Shots per game: who gets them?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Reep, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Last year (top 9, 83 shots)

Roy 16
    Aldridge 15
    Outlaw 12
    Webster 9
    Blake 8
    Jack 8
    Frye 6
    Jones 6
    Joel 3

Outlaw supposedly got so many shots because he was the primary scorer on the white unit.

2008-09 (top 9) (83 shots?)

Roy 15
    Aldridge 15
    Rudy 10
    Outlaw 8
    Webster 8
    Bayless 7
    Oden 7
    Blake 7
    Frye/Diogu 6

Does it spread out evenly through the newcomers or do the top scorers get all the shots:

Aldridge 18
    Roy 15
    Rudy 12 (bench)
    Oden 10
    Outlaw 8 (bench)
    Bayless 7 (bench)
    Blake 5
    Webster 4
    Frye/Diogu 4

Any guesses?

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Roy 20
    LA 20
    G.O. 20
    Rudy 20
    Bayless 20

Nobody else shoots!

3. dreamcloud

dreamcloud Well-Known Member

Make sure you're not forgetting about FT's attempted in that shot total..those can skew a team's real shot total a lot

4. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I took those numbers off the averages per game for last year. My thought is that if Roy, Aldridge and Oden are the primary shooters in the starting lineup, then it may be hard to see Bayless or Rudy there also, because they would get more shots in the second unit? This is the logic that kept Travis in the white unit last year, and does make sense.

You almost have to decide how many shots you want each player to take during a game, and then decide where (starter or bench) they can actually get those shots in the pecking order.

5. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I really doubt Oden takes only 7 shots a night. I mean, that's making him a Dale Davis-type player.

Over the season, I suspect about 15 shots for Roy, 15 shots for Aldridge and 12 shots for Oden. Over half our offense should be coming from those three guys. Which is actually a nice distribution of low post, high post and perimeter scoring.

Shots-per-game won't be a very relevant number for the rest of the team. Run the offense through those three, and if you are open as a result, shoot. Some nights Fernandez may threaten to go for 28 points, some nights he may have 5. Ditto with Bayless and Outlaw. It'll just depend on matchups and which of those three secondary scorers has a hot hand.

As for the other guys, nobody remembers how many shots Rick Fox or Robert Horry took. Make a high percentage and you'll get playing time because the defense has to guard you. Don't and you won't play.

Piltzer likes this.
  6. Piltzer

Piltzer The Intern

Unpaid Office Suport Intern
    I think mook hit it on the nail. Oden, Roy, and LMA will be the foundation of our offense. If anything we need someone off our bench whither that is Travis, Bayless, Rudy, or Martell to act as our three point threat. Whoever steps up to that role consistently will garner the next largest role in our offense with the rest acting as sparks.

However I don't think it will matter all that much with our Big Three how the shots are divided between them. Anyone of them could become the pivot of our offense. Right now that is Roy, but either of the other two could become our anchor which is nice. There will be no double teams.

7. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

Nate keeps confirming that Roy, LMA and Oden are getting 35 minutes/game--but doesn't talk about anyone else. You have to figure that they are clearly the focal points unless someone else steps up and joins them.

8. Piltzer

Piltzer The Intern

Unpaid Office Suport Intern
    They might be the focal points but for all we know Oden could get his minutes from his stellar defense. It might take him a year or two to gain that roll for our offense. Don't think it will what with the reports on his offense improving and all but that could be an exaggeration.

God the season needs to start soon. If I get get any more pumped you might have top clean my remains with a shovel. I think I am about to burst.