Scouting Prospects for Warriors

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">THE THREE THAT I HAVE CIRCLED: The Warriors need a shot-blocker, low-post scorer and agile defender, preferably wrapped up in a single draftee. But Tim Duncan isn't available.

So, unless there's an international monster on their radar, I'm suggesting that Mullin and Rod Higgins will be realistically and wisely choosing from this trio . . .

? Syracuse forward Hakim Warrick: Not a perfect fit, because he's no low-post presence, but he's the kind of 6-8, defensive-menace athlete the Warriors haven't had in decades. Or ever?

NBA equivalent: Shawn Marion, without the all-around game.

Warriors' prospect: Warrick can guard Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant or maybe even Kevin Garnett. Which might be nice. He also committed 10 turnovers in Syracuse's first-round loss to Vermont. Which isn't nice.

? Arizona center Channing Frye: A smart 6-10 post player who probably doesn't project as an NBA center but can do many more things than Adonal Foyle, such as catch a pass.

NBA equivalent: Tim Duncan, without the greatness.

Warriors' prospect: Pair Frye with Andris Biedrins and opponents might hardly ever dunk on the Warriors.

? UConn forward Charlie Villanueva: He sure sounds like a future Warrior -- head-case sophomore known to forget or ignore defensive assignments. But he's a shot-blocking 6-10, scores in bunches and might be special.

NBA equivalents: Rasheed Wallace or Joe Smith.

Warriors' prospect: Mullin loves risks, and this would be a big one. Lord help Mike Montgomery if this is the selection.</div> Source

I found this statement hilarious...

Gonzaga swingman Adam Morrison: Supreme scorer who has provoked more ``wows'' from scouts than any other college player. If only he played defense.

NBA equivalent: A taller, hairier Chris Mullin.
    [​IMG]

2. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Considering how on Warrior threads the W's front of Dunleavy,Murphy,and Foyle get criticized for D,Charlie V would drive some up the wall. Villanueva and Frye appear to be physically similar,though Frye does weigh more,but CV is quicker. Frye,however,has good fundamentals,work habits,smarts-and will be a solid pick,while CV could be good-or lousy. Warrick lacks bulk but like J Rich,what he has is all rock hard. Despite his lack of bulk he is rough,tough and aggressive. Not real big or a deep range guy he may not be a superstar but his drive is such he will find ways to upgrade himself. As to guarding 7 ft power F's,he's giving up quite a bit of size. Warrick is a legit top 10.Frye,top 15. I see Villanueva as 20 or lower.

3. REREM

By the way-want D? Sheldon Williams,if he declared is serious D. Diogu plays good D,has more offensive variety. Danny Granger is crafty and amazing for his versatility. Gerald Green,a HS phenom, can soar,can hit 3's,at 6-7 has point G stuff. Didn't see him enough to say he does or will work at his whole game,but if it's potential-he has it.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Considering how on Warrior threads the W's front of Dunleavy,Murphy,and Foyle get criticized for D,Charlie V would drive some up the wall. Villanueva and Frye appear to be physically similar,though Frye does weigh more,but CV is quicker. Frye,however,has good fundamentals,work habits,smarts-and will be a solid pick,while CV could be good-or lousy. Warrick lacks bulk but like J Rich,what he has is all rock hard. Despite his lack of bulk he is rough,tough and aggressive. Not real big or a deep range guy he may not be a superstar but his drive is such he will find ways to upgrade himself. As to guarding 7 ft power F's,he's giving up quite a bit of size. Warrick is a legit top 10.Frye,top 15. I see Villanueva as 20 or lower.</div>
    Charlie V seems really passive when he plays. Plus that "eyebrow thing" or lack thereof is something that makes you wonder if this guy is a basketball player or some kind of mutant.

Channing Frye is pretty well rounded, but he doesn't seem physically great. And usually picks like those don't really stand out in the NBA. Same could go with athletes with no bball skills.

Unless we get a future pick or a good player in return for trading down I say we keep our pick online with somebody that is hard to match up with like a Pau Gasol or Illgauskus type player. If we go safe, I'd rather have Chris Taft than Charlie V.

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">By the way-want D? Sheldon Williams,if he declared is serious D. Diogu plays good D,has more offensive variety. Danny Granger is crafty and amazing for his versatility. Gerald Green,a HS phenom, can soar,can hit 3's,at 6-7 has point G stuff. Didn't see him enough to say he does or will work at his whole game,but if it's potential-he has it.</div>
    Sheldon Williams could be like a Carlos Boozer type player with better D and less range. He might be helpful, but we won't have a "Kobe incident" with him, will we?

Gerald Green definitely seems intriguing. We could probably get some really nice players in return for never playing him and just selling him to other teams based on his upside... or we could just keep him. I think the Jrich/Pietrus combo is already sweet and there's just hardly any vacancies unless Green is the future small forward/backup with Zarko as either starting or backup small forward.

6. REREM

Bogut is the only guy in this draft certain to be able to start instantly for the W's and it's a long shot we have that option. Whatever their position, Sheldon W,Diogu,or Frye would be able to give good minutes,help the D,rebound,and score some too. Green has remarkable skills and in areas shows the polish of a guy who has played the game since he was a little kid. Stuff comes very natural to him. I can't speculate,however on how tough he plays inside or how commited he is to defense. Whether a 2 or a 3,his offense can become All Star level. I saw some impressive hands,passing skills,quickness,and can't help wonder if point g is also a possibility. As to Green,Pietrus,J Rich all sharing 2 jobs,that is a luxury,but it also means all can play full tilt,use that speed and let the depth keep them fresh. I still like Diogu a bunch,as he is such a plus on both offense and defense and with little chance to add a producive tall guy-an alternative is to add muscle. Some mocks really undervalue both Green and Diogu,I don't expect that on draft day they will last that long BUT if the W's do find they actually would both be undervalued a scenario where we get both could happen. That would likely involve us dealing Dunleavy. A plus to that is we then don't worry about budgeting his next contract,he's replaced by a rookie we have for several years.

7. jzblaze

jzblaze JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Bogut is the only guy in this draft certain to be able to start instantly for the W's and it's a long shot we have that option. Whatever their position, Sheldon W,Diogu,or Frye would be able to give good minutes,help the D,rebound,and score some too. Green has remarkable skills and in areas shows the polish of a guy who has played the game since he was a little kid. Stuff comes very natural to him. I can't speculate,however on how tough he plays inside or how commited he is to defense. Whether a 2 or a 3,his offense can become All Star level. I saw some impressive hands,passing skills,quickness,and can't help wonder if point g is also a possibility. As to Green,Pietrus,J Rich all sharing 2 jobs,that is a luxury,but it also means all can play full tilt,use that speed and let the depth keep them fresh. I still like Diogu a bunch,as he is such a plus on both offense and defense and with little chance to add a producive tall guy-an alternative is to add muscle. Some mocks really undervalue both Green and Diogu,I don't expect that on draft day they will last that long BUT if the W's do find they actually would both be undervalued a scenario where we get both could happen. That would likely involve us dealing Dunleavy. A plus to that is we then don't worry about budgeting his next contract,he's replaced by a rookie we have for several years.</div>

Damn I think you sold me. Green has more star potential than most if not everyone. And that's the guy you always consider regardless of need, especially if you're trying to build a team. But this is most def a guy we need to take a very long look at. As for then turning Dunleavy into a pick for Diogu(or any of the other inside players for that matter), that has the possibility of being a stroke of genius. At worst it's a gamble gone wrong but we'd be covered with Green anyway. And it gives us more financial flexibility. You should email this to Mully!!!

8. REREM

in my optimistic scenario,we also package Fish and white,and maybe a future #2 for a late 1 and get Salim Stoudamire-and while I'm playing optimist-he,like G Arenas and J Terry makes the shift to point and finds the NBA arc easy money. With the W's on such a roll,Tyson Chandler then calls Mully and wants to get onboard,and with Fish's exit and the trade exemption,we are able to do that. Even without the Chandler part,this ought to work well right away as Diogu and Stoudamire have skill and experiance. Green would play,though it would seem likely his role grows over time. Again,the key will be how hard he works to be a team guy,play D,etc. The results should be more depth,a bit of help on D,rebounds,extra variety on offense... and meanwhile all the young guys keep getting better

9. d money

d money JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">in my optimistic scenario,we also package Fish and white,and maybe a future #2 for a late 1 and get Salim Stoudamire-and while I'm playing optimist-he,like G Arenas and J Terry makes the shift to point and finds the NBA arc easy money. With the W's on such a roll,Tyson Chandler then calls Mully and wants to get onboard,and with Fish's exit and the trade exemption,we are able to do that. Even without the Chandler part,this ought to work well right away as Diogu and Stoudamire have skill and experiance. Green would play,though it would seem likely his role grows over time. Again,the key will be how hard he works to be a team guy,play D,etc. The results should be more depth,a bit of help on D,rebounds,extra variety on offense... and meanwhile all the young guys keep getting better</div>

The only way I'd trade Fishy in that scenario is if I was assured of getting Tyson Chandler because, personally, I'm not that sold on Salim Stoudamire making it in the NBA. Stoudamire has a crazy good shot with range, but after watching him choke big time in the Illinois game, I'd be less inclined to draft him and trade away Fisher.. unless I get that big man stopper (Chandler).

