Shattenkirk buyout

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jul 31, 2019.

1. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Shattenkirk bought out saving 5.1 mill this year. Big hit next year of 6 mill and then last 2 years 1.43 mill each. Looks like kreids will be staying

2. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

A little surprising but it saves them having to deal anyone. Safe to say the Shatt deal didn't work but whatever. 6m on the cap next year is alot but they are pretty set roster wise with alot of ELCs. Hopefully they can find way to sign CK. Smith will likely be in Hartford either way which saves a bit more.

3. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

What a disappointment but the proper move. I'm sure he'll land on his skates somewhere, sometimes dreams don't work out in reality.

4. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Well as I've always said. There are a lot of bad GM's out there. I'm sure the GM's out there are mad that Gorton has been ripping people off in trades for over a year now. Instead of taking on a player like Shattenkirk with money retained, they would rather see Gorton have to buy him out. Next year if people did some research won't be a problem either. Namestnikov, Fast, Belesky and Strome are up. Plenty of money to sign Kreider and Georgiev. Especially if you buyout Smith next year.

mrmel29 likes this.
  5. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Don’t forget Girardi’s buyout hit will drop from 3.6 this year to 1.1 next year (and one more yr after that). That 2.5m could be Kreider’s raise right there. And with Strome, Names and Beleskey off we’ll cover the higher Shatty hit next year. While we have more dead space than I would like we are actually in fine shape.

6. theProdigy223

As an aside, I truly feel for Shatty. He's a good man and left a whole lot of money on the table to come play here and live out his dream. Unfortunately that knee injury in his very first training camp has slowed him down significantly. I understand trying to play through it but man did that come back to bite him. Trouba and Fox fit our timeline much better and with the emergence of DeAngelo there just isn't minutes for him anymore,.

I hope he's fully recovered and that he lands in a good spot - if he's healthy, he still has game left.

7. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

Honest question, but why not buy out Staal and try and trade Shatty for literally anything, even a 4-6 round pick? They are both awful defensemen, but Staal’s buyout would have hurt us less if I’m thinking correctly (which I may not be, in fairness).

8. theProdigy223

I think it was a few things.

First,- if you believe Brooks, nobody wanted Shatty. He's hurt and a lot of teams probably thought we were going to buy him out anyway. If you buy out Staal and then still can't trade Shatty, then you have to make another move to get cap compliant and potentially end up with two buyouts instead of one.

Second, I think the logic was that Shatty's buyout was the only one that would get us cap-compliant in one move. He has a huge savings this year that immediately frees up all the room, but does have a big hit in year 2 due to a signing bonus. Whereas Staal's hit was relatively more consistent over the term of the buyout though not enough to get us cap compliant by itself. As dump mentioned above, we can afford that bigger hit next year because Names, Strome and Beleskey (combined 9m hit) are off the books and Girardi's buyout hit drops by 2m.

Finally, I think the team still sees a role for Staal. They have repeatedly talked up Staal's influence on the young defenseman, and we have more on the way. If you trade Staal you're immediately looking at 2 rookies on the left side, or a rookie plus Smith. I think the left side D looks way better going Skjei-Staal-Hajek than Skjei-Hajek-Smith. On the flipside for Shatty, Trouba will suck up a lot of minutes and PP time, DeAngelo needs room to grow and we just got Fox. You could potentially play Shatty on the 3rd pair but that's not his game nor is it a great use of 6.6m.

You take out Staal AND Shatty and well Trouba becomes our elder statesman back there at the ripe age of 25.

It sucks for Shatty but I think buying him out is the right move. We dont need to make any other moves, so any other trade can be for full value rather than a cap dump. And there just wasnt room on the right side for him.

Ranger71 likes this.
  9. Ranger71

Our forward group is pretty stacked with keeping Namestnikov, so I'd think that makes either Fast or Lemieux the spare depending on the opponent. Seems Nieves may be relegated more to the minors now unless Andersson or Kravtsov aren't quite there yet. The 4th line will be an interesting mix this year. Maybe they deal Fast before the summer's out?

10. panzerporter

Staal should have been bought out last year, think that was a rare mistake by Gorton but he's going to have competition this year. Should be seeing what they have with Sean Day and the recently drafted youth. One thing seperates this front office from Sather's is they signed 2 high profile free agents at their peak ages. They have the youngest roster in the NHL and have not hesitated to bring young players right up to the big team. A big cap relief would be Hank retiring instead of floundering around and taking a front office job.

11. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Lemuix should be playing every night. Shattywas a good guy but this team is going in a different direction on defense.

12. mrmel29

Yeah, would be great if hank retired which is not happening as I think the 2 Russians will make a nice tandem.

13. mrmel29

No reason why lemieux shouldn’t be playing every night. He brings a lot to the table

14. panzerporter

I'd like to think Hank still has some pride left Mel and he'd make a great ambassador for the Rangers organization.

15. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Shattenkirk signs 1 yr deal with the Tampa Rangers.

16. Ranger71

No way does Lundqvist retire before this contract is up. He still has a fair amount left in the tank and will be rejuvenated with this revamped squad. Plus it's way too early to simply rely on Shesterkin and Georgiev, who could end up in Seattle in another year. If anything maybe they explore a trade down the line for Lundqvist if the team is out of it, but they'll at least get something for him.

17. panzerporter

Shatt rubbing salt in the cap wound with his pissed off he was bought out nonsense, shouldn't have played if he was hurt but he stunk it up here. Could not even keep a puck in the offensive zone and a turnover machine.

18. Ranger71

If healthy though that's a nice pickup for TB at that $$ and you know he'll have a little chip on his shoulder.