Should we keep or trade Henderson?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerCaravan, Feb 2, 2016.

?

Do you...

1. Keep him

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Trade him

31 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

He's playing well recently, and has turned our three guard lineup into a viable four-guard rotation. But he's 28, and will go for the most money in the off-season. Do you try to keep him as a rental for the season, hoping you can convince him to stay (or just let him go for nothing), or do you trade him at the deadline for anything you can get?

2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    You mean he's playing himself into good trade bait! ;)

I see no reason why he won't follow the money this off season. I wouldn't hesitate to trade him if the right deal presents itself. But I'm also ok finishing out the season with him.

3. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I still say they should see what they can get for him, Kaman, and Meyers.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good question. Neil needs to decide if he wants/can re-sign him. If he thinks he has no chance or would prefer to go another direction.....then yeah dump him for a draft pick.

But he is just hitting his prime so we could have 3-4 solid years out of him. I like him.
    How much would I pay him to stay? He makes 6 now. I would give him 8 per. Is that enough?

I said this in another thread yesterday, does Neil think Crabbe has a future at SF? He has awfully long arms. I think that is a factor as well. Because Crabbe is a bigger priority IMO.

5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Move. He's my least favorite player on the team to watch. He doesn't understand how to move the ball and ends up shooting low percentage difficult fadeaways. He's had some good stretches of play but more as a garbage energy man when he isn't trying to be a top 3 option in the offense. He could have some value to a contending team. I think OKC is the perfect fit as they desperately need a 3+D wing.

Other teams will have interest. We can't get a first but maybe an underperforming young player or a decent second round pick which would be good. Maybe we can absorb an overpaid contract in a trade as well for a slightly better return but I think many Blazer fans greatly overrate his value. Kaman has less value than nothing while Hendo is worth a bit more than nothing. Nothing is the value of a team just absorbing their contract ala the Mo Harkless acquisition.

Hendo is the type of free agent signing a contending team should make with MLE money if they have a need at the wings. His effectiveness may decline very soon as Gerald Wallace type of players do so I wouldn't sign him for more than a year or two. I would target many other options in free agency first. As the Blazers likely won't be contending next season he is even a lower priority to try and keep long term if he can't be traded.

Red Rooster, Tunchi, BBert and 2 others like this.
  6. BlazerCaravan

Blazers aren't contending until the team moves to the eastern conference or Steph Curry retires, so that's kind of out the window.

7. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Great question.
    If we could get a 1st rounder for him, yes.
    If we could get a 2nd rounder for him, no.

8. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I actually love his game and watching him play, but I definitely wouldn't be against trading him if the right deal came along.

dviss1, Eastoff, Pinwheel1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Well I agree in the sense we shouldn't be aiming to resign Hendo.

But there's a big difference between a title favorite and a possible contender. Maybe the Warriors are the favorites for the next half dozen years but there will always be other teams with a chance. Injuries normally happen to all teams at some point.

The Warriors improved from an average young team to contenders over a few years. We already have our own two lethal shooters. We have some other interesting pieces. Just need a Draymond who we get with a second round pick and an Iguodala veteran free agent. Two very difficult acquisitions to duplicate for sure but any road to build a contender is going to be difficult and unlikely.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'd give him a 2 year deal, team option 2nd year..I LIKE HAVING A BENCH!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Hendo to Okc for McGary?

KeepOnRollin and Draco like this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

At 28 he won't take a 2 year deal unless we over paid him. But I agree I like having a bench too, and he has adapted pretty well after his surgery. It's not easy coming in cold off the bench. I would not overpay for him though much like I did not want to overpay for Wes. So the more I think about it, he may be hard to keep.

I do love his hops.

Darkwebs and BlazerCaravan like this.
  13. BlazerCaravan

I guess our window is 3 years from now through about 6 years from now, when CJ/Dame/Crabbe are 28-30... by then the Spurs/Warriors/Clippers could all be weaker.

14. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I think Hendo is going to be a very under the radar signing for someone. They are going to get him for very cheap. I'm talking 5 or 6 mil a year. I'd love to get him for 5 mil a season. It'll be fun to watch how this progresses.

15. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

In Olshey I trust!

I'm seriously fine with whatever the Big O does. If he feels he can make the team better by trading Hendo then I'm good with it. If he keeps him, I'm good with that too.

16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. This year and next year are rebuilding years. The year after that in 2017-18 season will be a more critical point. We don't necessarily have to be a contender that year but we need to have the foundation of a team that could be contending soon. Lillard will be 27 and close to his apex as a player. Months ago I had thought that will really be the point when the franchise decides if we are contending with Dame or even entertain the unthinkable of trading him for picks and doing a longer term rebuild.

The Blazers playing .500 ball right now makes it seem very likely we will be trying to compete then. But much will change in those two years; look at the Suns a few seasons ago. They were winning 50 games with a roster expected to be in the lottery, had a stockpile of draft assets and an innovative coach of the year. It all fell apart to now being one of the worst teams with few young assets.

When this season started Dame and Meyers were the only Blazers with more than two years on the team. So we'll have to see what other draft, free agent and trade acquisitions Neil puts together. How does the Lillard & CJ duo work long term? I'm excited to see if it can be more effective than all doubters think. It allows the roster to have unique players at the frontcourt spots with limited offensive skills. Very few thought a team such as the Warriors can win shooting so many threes or with Draymond at Center two years ago. Creativity and innovation can build a contender. Teams need to build through their own unique strengths not try to follow an exact Spurs, Warriors, Heat blueprint. Those teams won titles doing what they do well not following what another team did well.

The NBA landscape changes so much faster than we expect. Look at what many though of Houston, Miami, Memphis, and our Blazers a year and a half ago. There will be a number of current contenders that are unexpectely completely dismantled such as one of OKC, Clippers, or Bulls. Some young teams will shock us and compete for home court such as one of the Jazz, Pistons, or Magic.

BlazerCaravan and riverman like this.
  17. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He's not going to be a key piece in us making a deep playoff run this season, so the main consideration is long-term benefit. If we're looking at the likelihood of re-signing him this offseason, I imagine that whether or not we trade him this month will have little effect on that. Based on that line of thinking, I would say it would be better to obtain an asset in exchange for the final third of his season.

18. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

I don't think he is going to get a big offer this summer.
    He's not a star so he's not getting over 12M. He's also not a legit starter if you are building a solid team so no levelheaded manager will pay him more than 10M.

I think we should keep him, unless we can get a pick around 12-20 for him.
    The team does well with him on the bench.

*A sneaky good deal can be sending him in exchange for a 2017(or 2018) 1st rounder when the other team is very successful now but can sink into oblivion in the future (OKC if they lose Durant\Miami\Hawks\Raptors\Mavs).

42N8Bounce, Eastoff and BlazerCaravan like this.
  19. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think Olshey will talk with him and his agent and find out that he wants a place where he has a chance to start and that will not be Portland, so Olshey will trade him before the deadline.

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I would trade him. We are gonna be busy paying crabbe this summer. Hendo is gonna get a decent offer and leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikolokolus and BlazerCaravan like this.