10. REREM

Salim nailed a lot of clutch shots,and you may be thinking of Shakur who missed v Illinois. Salim shot a lot of 3's...made 53% of them which is remarkable. In recent years I can't recall any volume shooter over 50% from the arc. Salim is also very quick. As a late # 1 he comes cheap. He understands the game,dribbles well,can pass. He'd have to be stupid to think he can mainly play shooting G,and knows a point is expected to get assists-but the reality is a great-pass,can't-shoot point G won't get much love in the NBA-ask Jaque Vaughn about that. If Salim does adjust to point he may well be better than Felton eventually because of his shooting touch,which would make him a steal. No rush,of course,we only need depth now. Chandler surprised me,turned out to be almost opposite of what he seemed like out of hs. He is one of a few veterans I'd really focus on. He has found a work ethic,is tall,runs, and the Bulls don't have him locked up. If we could add Green,Diogu (or Sheldon W) and Salim,plus,maybe find a keeper on round 2,and most of what we have returns to,we rock. Mix in Chandler and the W's are not just a playoff team,but a scary playoff team young enough to keep rising.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post"> Source

I found this statement hilarious...

Gonzaga swingman Adam Morrison: Supreme scorer who has provoked more ``wows'' from scouts than any other college player. If only he played defense.

NBA equivalent: A taller, hairier Chris Mullin.
    [​IMG]</div>
    That is pretty funny. Maybe the 'wows' were actually because of the amount of his loose back hair those kids with the big sweat mops pick up after a game.

Charlie V. I dunno about his defense and attitude and his eyebrows... Frye doesn't really wow me, but if he's effective that all that matters... Warrick looks pretty cool because he's a player we don't have yet, but he's kind of raw and injury prone isn't he?

12. REREM

I have never heard why Charlie is missing eyebrows. Playing with matches maybe? With all the spin on the imports nobody has seen do anything,it is interesting that Frye,who is AT MINIMUM a pretty good 6-11 player who has improved on a slow but steady path-is not ranked a bit higher. Warrick isn't especially raw,but he's a pedal-to-the-metal type,not unlike Pietrus,he plays high energy,attack mode. I don't recall any major injury,though he is a wiry guy who mixes it up inside with the wide bodies.

13. Custodianrules2

We probably wouldn't go for Frye even as a mid first rounder. Why? His upside is way too limited. Once they hit the peak, there goes the value and any hope they'll get better. Warrick I'm just not sold he'll be anything special in the league. He's too much of a bad tweener unless you play him at power forward where he'll have to work on those rebounds like Shawn Marion does in order to be effective.. Charlie V. probably gives you the most skills for a 6'10 guy at power forward but he's probably not going to give you anything defensively and could very well make Mike Dunleavy seem aggressive in comparrison.

I'd rather draft Chris Taft than all these guys. If there's two guys that can potentially unlock his full potential it would probably be Mullin and Montgomery. I'm just not sold on drafting future role players unless we know we're going for 15 or below. We're probably going top 10 at least and we could very well end up with a good player by the time we're up. If only Portland weren't tanking we'd probably be having the odds go towards us for the 5 or 6th spot (but they probably won't be drafting big since they've got tons). If there's no big man of interest and no good trades with us for trading down, I'd like us to draft Raymond Felton if he comes out, Rudy Gay if he comes out or Gerald Green if he's still left. Gerald Green could be the next Qyntel Woods, but that's the risk you take when taking these kids who could be absolutely amazing and become guys like Tracy McGrady or Kobe Bryant. Hell, I'll even take a Josh Smith project because at least those players stir up some interest, especially if they're good defenders/shooters/ballhandlers coming out of high school. Johan Petro seems like a good prospect if we happen to get him. He'd be like our own version of Tyson Chandler or Samuel Dalembert.

