Sebastian Telfair

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ilive4ball, May 9, 2006.

1. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

What is everyone's thoughts on him?

He got a 21 million dollar shoe deal from adidas when Dwayne Wade got a $400,000 one from converse. Dwayne was #5 Sebastian was #13.

Looking at those numbers, and the fact that 3 1/2 years ago he was featured next to Lebron on slam as the FUTURE of the League, the NBA, and corporations obviously think he has HUGE potential...but where is it?

He's not a great shooter, his passing is sick as hell but has yet to make anyone better, he is quick as all hell but I have yet to see this take effect on a game...

trade him?

2. Beastin510

Beastin510 JBB JustBBall Member

Coming out of high school Sebastian had alot of hype surrounding him bcuz of his street ball beginnings and having Stephon marbury as a cousin. So coming out in the draft he really wasnt very polished which he couldve been with 2 years in college but he didnt. He has alot of potential but the system he's in with coach mcmillan is more of a half court set and sebastian is more of an open court player thats why he is not living up to his potential.

I like his game and he is one of my favorite players in the league but the portland system is not right for him. I think he should be traded because portland has a good set of point guards with steve blake and jarret jack.

3. Fitch4Delk00

Fitch4Delk00 JBB JustBBall Member

The players on Portland arent great shooters other than juan dixon, so even if he drives and dishes hes not gonna get many assists with them throwing up bricks. He would fit great on a team like lets say the bulls (just an Example) because they have great shooters. There are many teams that could benefit from him cleveland, the lakers, etc. Since hes still young you could probably get alot out of him so i say trade him

4. AJL2321

AJL2321 JBB JustBBall Member

I think that Telfair is a great talent and the blazers need to continue to build around him and Martell Webster who is a good shooter .

5. gomez.

gomez. JBB JustBBall Member

The only reason Telfair got that contract was because he got all this hype from his hood... Don't get my wrong, he's a very good player but, he isn't were I'd expect a player going straight to the nba from high school.... He's not doing to well with portland... Trade em...

6. dtpxcore

dtpxcore JBB The Regulator

telfair has a lot of hype hopefully he can live up to it.

7. On_The_Rim29

On_The_Rim29 JBB JustBBall Member

If he is as good as he is hyped up to be he will adjust to Portland's style of play. That's all you can hope for. I doubt they would trade him this quick anyway, it's too soon to make a move like that.

8. jbbDaCaliHustla50

jbbDaCaliHustla50 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't think they will trade him away. He hasn't reached his full potential yet, and is far from it. I think he'll be an all-star, he has a lot of talent he just has to use them for the Blazers style

9. WadeDynasty

WadeDynasty JBB JustBBall Member

Hell I'll take Telfair any day.
    I love the way he plays. But 21 mil compared to 400,000? Adidas sure has a lot of dough to burn.

10. 50

50 JBB JustBBall Member

Well to be honest guys.... Let's face it, the kid can't even start on the worst team in the league... Like someone said earlier, he was on a magazine with LeBron stating how he and LeBron were going to be the future of the NBA.

He did a tremendously stupid thing by not going to college. If he did go to college he would of been able to improve his game with basically any coach he wanted to, but he wanted the money so took the easy way out and went straight for the NBA. I say if he doesn't respond to the call next year in the backcourt with Martell then I say ship him and get what you can for him.

11. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting 50:</div><div class="quote_post">Well to be honest guys.... Let's face it, the kid can't even start on the worst team in the league... Like someone said earlier, he was on a magazine with LeBron stating how he and LeBron were going to be the future of the NBA.

He did a tremendously stupid thing by not going to college. If he did go to college he would of been able to improve his game with basically any coach he wanted to, but he wanted the money so took the easy way out and went straight for the NBA. I say if he doesn't respond to the call next year in the backcourt with Martell then I say ship him and get what you can for him.</div>
    Well, you have to know that declaring for the draft meant a way out from his neighbourhood, which is a pretty daunting situation. On one side, you could be a better player but your family's lives will be risked for a few more years; you take the money from the draft and you can get your whole family out of the hood. I'm sure Telfair doesn't regret his decision, so who are we to criticize him for doing what was best for his family?

12. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Alright, I’m not going to beat around the bush with this one I might catch some heat for this, but to be completely honest I feel Sebastian Telfair is the most over hyped hack (bum) in the NBA. Going into the draft he was not better than Jameer Nelson who should have been the Blazers pick (I’m happy he wasn't though). What has Telfair done in the league to make anyone think he can be a future all star? What has he done to deserve the contract he got from Adidas? What has he done to deserve his own movie?

Honestly, Telfair has had a lot of stuff handed to him thus far during his time in the NBA because of his “street cred” and relation to Stephon Marbury. Jameer Nelson was a better player than Telfair at a higher level, he had proven himself time after time at the college level, yet Telfair comes out. With just as much a height disadvantage as Nelson, and a spotty jumper, and gets drafted over him? Come on now.

Telfair will be a solid role player at best.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">Alright, I?m not going to beat around the bush with this one I might catch some heat for this, but to be completely honest I feel Sebastian Telfair is the most over hyped hack (bum) in the NBA. Going into the draft he was not better than Jameer Nelson who should have been the Blazers pick (I?m happy he wasn't though). What has Telfair done in the league to make anyone think he can be a future all star? What has he done to deserve the contract he got from Adidas? What has he done to deserve his own movie?

Honestly, Telfair has had a lot of stuff handed to him thus far during his time in the NBA because of his ?street cred? and relation to Stephon Marbury. Jameer Nelson was a better player than Telfair at a higher level, he had proven himself time after time at the college level, yet Telfair comes out. With just as much a height disadvantage as Nelson, and a spotty jumper, and gets drafted over him? Come on now.

Telfair will be a solid role player at best.</div>
    Jameer Nelson at the time was the better prospect than Telfair. I'm not disputing that, but calling Telfair a bum and nothing more then a role player is a bit premature. He's a 6-foot point guard who has been in the league for two years on probably one of the worst teams in terms of development. He?s already had two coaches in his two years in the league, is surrounded by tons of headcases his age, and other then Theo Ratliff, there isn?t really a veteran leadership presence on the team. We can?t really blame him.

Yes, if Telfair went to college he would have probably been a better player; however, Telfair had to make a choice based on his family's situation. I'm sure you've seen Through the Fire, a movie which shows some of the daily occurrences in Coney Island. That?s not the type of environment he wanted his family wanted to be in and who can blame him?

As for the things being ?handed? to him, I?ll have to disagree. Telfair had to work just as hard as Marbury to get where he is. He?s a hard worker and a good kid. And don?t know where you?ve developed this disliking for Telfair, but he?s definitely not as bad as you?re describing, neither is his future as bleak.

14. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

Still a project, give him 1-2 years.

15. On_The_Rim29

On_The_Rim29 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Soft Parade:</div><div class="quote_post">Still a project, give him 1-2 years.</div>

I think in the end that's what it comes down to.

Like I said it's too soon to make a move. The HS players need time. Yeah he should have went to college but he doesn't live in a house like you and me where he doesn't have to worry about anything happening. He did what was best for him and his family. You can't blame him. He has to figure out basketball for himself now.

16. AJL2321

AJL2321 JBB JustBBall Member

They need to keep Telfair , Once he gets some players around him, he will be a solid nba PG.

17. MrBigShot_23

MrBigShot_23 BBW Member

I say, give him another year or two

18. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Has everyone heard the theory that Portland drafted him because ADIDAS pressured them to? ADIDAS is in Portland, personally I don't believe the theory.

For those who purchase SLAM, go back and read the interview from the month when he was on the cover. It discusses this issue.

19. Flava23

Flava23 JBB JustBBall Member

They need to keep Telfair. I believe in a year or two, he'll soon blossom into one of the top point guards in the league.

20. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    Broken Hoop Dreams: Where Did It Go Wrong for Former Phenom Sebastian Telfair?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-go-wrong-for-former-phenom-sebastian-telfair