Silas to accept Cavs' coaching offer

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by jjdaman20, Jun 1, 2003.

1. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com

The Cleveland Cavaliers offered their coaching position to Paul Silas, and he will accept the job possibly as soon as Monday, league sources told ESPN.com.

That lines up Silas, who was fired by the New Orleans Hornets on May 4, to be LeBron James' first pro coach.

Sources said that Silas is the Cavaliers' choice after the club conducted two interviews each with Silas and ex-New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy.

ESPN.com reported Friday that Silas was the Cavs' leading candidate entering the weekend, despite persistent speculation that Van Gundy was mulling over a lucrative offer. Van Gundy, who along with Silas has also interviewed with the Houston Rockets, said Thursday that a return to coaching next season was only 50-50.

"I don't have an offer from either team, " he told USA Today.

Van Gundy was expected to demand more money and personnel control than Silas, who turns 60 in July and fits the veteran profile established months ago by Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund.

Earlier in the season, Gund's interest was piqued by the Memphis Grizzlies' turnaround under Hubie Brown. That prompted Gund to make a rare road trip to Memphis to do some firsthand research on Brown's methods.

Silas could not be reached for comment Saturday, but told ESPN.com last month that he would relish the opportunity to coach James, in spite of the intense scrutiny surrounding the teen phenom.

"A kid like that only comes around only every so often," Silas said at the time. "He's got the potential to be truly great, but he's going to need some guidance and some fatherly love. And that's what I would give him."

Cleveland would be Silas' third stop as a head coach. After a stint with the San Diego Clippers in the early 1980s, Silas had to wait 15 seasons before getting another shot to run a team. He spent four-plus seasons with the Hornets, quickly establishing himself as a players' favorite. Silas also reached the playoffs in each of his four full seasons with the Hornets despite a steady stream of difficult circumstances.

Silas helped hold the team together after the tragic death of Bobby Phills in January 2000 and through last season's lame-duck campaign in Charlotte before the move to New Orleans. With the move to Louisiana looming, and despite losing Jamal Mashburn for half the 2001-02 season to a mysterious bout with vertigo, the Hornets played their home games in a near-empty building and still made the second round of the playoffs.

The Hornets were knocked out in six games by Philadelphia in this season's first round, but were forced to play at times without injured stars Baron Davis and Mashburn. With a Hornets' record of 208-155, Silas was fired two days after they were eliminated.
    </div>
    I think Silas will be a good fit...he was fired for no reason but in Cleveland he has to prove himself....maybe by making the playoffs....I'd like to see Cleveland get to the playoffs in those new unis....I like them...u may not but I don't care...it's my opinion....so what's ur take on Silas gettin the job?

2. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

It's an alright choice for Silas. Which coaches and coaching spots are open now?

3. go_duke21

go_duke21 JBB JustBBall Member

itll be good to have some discipline for all those young guys on that team

4. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

yah i saw the report on the score he is great devolpeing players like magloire.

5. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

Damn, I was hoping hed take Philly

6. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

He'll be a good teacher for LeBron.

7. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

he'll keep his ego from exploding (hopefully)

8. DLee7283

DLee7283 Bond, James Bond

student
    Silas is just the coach to break Bron into the NBA as a father/teacher type figure,Silas wont be the head coach when Bron is in his prime,I guarantee that

9. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

Yeah cuz when Bron is in his prime...Silas will be 80 somethin with alzheimers lol

10. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Silas is a great choice for the cavs...he always finds a way to get the best out of his players.