Shawn Bradley Paralyzed

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by e_blazer, Mar 17, 2021.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  2. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Oh No. He must be in a hopeless place right now. I hope by some miracle he comes back to his self.

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    That's utterly awful.

4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Terrible

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Man.... this is why I don't really like riding bikes on streets. I always feel so exposed. When I rode my motorcycle I wore literal armor. Thick leather. Huge full face helmet. But when people ride bikes they just wear a tiny little plastic helmet and maybe some jeans.

AldoTrapani and Phatguysrule like this.
  6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm terrified of this when riding bikes on streets.

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Damn that's messed up. Is there no chance he can recover?

8. bulls_with_booz

bulls_with_booz We're Selfish

Such terrible news that you don't even want to think about it.

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Back in 1999 I was hit on my bike by a guy in a new Ford F150. I was coming down a hill into an intersection where I didn't have a stop sign or stop light. He was waiting at a stop sign of the road coming into the intersection on my left. A car going the same way I was had just passed me as I was coming into the intersection. As soon as that car passed through the intersection the truck driver gunned it crushing me. My front tire hit his passenger side catapulting me over the handlebars and headfirst into the side of his truck. The impact sent me flipping through the air until (of course) I landed on my head. As I lay on the street writhing in pain and shock, the 75 year old driver came over to spit on and curse me for denting his truck. His even older brother held him back from kicking me, which he was flailing with his leg trying to do. Even in my pathetic state I found that sort of funny.

It took over a year of rehabbing mostly at home to recover. During that extended downtime I bought a computer and started posting with this group of Blazer fans. I still ride my bikes.

STOMP

10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Damn. Glad you recovered from that.

Same year I got hit by a car on Powell Blvd. The first lane of cars was stopped...7-8 cars long and I couldn't see the other lane. I didn't want to be discourtious and keep the cars waiting and thought hey if there is a car coming in the other lane they will see the cars have stopped and follow suit...nope.

Lady hit me going 30. Flew up over the hood and side of her car, breaking the driver side mirror as I went, turned in the air, landed butt first on her back door leaving a butt imprinted shaped dent, bounced off, somehow instinctively curled into a ball, and hit the ground rolling.

I dragged myself to the side of the road. The lady stopped several feet ahead got out, looked at me, looked at her car, looked back at me, looked back at her car, back at me and said, "Oh my God, my car!"

Fortunately, just some deep bone bruises all over that kept me in bed for a week and road rash. Luckily didn't hit my head. No broken bones or anything. I thought I was dead when I was in the air. I was floating in darkness...losing consciousness momentarily saved me...my body didn't tense and so injury wasn't worse.

11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Sorry man, are you mostly recovered?

12. Chris Craig

Only if they are from @crandc

Tyrant of Ants likes this.
  13. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I had a similar experience. Only it was in Las Vegas and I was riding a moped and it was 1979. Lol.

14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Las Vegas is near Bradley's home in St. George. Anyone in the mood to roll out the old velocipede?

https://utah.com/mountain-biking/st-george

15. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Thanks guys. I have to exercise regularly/stay in good shape as my back is compromised and will bark otherwise, but overall I'm good. In my 30's I was enough of an exercise junkie to being back to grabbing the rim in hoops (5'10). Now 53 my knees have both been scoped and my playing days are over, but coming out of that stretch the desire to get back on the court was an incredible pull. While awful on it's face that year also deeply shaped me in many positive ways. I definitely appreciate things more and today live a blessed life with the one who got away.

Not that he's reading this, but best to Shawn. Hopefully he's able to find the hope and inner peace to pull himself through. I've a couple friends who are partially paralyzed who've gone on to live fulfilling lives. Truly rough but again, here's hoping.

STOMP

16. Hoopguru

I wish I had gotten my knee's replaced 3 years before I did. Im amazed at after a year I have zero pain can walk and bike for miles. My whole spirit and ability to be mobile has changed. I hit the gym 5 days a week to help ignite the nerves and muscle memory.

STOMP and e_blazer like this.
  17. Hoopguru

The doc I had does only knees and was super!

18. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

I don’t get how people do it. I get the idea of biking sure but man why you would ride a freaking bike in a car world is beyond me

Phatguysrule likes this.
  19. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I felt unsafe on a motorcycle, and that was with a ton of protective gear on a vehicle that could avoid or outrun cars much easier than a bicycle. Ultimately I gave up the motorcycle because we were going to have a kid and I didn't want to take the risk anymore. The average car driver is a moron. They don't pay attention. And with cell phones and other distractions, it's extremely dangerous out there.

20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Yale Scientists Successfully Repair Injured Spinal Cords Using Patients’ Own Stem Cells

Intravenous injection of bone marrow derived stem cells in patients with spinal cord injuries led to significant improvement in motor functions, researchers from Yale University and Japan have reported.

For more than half of the patients studied, substantial improvements in key functions—such as ability to walk, or to use their hands—were observed within weeks of stem cell injection, the researchers report. No substantial side effects were reported.

The patients had sustained non-penetrating spinal cord injuries, in many cases from falls or minor trauma, several weeks prior to implantation of the stem cells. Their symptoms involved loss of motor function and coordination, sensory loss, as well as bowel and bladder dysfunction.

The stem cells were prepared from the patients’ own bone marrow, via a culture protocol that took a few weeks in a specialized cell processing center. The cells were injected intravenously in this series, with each patient serving as their own control. Results were not blinded and there were no placebo controls.

Yale scientists Jeffery D. Kocsis and Stephen G. Waxman were senior authors of the study—which was carried out with investigators at Sapporo Medical University in Japan—with the results published last month in the Journal of Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery.

Kocsis and Waxman stress that additional studies will be needed to confirm the results of this preliminary, unblinded trial. They also stress that this could take years. Despite the challenges, they remain optimistic.

“Similar results with stem cells in patients with stroke increases our confidence that this approach may be clinically useful,” noted Kocsis. “This clinical study is the culmination of extensive preclinical laboratory work using MSCs between Yale and Sapporo colleagues over many years.”

“The idea that we may be able to restore function after injury to the brain and spinal cord using the patient’s own stem cells has intrigued us for years,” Waxman said. “Now we have a hint, in humans, that it may be possible.”

Source: YaleNews

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/yale-scientists-repair-injured-spinal-cords-stem-cells/