Sloan Conference

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rhal, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Its that time of year again where all the "stat geeks" get together and show us just how much we don't know about the game.
    You can find coverage of the event at http://www.sloansportsconference.com/ or ESPN.com/nba has a few articles out about it.
    I figured we could use a thread to discuss a few of the topics discussed and what we think about them.

2. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    I really like the idea behind tracking refs (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10529488/nba-tracking-referees-next-step-nba-analytics). While the NBA tracks everything the refs do they never release that information and seem to take very strong steps to protect the refs from any controversy by immediately fining or discrediting anyone talking bad about what is considered one of the biggest turn offs by many casual and die hard fans, and thats the idea that the league setups the refs to reward certain teams and players. With having more people not only watching but also tracking and writing papers based on tendency refs show we will have a more transparent view of how the 3 Zebras call and conduct themselves on the court, which is only fitting because they have as much impact on the game as the "superstars" playing.

3. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

When the NBA covered up the Donaghy stuff and then destroyed him, and continue to employ Scott Foster, you know that these refs have a bunch of secrets that the NBA can't trust them with if they fire the corrupt refs.

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I looked for how our players rank in the new stat of EPV. The list doesn't exist. Maybe this summer. It's all theory.

The stats underlying EPV are now being measured for all teams, so we'll have EPV rankings next season to discuss.

EPV is the points predicted to be produced by any frozen moment of time in each play. Player EPV is the same, sliced up by contribution of each player.

5. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    So its basically a much more complicated PPP

6. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    EPV uses the new stats being gathered league-wide for the first time this season. So it's supposed to be more actual and less estimate.

The articles don't disclose a formula, so I can't be specific. The PER formula was secret in its initial years, too.

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

IDK if this is from Sloan, but it's an analytical approach that looks cool.

[​IMG]

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

So essentially, Dame-Nic, and Dame-LA are the duos who pass most to each other on our team. I'm surprised how few exchanges are there involving Wes. I'd be interested in seeing what Mo's inclusion would do to the chart.

Also very interesting to compare Dame-LA, with Paul-Griffin, and Rubio-Love.

9. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Good find!

10. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I wish they also included which direction the passes are going. IE who is the biggest black hole in the NBA.

11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Hahaha, no one passes to Dalembert.