71.3 million payroll, the Suns face a luxury-tax penalty of about $3.5 million. They could make a "minor addition" if General Manager Steve Kerr and coach Mike D'Antoni wish, Sarver said.

"We are going to operate at a (financial) loss this year whether we win a championship or not," Sarver said. "There are times to go for a championship. This is a time we can. If we need to do a little more, we will."</div>

2. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Probably a good idea, although I'd consider trading Marion depending on the offers, and Diaw just because with Hill they don't need Diaw as much.

3. kobe23

kobe23 JBB JustBBall Member

College Undergrad
    LOL... Marion for Shaq [​IMG]

4. Emilio_M

Emilio_M BBW Member

So much for not trading the core.

5. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    Makes zero sense right now but with Shaq you never know.

It does add a whole new fun dimension to the Lakers/Suns rivalry.