Second Round

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shard, May 23, 2007.

1. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Since we now "know" that we will be adding a superstar centerpiece to our team in the first round, who should we go after in the second round? We have the 1st and 5th picks in the 2nd.

I think we need to grab a PG for sure with one of the picks, like Aaron Brooks of Oregon or Gabe Pruitt of USC. I'm also a big fan of Rodney Stuckey (EWU) if he slips to the 2nd round or maybe Daequan Cook if he's there. Thoughts?

2. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Lots of options to choose from.

Ideally I would like to bring in some insurance in the backcourt such as an Aaron Affalo, a Rodney Stucky, a Marco Bellinelli, a Marcus Williams, a Morris Almond, or a even a combo guard like Sean Singletary that could make Gelebale expendable.

I wouldn't want to draft a point guard in the second round because I want to retain Mike Wilks for a multi year deal. I think that we could sign him for a 2 year 2 million dollar deal. It definitely would be well deserved considering that he has produced almost everytime he has gotten significant minutes - and really because he has the most respect of anyone on our team.

3. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

I would like to keep Mike Wilks as well. I've always liked his game and the fact that he is a true professional. The guy will not complain about anything. He just takes what is given to him. He also showed that he's more than capable of being a solid backup point.

I like Aflalo's game and if Rashard ends up signing elsewhere, then we should pick him up if given the chance. Do we then move either Damien Wilkins or Gelabale?

4. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I like Wilks too but i'm just a big fan of Brooks and I think he would be a worthy pick with our 2nd. If Stuckey is around at the first pick I think we have to take him. He's local, he will be the type of guy to come off the bench and knock down shots. I think we need a pure shooter coming off of the bench like we had with Vlade.

5. odde23

odde23 JBB Not A JustBBall Member

I agree that taking a point gaurd in the second round would probably not work out well, and I think a sign and trade of Lewis or moving one or two of our bigs is a better way of obtaining a point that will make a difference.

I am a big Afflalo fan and certainly do not expect to see him on the board come round 2.

One player that may even go undrafted and I feel is hugely underrated out of Iowa is Adam Haluska. I have yet to see him on a mock going anywhere (granted I don't have much time for mocks these days) which is really suprising considering what he has accomplished and how much improvment he showed in college. I believe he could continue to grow. Story is he has a really nice work ethic. I really like that in a player.

6. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

The crazy part about our team is that we are going to be absolutely loaded no matter who we pick in the second round--as long as we are able to resign Sweet Lew. Just think this could be our roster next season:

Watson/Ridnour/Wilks
    Allen/Gelebale/Stuckey
    Durant/Wilkins/Rush
    Lewis/Wilcox/Collison
    Swift/Petro/Sene

Now imagine if we are able to trade Ridnour/Watson and a pick for an upgrade at the point. This team can play small, big, uptempo, half court, you can't double team anyone b/c there are scorers all over the court -- this is a GM's dream.

We really can not afford to fuck this up. Everything rest on our ability to resign Sweet Lew. If we don't than we won't look too much different than we did the past two seasons.

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Well Brandon Rush has gone back to school, which is probably the smart decision for him, given he's on the bubble between first and second rounds and a knee injury means he won't be able to work out for a while.

What are people's thoughts on Alando Tucker? He'd obviously have to adjust his game offensively to make the grade in the pros to be more perimeter-oriented, but he's certainly got the physical tools and discipline/work ethic to be an excellent defender on the next level.

I'd love to land Stuckey as well, but doubt he'll be there by the start of the second round. Someone will fall in love with the idea of instant offense.