PS: Charlie V is prolly missing eyebrows because his defender took them off his face when he blew right passed him. [​IMG]

14. REREM

I see Frye as a bright guy with a strong work ethic. Taft has the bulk,but when I have seen him,his move had a sort of slo-mo look. Damp also favored that slow,back it in move,but Damp was bigger,and Damp was a fighter on rebounds. In the chaos of a game it's a plus to be mentally quick to instantly process the situation and act effectively. Some guys are physically quick, not mentally quick,and its not about intelligence. Foyle is intelligent,physically quick-not mentally quick. A sudden situation,like pass him the ball,and it doesn't process fast enough-so he just reacts and we get on him in these threads the next few days. On D,he knows what's what,usually and on D commitment to playing D is key. I watch Marvin Williams and I see super physical quickness,borderline commitment to D,rebounding,and not a lot of mental quickness. Watch all the battling Sean May does for rebound position. You REALLY need to be fanatical to box him out. Same play,a guard boxes Marvin out and he won't contest it,if the caroom comes to him,fine. May shines in the wild,busy,traffic inside,as does S Williams,while Marvin is a guy best in open space. G Green has mental quickness,court awareness. As an annointed future star,he may think D and rebounds are not his meal ticket-but all I saw was the McD game. Warrick has both physical and mental quickness,plus a lot of competitive desire. He does not have a lot of bulk,or a shooters touch beyond midrange. Warrick,I figure,only fits a SF role well,think a stretched Pitrus without the 3pt range. Warrick will suceed because he's to gung-ho to not suceed and he knows his strengths. Frye is fundamentally sound and has steadily added strength and skill. He lacks the real killer side,is somewhat,but not exceptionally quick,physically and mentally. Frye will be a competant player as a rookie,will slow but steadily get better,have a long career,but won't ever be a real star. Petro is like on game shows when they say-and you can trade all this for what's behind door number 3. What IS behind door # 3? A cadillac convertible? a bag of rocks? a bag of rocks that in 5 years will become a Cadillac? Not even Petro knows. The acid test is-how committed is he to molding himself into the best possible player. With the mid-size and small players,some real desire and work ethic had to be there or they don't even start in college. With guys 6-10 and up,any trace of skill and agility can attract attention. The taller they are the more willing we get to substitute imagination for observation. There are cases where I would roll the dice,say this guy has good chances,and others where I'd rather let someone else take whatever is behind door # 3.

15. Custodianrules2

On second thought, Channing Frye would probably a lock for being a Monty type of guy. Probably rather have him than Petro.

16. REREM

Monty would probably like a guy who has some consistancy and is self motivated,and in that respect,Frye would probably fit. Next season,Monty,as a second year coach has a main mission of getting the W's above .500 and in the playoffs. Teaching a very raw teen Hoops 1-A would add to his load. Frye may not be top of my list,but he is on my list.

17. Custodianrules2

North Carolina won the championship. I'm sure that drove a bunch of players stock up considering UNC has like 4 or more players that will be NBA players someday if they don't enter their names into the draft this year.

Sean May especially will go high. 10 of 11 shooting/ 6 of 8 from the foul line. That was pure dominance. Of course, who was the guy guarding him? I wonder how he would do in the NBA against some solid post defenders that are much bigger and longer.

18. REREM

May has really good technique,a bit like Moses Malone who was just 6-10. May doesn't go straight up,he jumps into you,or to the side,gives a fake,a juke,shifts the ball to the side as he goes up,and he fights to get position in the first place. Marvin Williams,as a contrast,got blocked 4 times trying to stuff against Sheldon Williams because he just tried to do it plain,no tricks or jukes. May is expected back for another year and some mocks don't even rate him especially high for 06, but some get hung up on some notion of a classic prototype,or overrate vertical leap numbers. Points,boards and wins get pushed aside. Some kid is tall and can run and jump-fine,that does not make him a player-consider Larry Bird.

19. Custodianrules2

Rerem, you think May might be a bit overrated? He didn't have anybody good defending him, I didn't think.

Plus when was the last time we had a player like Larry Bird? Odds are the player you're getting will just be a slow guy, unless he's some insanely gifted shot with all around skills.

20. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

I don't know about the rest of you but Sean May remindes me a lot of a poor man's Elton Brand. They are about the same size and build and if May could ever develop an outside jumpshot then he could be as good as Brand if not better.