Notice SI: McCollum for Wiggins Trade Should but Won’t Happen

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 2, 2017.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...lum-andrew-wiggins-trail-blazers-timberwolves

Jeremy Woo of Sports Illustrated explains why a McCollum-Wiggins swap makes sense but why the trade won’t happen.

[​IMG]
    Steve Dykes-USA TODAY Sports

Heading into last weekend, the Sports Illustrated staff collaborated to share their ideas for NBA trades that make sense but, for various reasons, won’t happen. Ben Golliver sent Paul George to the Cavaliers, Rob Mahoney sent George Hill to the Bucks, Rohan Nadkarni sent DeMarcus Cousins to the Celtics, Andrew Sharp sent Eric Bledsoe to the Spurs, and Jeremy Woo sent CJ McCollum to the Timberwolves—in exchange for former No. 1 draft pick Andrew Wiggins.

Why it should happen: C.J. McCollum and Damian Lillard are similar. Andrew Wiggins and Jimmy Butler are similar. Breaking up both pairings would conceivably round out both teams!

Why it won’t happen: Financial difficulties aside (the Blazers are in the tax and Wiggins’ big extension doesn’t kick in until next year), both teams are in position to be patient here.

McCollum trade rumors seem to crop up every year, but as a dynamic low-maintenance, still-improving scorer, Portland shouldn’t be ready to punt. That backcourt poses defensive issues, but the ability to have Lillard or McCollum on the court at all times is still a luxury. Whenever the weight of both contracts saddles the Blazers more than the value of two All-Star caliber guards is when this gets real, and I don’t think we’re there yet—especially not when it would mean eating even more long-term money with Wiggins’s deal.

To read about how McCollum could help the Timberwolves and why Minnesota still wouldn’t pull the trigger, check out the full article, here.

What do you think, Portland? Is there a conceivable timeline where the Trail Blazers do this deal, and would you want them to? What would have to happen for either team to consider this trade? How would the Trail Blazers improve or regress?

2. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Definitely not a guy I would target in a CJ deal.

riverman, blue9, BonesJones and 3 others like this.
  3. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

"Here Minnesota, win another trade."

Orion Bailey and PDXFonz like this.
  4. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

If you ignore talent, work ethic, and salaries, then yeah, it makes a lot of sense.

BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  5. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

FTFY

BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  6. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
  7. Hey

Hey Active Member

I don't necessarily think Wiggins is better than CJ but I do think he would make us better and has a higher overall ceiling. The article makes a solid point that both teams have a redudancy issue.

8. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Yeah but it should be Butler for CJ not Wiggins for CJ

9. SportsAndWhine

10. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

That's actually a decent idea.

Denny Crane likes this.
  11. Hey

Hey Active Member

They're not going to trade their prized off-season addition. He is basically what the Timberwolves hope Wiggins will become: an all-star two way wing.

12. SportsAndWhine

Wiggins isn't worth CJ. Butler is. Gotta pay to play.

13. Hey

Hey Active Member

If you think McCollum is that much better than Wiggins, you need to take your homer glasses off. There's a decent argument for both being better than the other. It's only been a few years of seeing CJ featured full time but I think we all pretty much know his ceiling by now. He's a crafty finisher with excellent shooting, but he can be ball hog that makes mistakes from trying too hard with hero ball. He's not a reliable point guard and he's a liability on defense due to his job on offense and size at his position without much room for growth defensively.

Wiggins isn't as efficient shooting but he's a better and stronger finisher at the rim and showing an improvement in his jumper throughout the years. Defensively he should be a lot better than he's shown but he's also been asked to carry the load on some bad Minnesota teams. He definitely has the tools to become an elite or better than defender and I'd be willing to take the gamble. Only because I've seen what we have with Lillard and CJ together and I don't think it's ever going to be championship material. At least with Wiggins there's an unknown possibility that it forms into something more balanced.

brooklynballer, Ed O and Darkwebs like this.
  14. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Fuck not the redundancy thing again. Count how many minutes they were on the floor tonight. ....together.
    And they play different positions....or at least they should. Right now ET can play with either. Long term maybe they need to upgrade that 3rd guard. But redundancy is not an accurate description halfway through the 1st and 3rd quarter until halfway into the 2nd and 4th.

This team needs more shooters not less.

15. Hey

Hey Active Member

If you don't think redundancy is a problem, then I don't know what to tell you. They are two combo scoring guards who rely on their handles and a quick trigger. They don't always share the floor but they do a lot, especially in crunch time. When they are both on the court, they just take turns playing iso rather than effectively play off each other.

I'm not clamoring for a CJ trade, but if this was ever actually offered, the Blazers would be fools if they didn't think long and hard about it. In other words, it's not a "I'm hanging up" offer that some of you are making it out to be.

16. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Lillard and CJ are not redundant. That is an argument that is only made by people who watch maybe 8 Blazer games a year, as is the Steph/Monte arguement.

17. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

SportsAndWhine likes this.
  18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I was going to post something I thought was smart and concise but it looks like you guys have handled it for me.

BlazerWookee and BrianFromWA like this.
  19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Bledsoe rates as possibly the worst player in the league atm. He was a part of two losses by nearly 50, and didn't play in their bounce back after.

20. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I watched 85 games last season (missed one due to travel). Of course they aren't exactly the same but there are a lot of similarities.

Similar size.
    Not bad if one is a smaller scoring guard but when both are, it creates defensive problems. No surprise here.
    Ball dominant scoring guards. CJ is more mid-range/perimeter while Dame is more '3'/layin/FT but neither passes a lot given the amount of time they have control over the ball. When they do pass, it is often just to each other. Again, nothing new here.
    Poor defense. Dame is a little better this year but that is in comparison to quite poor. CJ still looks lost most of the time or just not trying.

Numerous times per season, they give up season highs, career highs, or in the case of Yogi Ferrell, get him a guaranteed contract out of the D-League. Their defense also causes problems for Portland's bigs as they get in foul trouble having to switch out on a smaller player or have to pick up an opponent running completely free down the lane. I just see a lot more similarities than differences.

Ed O, Nate, kjironman1 and 2 others like this.