Sergio making the most of his opportunities

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nikolokolus, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Sergio is hitting 50% of his tres, 50% of his shots overall, has a 2.9 Assist to turnover ratio and has a PER of 15.35 that in combination with minutes that are reading 5, 9, and 14 in each game so far is there a chance that he might actually be moving into a position to take over Steve Blake's starting spot?

Talk about a huge shift if that happens.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    He has been impressive and is playing with confidence again. However, his defense is still atrocious. This is why I don't see Nate starting Sergio.

3. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

I love Sergio, and I am sure he'll be a star. But unless Nate has an epiphany, it is hard to imagine it happening in Portland. I would so love to be wrong, and to see him become the consistent starter here!

iWatas

4. Nikolokolus

True enough, he's still a sub par defender. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say "atrocious," especially when he's been paired up against waterbugs like Steve Nash and Tony Parker; two guys who make just about anyone who tries to guard them look foolish. If Sergio can learn to at least keep his man in front of him and keep people out of the lane on a somewhat consistent basis that would be a pretty huge step for him

It'll be interesting to see if Blake's picks things up in the coming days/weeks/months and how the PG spot gets handled.

5. Nikolokolus

I don't know about "star," but I think he has the potential to be above average (assuming he can keep his level of play and get to at least respectable defender status).

6. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Terrible idea, just as Outlaw as the starter is merely a stop-gap. Sergio is made to play with Rudy/Outlaw/Frye, and Przybilla rebounding. The second unit looks great right now; Roy and LMA need to step up their games to make the first unit an asset instead of a liability at this point.

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Steve Blake hasn't play defense good enough to use Sergio's bad defense as a crutch anymore.

8. Nikolokolus

I'm asking it as a question, not proposing it as a good or bad idea.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Sergio, Rudy, Batum, Outlaw and Oden would beat any combination of the rest of the players on this team 70% of the time.

That's our best starting five.

Not saying they're the best players separately, but by far the best team together we can make from these players.

10. ebott

ebott Active Member

You can't be serious. Maybe you're envisioning a future in which those players are our best lineup. But right now our best lineup is the one with our big three and the two players that compliment them best.

Right now those players are Blake and Webster. A Blake, Roy, Webster, Aldridge and Oden lineup would DESTROY your lineup.

Right now Sergio's doing a good job in the second unit playing a more uptempo loosey goosey style with guys like Rudy and Batum that are great at working away from the ball. But to suggest that he should be in the starting lineup because of that success is a little wonky. Especially when you factor in that Sergio is pretty much useless without the ball in his hands and in a lineup with Roy he would have to play off the ball a lot.

11. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

pretty neat turn of events. sergio shouldn't start though not with brandon. Steve, yes. Jerryd, yes. My boy kirk, hell yes.

12. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Nonsense. I can be serious anytime I want, and I am. I don't need your unobservant permission.

Blake and Webster are good backups, who have never shown promise of being anything more.

Roy and LaMarcus don't have the speed to keep up with Oden in a fullcourt game, and as such are a hindrance to his play.

You obviously can't read. I have Roy coming off the bench with LA and the other slower players. This is the 21st century, and the NBA is a running game. Roy, LA, Pryz, Martell and Steve would be a solid bench IMO, but I stand by my contention that Sergio, Rudy, Batum, TO and Greg would clean their clock, and the rest of the league's.

13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Sergio had 5 pts, 4 assts, and 0 turnovers vs the Suns. He did nothing to deserve being benched in the 2nd half and yet he was. I'm not a Sergio fan but he should have been in there.

14. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Not sure if too many people take your basketball opinion serious anymore.

15. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

Nate said that Sergio (or whoever the backup PG) will get 5-10 mpg... he said this before the season...

16. BlazersBlood

BlazersBlood It's flowing within me.

It's great that Sergio has picked up his game but Nate likes a slowed controlled PG. It drives me nuts because we still aren't getting enough easy buckets. It's hard to get any momentum going when most of our shots are jumpers. Blake does not create for himself or for his teammates. He's about as mediocre as you can get from the PG spot.

Sergio has improved his shot and isn't afraid to attack the basket when trying to make a play for his teammates. I'm still not sure if he can finish at the rim. I remember when teams would just sag off into the passing lanes when he got into the lane to force him to shoot and he couldn't finish. If he's improved in that area, he could be a really dangerous weapon for us.

17. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I'll echo this opinion 100%.

18. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

I've got to order whatever you are drinking, bud! A best lineup w/o our two best players right now? this lineup would kill your lineup.

Bayless
    Roy
    Webster
    Aldridge
    Pyrzbilla

Oden would be the only clear advantage that you would have. I'd have a clear advantage with Roy and Aldridge. 1 and 3 spots would be a toss up- though I think Bayless might be able to disrupt Sergio's running of the offense.

19. Nikolokolus

Maris all you did in this thread is prove that your incapable of discussing the topic at hand (Sergio's development) without throwing out these recockulous assertions that Roy and Aldrdige should be bench players.

Drugs are bad mmmkay.

20. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I tend to try and avoid commenting about peoples opinions but that post has to be the worst I've ever seen. Your taking 2 of your best players out of the starting lineup so that the team can play up tempo yet almost every single year the team that wins the NBA title win because of their defense.