Should Gareth Southgate be allowed to continue?

Discussion in 'England' started by dycdan, Nov 18, 2006.

1. dycdan

dycdan DYC please wait...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Middlesbrough will find out on 22 November if the Premier League Board will allow Gareth Southgate to continue as manager until the end of the season.

"We hope that it will receive sympathetic support," said Boro chief executive Keith Lamb.

Southgate, 36, does not have a Uefa Pro Licence and his initial three-month dispensation period has almost expired.

He is going for his B licence, will start his A licence in the new year and undertake his Pro Licence next summer.

The Premier League rules have been amended so that a manager can remain in his position as long as he has enrolled on the Pro Licence course.

Southgate cannot do this until the has his acquired his B then A badges - but Boro are confident that their plan will satisfy the Premier League.

And Boro are expected to argue that Southgate did not have the opportunity to take his badges because he was still a player when he was offered the managerial position at the club.

Boro are hopeful of a sympathetic audience given that Southgate was offered the job after Steve McClaren left the club to become the new England coach.

The new Boro boss has repeatedly stated his desire to acquire his coaching badges but has not had the opportunity to do so since taking charge - and is hopeful of being able to continue at the Riverside.

"I am expecting to be able to carry on in the role," said Southgate last week.

"What we have wanted to do all along is be open and honest.

"We did not set out to give me a different title, we have tried to do things the right way.

"Everybody is working to try to progress things and I am continuing to try to educate myself with the badges and qualifications that are needed."</div>What are people's views on this?

I personally would like to see him stay in charge BUT we can't allowed managers to manage if they haven't got the qualifications

Southgate was still playing football, but he still should of got his license. Roeder had an excuse in that he was seriously ill, but Southgate doesn't really have one

If the FA let him stay in charge, then this law may aswell be scrapped as it will give most managers the excuse to be a manager without the qualifications! :geek: