Sixers flirtation with Ginobili was real

Discussion in 'San Antonio Spurs' started by truebluefan, Feb 14, 2017.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili made his lone trip this season to the Wells Fargo Center on Wednesday.

In an alternate universe, he might have called Philadelphia home.

When the 39-year-old Ginobili hit free agency last summer, the 76ers were one team interested in his services as a veteran presence to help lead their youth-laden roster.

Ginobili said the connection with Sixers coach Brett Brown, a former Spurs assistant, made the interest intriguing.

“I was very flattered,” Ginobili said. “With Brett Brown, I had a great relationship when he was here. He was my guy. The fact that he wanted to sign me at this stage of my career and tell me he thought I was important to his project was very, very flattering.”

Once Ginobili learned the Spurs still wanted him around, his decision became easy.

He returned to the only team he had ever known.

“Once the Spurs showed great interest and really wanted me back, of course I wanted to come back, too,” Ginobili said.

Thanks in part to Philadelphia’s interest, Ginobili earned a hefty pay raise to come back to San Antonio.

- See more at: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...hp?t=b48e5f6007927fc3fb&cmpid=twitter-premium