Should we retire the jersey #15

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by dothehustle, Jul 17, 2006.

1. dothehustle

dothehustle JBB JustBBall Member

There has been a lot of rumors that Jorge Garajosa has agreed to sign a 3 year deal with the Raptors and he is currently wearing #15 in the spanish L.
    This was a hot topic today on FAN590. Do you guys think we should retire the jersey number I mean Vince does hold alot of raptors record scoring,free throw,3-point shooting. I personally believe as a Raptor Fan we should just move on and let it go but deep inside I still want Vinces number to remain untouched I know this might sound crazy but he could end up with us by the end of his career( and thats just me as the VC fan talking so dont Bash me [​IMG] )

What ya'll think?

2. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

If Vince hadn't been drafted by the Raptors, there's a good chance Toronto's fate could have been similar to Vancouver's. Not only did he make millions of kids enjoy basketball again, but in 2001, the Raptors had the whole country cheering for them in thier playoff run against the Sixers. No matter how much you may hate him, he single handedly popularized basketball in Canada again and it'd be a shame if we didn't retire Carter's jersey. I've always been a big fan because I grew up watching him and Kobe and imitating thier moves and even dunks. So, even though this may be biased, I don't think any other player that dons a Raptors uni should wear that number again.

3. dothehustle

I totally agree with you, He brought fans to the seat of ACC for six years. Look at that game againts SAC I think that was on his birthday Jan 26th in the 2002-2003 season. When Vince made that dunk on a fastbreak and cleaned his knee. I believe we had a horrible season and ended with a 24 win season but if you look around the arena it was packed. That's how much WE loved Vince. I think the only reason why they are saying we shouldnt retire VCs jersey is because of how he left the town. But hate him or love him he put us on the map

4. Karma

I remember that game! lol He didn't do much for most of the game but I remember when he dunked it (and it was just a normal soft two handed one) and brushed his knee the place EXPLODED. I loved it...even when we were losing I would watch a Raptors game just to see him play. I miss him still, but life goes on. I still love the Raptors but VC had an appeal that's going to be hard for any other 'superstar' that comes to Toronto to match. Bosh's popularity isn't even HALF of what Vince's was when he was manning the team but I think the popularity comes with winning and if the Raptors get rolling, Bosh will sooner or later reach KG status, atleast in T.O.

5. BlueBayou

BlueBayou JBB JustBBall Member

I hope he wears number 15.

6. spyware

spyware JBB JustBBall Member

I love Vince Carter, even if it hurts to see him kill us sometimes. However, if Jorge wants to wear #15, I feel he should. Yes, Carter brought Toronto into the NBA map, but he turned his back on the franchise in a very negative way...leaving Toronto with almost nothing but the idea of Bosh surviving on his own.

7. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

8. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

after hitler- i dont think germen couples were naming their newborns hitler, likewise, i doubt the raptors would allow their new players to sport a number that will forever live in infamy here in raptor nation.

9. bryce40ww

bryce40ww JBB JustBBall Member

All I know is that I'd love to see a number fifteen that doesn't roll around on the ground every time he's bumped...and that Vince doesn't deserve to be honoured by a team that he spit on as he left.

Also, I love the Hitler-Carter analogy.

10. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">after hitler- i dont think germen couples were naming their newborns hitler, likewise, i doubt the raptors would allow their new players to sport a number that will forever live in infamy here in raptor nation.</div>

i dont like this at all.

anyways, it depends. i say it is too early to tell. If he starts sucking, then definatley retire it, but if he goes on to great success for NJ, then they should have it. If he moves, then idk

11. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

I say retire it. We (as in Toronto) don't want to have a lifelong grudge against one player because of the way he left the team. We should retire VC's jersey as a sign of respect for what he did for Toronto, and as a way to say "let's move on".

I believe he did more right than wrong in his time in Toronto, with putting us on the map and all. Besides, he was our team's first "superstar", so I think he should receive some respect for that.

12. og15

og15 JBB *********

Doesn't matter to me.

13. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

i recognize everything vince did for bball in canada...but he didnt do it on purpose...he just went out and played his game, and it all came together.

if vince brought a title to toronto then yes...but he didnt...so i say no

14. dothehustle

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting deception:</div><div class="quote_post">after hitler- i dont think germen couples were naming their newborns hitler, likewise, i doubt the raptors would allow their new players to sport a number that will forever live in infamy here in raptor nation.</div>

Yeah um you;re comparing Vince to Hitler? last time i checked Hitler was killing babies and mothers. What did Vince do? You saw him put up 27 ppg in 2001. Injuries hit him and hit him hard and being in Toronto even made it worst. Since majority of sport fans here dont know anything about basketball. All they say is "fcuk that guy he is a baby, he gets injured everyday. I wanna see a superstar here in T.O. with no suporting cast wutsoever carry the whole fuckin load night in and night out with a busted knee and ankles. Whats so funny is they would boo Vince in home games and when he does a 360 dunk everyone starts cheering again [​IMG]

15. bryce40ww

bryce40ww JBB JustBBall Member

He's not comparing vince to hitler, he's just using hitler as an example to prove his point. If a community hates somebody, you don't go around celebrating them.

16. dothehustle

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bryce40ww:</div><div class="quote_post">He's not comparing vince to hitler, he's just using hitler as an example to prove his point. If a community hates somebody, you don't go around celebrating them.</div>

well yeah but the comparison is too far fetched. Hitler did NOTHING good for the germans and every german has the right to hate him. Vince on the other hand actually did something good for the town. People just hated him because of the way he left us

17. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

That's because Hitler is a last name. I'm sure there are many people in Germany still named Adolf. I would expect someone who lives in Europe to at least understand that simple bit of history.[​IMG] The fact that you would even make a comparison with perhaps the most evil man in history is just disgusting. It's just plain sick.

Personally, I don't care if he gets it retired. DJ thinks he should have at least brought us 'ship, but there are many other players who have been retired without bringing their city a title. Also, this is a completely different situation, as he is Canada's first superstar, and put our country on the basketball map. We could have ended up like the Grizzlies if not for VC. However, he did leave on bad terms, so I don't think it'd be appropriate anyways. If he brings NJ a title, then it will get retired there anyways.

18. Karma

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    If a community hates somebody, you don't go around celebrating them.
    </div>

Not everyone in the GTA hates Vince...I know A LOT of people that still have a lot of love for him.

Since majority of sport fans here dont know anything about basketball. All they say is "fcuk that guy he is a baby, he gets injured everyday
    </div>

The media made that perception worse. Damn, don't get me started on the Toronto media...half of them don't know wtf they're talking about.

if vince brought a title to toronto then yes...but he didnt...so i say no
    </div>

With Vince as our primary option:

- Went from a 16-66 record in 1997-1998 to 23-27 in 1999 and were in contention for a playoff spot until a late season collapse

- Made first ever playoff birth against the battle-tested New York Knicks veteran team and although Carter struggled, he has one of the most spectacular regular season that we had ever season and he definetly put Toronto on the map...before this seaosn...who were we? What were we remembered for? Trading Damon Stoudamire?

- Led us to 2nd straight playoff birth, despite Tracy McGrady leaving....not only that, led us past the Knicks with clutch perfomances (by him and Alvin Williams) and helped us to get to game 7 against Philly...and I don't care what anyone says, I would have gone to my graduation as well...the funniest thing is that it's not like we lost by a blowout...we lost by a single shot rimming out...what, just because he went to his graduation, that shot didn't fall in? The media is a bunch of morons.

- Was having a spectacular year in 2001-2002 until the injury bug hit him..

And we all know the story after that.

Yes, Carter did get injured numerous times in Toronto...but the work he put forth in the community and the excitement he brought to this city is STILL unparralleled...and unless we get someone like Kobe or Tracy Mcgrady or Kevin Garnett or basically any other top tier player, that excitement is going to remain unmatched.

If he starts sucking, then definatley retire it, but if he goes on to great success for NJ
    </div>

Majority of Raptor fans are bitter cause he did go on to be great in NJ...

and that Vince doesn't deserve to be honoured by a team that he spit on as he left
    </div>

But he does deserve to be honoured by the same team that finally got some respect and credibility once he came into the picture. How easily we forget the good times...

19. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

It's fun to discuss, but I can't imagine a situation where it would ever happen.

If half your fanbase likes him, and half don't, as an owner, you're not gonna make the decision that half of them will hate.

I doubt it happens.

20. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Retire it for what? Winning one playoff series in 7 years?