Slam Dunk Competition

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by Shard, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Did anybody watch this?

Andre Emmett took the crown and he was nice...but I thought Myree Bowden of Pacific outdid him. For some reason the judges thought jumping over some kids was better than jumping over another tall basketball player. Bowden had like a 45" vertical and he was insane.

I was disappointed by Julius Page, he's got the hops for sure but his dunks just weren't cutting it.

What did you guys think of the competition?

2. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

Man I missed it again, and I still haven't seen last years one. I thought it was on Saturday. Bowden got a 45? That had the jump meter in this 1 too?

3. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Shard07:</div><div class="quote_post">Did anybody watch this?

Andre Emmett took the crown and he was nice...but I thought Myree Bowden of Pacific outdid him. For some reason the judges thought jumping over some kids was better than jumping over another tall basketball player. Bowden had like a 45" vertical and he was insane.

I was disappointed by Julius Page, he's got the hops for sure but his dunks just weren't cutting it.

What did you guys think of the competition?</div>

Yeah Myree Bowden hops were serious & he is like 6'0, so it made his dunks look a little exciting. But Andre Emmett had some good dunks. The joint where he thru the ball off the gym wall was a good look because of the bounce he got off it. It was like he had perfect timing on the dunks where he trew it off stuff cause the one where he threw the ball of the shock clock was perfect too. And jumping over all those kids was a good finishing touch.

Myree Bowden dunks were a lot less creative imo.

The three point contest was fun to watch too. The final between Luke Jackson & Terrence Woods(florida A&M). Woods jumper is crazy smooth.

4. 30 standing ver

Did they replay last year's one too? Man, I seen some of the highlights. To me, the best dunk was the windmill off the wall. I assume Espn just showed the best dunks. So Myree Bowden jumped over 1 guy. Did ya'll see this white guy Henry Bekkering jump over his friend like that, but did a windmill. I got the link from here, but looked for who gave it and couldn't find who posted it. But thanx man.
    http://www.streetball.spb.ru/vidz/video_clips.html

5. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Yeh the College dunk contest was almost better that the NBA's !Bowden is a sick dunker but I think Emmet won he dunked overa group of kids thats tight.

6. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

Myree Bowden is just amazing. I mean he almost hits his head on the rim, thats something that lebron james does, yet Lebron is 7 inches taller, at least or 6 or something. I saw the street clip, of the bekkering guy. I wondering if henry bekkering is any good at basketball, it would be a shame to see hops like that go to waste. He must be crazy athletic, its too bad no one has really ever heard of him, at least i haven't.

7. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeh the College dunk contest was almost better that the NBA's !Bowden is a sick dunker but I think Emmet won he dunked overa group of kids thats tight.</div>

I think the college Dunk & 3pt contest were much better. I mean J.Rich had a sick dunk in the NBA version but everything else was kind of boring. I like Fred Jones from his days as an oregan duck but lets be real hear. He won the dunk contest more or less because he made an accurate amount of dunks. He didnt pull off anything that was fun or creative imo. I mean having his friend throw him the rock from the stands was decent but nothing over the top. IIt seem like the college kids tried at least to be somewhat creative.

8. 30 standing ver

NCAA is more lenient with what they do with people and ball raqs. I remember the 2k1 NBA dunk contest someone (can't remember who) wanted to use a ball raq. But some guy just took the ball raq out. From then on, I guess they don't wanna risk a player getting hurt. But anyways, the best dunk over something was when Melvin Levett (misspelled) jumped over 3 ball raqs. That was crazy. As for Henry, I would hope he could atleast make or atleast be shown on a And1 series.

9. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Another thing I noticed was how the college kids took every opportunity to showboat. Even though they copied TO and Joe Horn's infamous touchdown celebrations (ball signing and cell phone), I thought it was cool to see the players show a little personality where at the college level sportsmanship is stressed.

10. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeh the College dunk contest was almost better that the NBA's !Bowden is a sick dunker but I think Emmet won he dunked overa group of kids thats tight.</div>

Almost better? I thought it was alot better, the NBA's wasn't anythign spectacular. Emmett deserved to win, he was the most creative and he did some crazy stuff. The funny thing was he just found out one of the other contestants was his cousin lol. But Bowden did have some serious hops but wasn't as creative.

11. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Yea, I got to see the end of it. I really liked Emmets off the wall dunk. That was sweet as hell. But, I think Bowden did get screwed. He had the initial idea of jumping over someone, than Emmet basically took it. And, personally, I think jumping over someone 6foot plus is a lil more impressive than jumping over little kids. That's just me though. But, yea, I thoroughly enjoyed this dunk contest. Unfortunately didn't get to see all of it or the 3 point shootout.

12. coolhandluke

coolhandluke JBB JustBBall Member

Man Emmett's off the wall dunk was sick, but Bowden still should have won. Emmet's last dunk was just a copy of Bowden's, but not as good. There was an amazing amount of skill though everyone brought out there best, and it was awsome to watch.

I was dispointed with Page too. After his first dunk he signed the ball, and then he didn't even make it into the finals. I think Page had an asome dunk up his sleave and was saving it for the finals, but he didn't make it in.

The three point shoot out was good to. There was some great compition, and it was just fun to watch.

13. 30 standing ver

It was good, but when u think about it. Alot of the dunks was some kinda of windmill. This is the most windmill dunks I ever seen in a dunk contest. The windmills were good, but I seen so much of them I had a harder time being ethuastic after they completed their dunks.

14. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I agree, a reason why I liked Bowden is that I found his finishes alot better than Emmett. Creativity goes to Emmett no doubt but Bowden was just throwing down emphatic slams and you could feel the rim shaking from sitting on the couch. I know his hops paid a part of that but nothing wrong with showing props to a guy that can leap that high and throw it down hard, thats as much a part of dunking as spinning, going through the legs, etc.

15. CUSA Fan

The comptetition was on from last year. For those of you who watched And1 Streetball this last season with Professor, did you all see Helicopter? Well hes none other than John Humphrey who played in the NCAA with Middle Tennessee State i think the college is. I'm not the only one who's noticed am i?

16. Kiwiballa

Kiwiballa JBB JustBBall Member

Even though Emmett was more creative Myree Bowden was by far a better dunker to watch. You will always have the advantage of dunking last. Myree Bowden is one of the best dunkers I've ever seen. V Carter, H Minor, M Bowden
    For the Myree Bowden movie go to streetballin.150m.com

17. 30 standing ver

What did Byron Parker do in last years DC. I heard he had 43 inches on the jump meter 3 times. But did they measure it when he dunked the ball? Or was it like this one where they measured it when they got to their highest point?

18. CUSA Fan

Yeah, Parker got it 3 times. I'm pretty sure they did it when the player was at their highest point. Last years was nice though, almost as good as this years.

Dre loves the kids.

19. NTC

NTC Active Member

Yeah Myree Bowden was off the hook, he really should've won, he was smaller than Andre Emmet and dunked over some one taller than himself, emmet just over some small kids

20. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

Naw Andre deserved it more. He jumped for a much farther distance and had to spread his feet apart to be able to dunk on ALL of them. It was very creative and GREAT style.