Slumps Happen

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by MAS RipCity, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

I've been a fan since I was five, which dates me back to the start of the glory that was the early 90's Blazers. Ever since I could remember, I've been a die-hard fan and have with my team through the good and through the bad.

Even some of our greatest teams experienced a bumpy ride over the course of 82 games ...

1989-90 || 59-23
    Lost 5 of 7 in February of 1990
    At the time of the last loss, Portland was 38-18. Rip City rebounded to go 21-5 the rest of the way en route to the franchise's second NBA Finals appearance.

1990-91 || 63-19
    Lost 8 of 11 during late February, early March of 1991
    Yes, the once untouchable 91 Blazers had a 23-day drought. The team squad that jumped out to a 19-1 start. The same team that ran off 16 straight games immediately after the stretch of losing. The same team that won a franchise-record 63 games.

1991-92 || 57-25
    Started 1-3, suffered 4 losses in 7 games during December of 91
    Portland was a pedestrian 15-10 to begin the season as the overwhelming favorite to represent the West in the 92 Finals. Well, although the ending wasn't to our liking, the Blazers still regrouped to win a respectable 57 games and secure the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference.

1998-99 || 35-15
    After starting 27-6, ended by losing 9 of their final 17 games
    One of my favorite teams I had the pleasure to watch growing up. No one saw this team coming and I'm sure they caught a lot of scouts and coaches by surprise. And when they floundered down the stretch, many probably felt like the Blazers were simply reverting back to the norm. Not so fast. Portland made quick work of the Suns and Jazz before making the Western Conference Finals. Had Sean Elliot not hit the luckiest shot in NBA history, maybe things go differently for that group.

1999-00 || 59-23
    Lost 10 of 19 during the spring of 2000
    We all know the story. Portland hosted rival Los Angeles at the Rose Garden on February 29th with both teams sporting a league-best 45-11 records. L.A. won 90-87 and Portland plummeted over the next five weeks losing 10 of their 19 games. While that "game that shall not be mentioned" occurred in early June, that Trail Blazers team was as close as any since '77 to bring a title back to the Rose City.

2000-01 || 50-32
    Ended the season losing 14 of 22 games
    The one instance where the slump got the better of the team. Portland went from being in first place in the West to finishing seventh and the spiral started on Clyde Drexler retirement night of all nights where the Blazers lost to the lowly Grizzlies.

2008-09 || 54-28
    Lost 8 of 14 during December of 2008
    What happened to the young Blazers after that slump? They took home W's in 10 of their next 13 games, became co-champions of the NW division, and earned Portland's first postseason berth in six seasons.

2013-14 || 54-28
    Lost 9 of 13 during the spring of 2014
    We all remember this. Portland was taking the league by storm by it all started to spiral out of control during the push for the postseason after a home loss to the Lakers on March 3rd. The struggles were compounded by a LaMarcus Aldridge injury in San Antonio a few games later and nothing really was the same until the L-Train returned. Portland regained their early season magic, won 9 of their final 10, and gave the city of roses their first postseason series victory in 14 years!

What's the takeaway?

It's an 82-game season and there will be plenty of highs and plenty of lows. Of the eight teams listed, only one squad (2000-01) succumbed to the struggles and were never able to rebound back to their early season forms. And while it's frustrating as hell this team has lost 7 of 9, it's nothing new to anyone who's watched their fair share of Trail Blazers basketball and it's better for the slump to take place during the Dog Days than late April. I'm not saying everything is going to be sunshine and rainbows, but let's wait and see how they perform when everyone's (reasonably) healthy before reaching for that panic button.

HailBlazers likes this.
  2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Batum's slump started in pre-season where he averaged 7.1 PPG on sub-40% shooting. But let's continue to blame his December fall.

Players are having slumps and the heavy workload is falling on LMA's shoulders.

3. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I think the offensive flow has taken a big step back this season. Part of that is Batum's slump and unwillingness to take open shots, but the ball isn't whipping around the perimeter like it did last year. I'm hoping that picks up as the season progresses, otherwise we've just traded good offense for good defense and maybe gotten marginally better once everyone is healthy.

What's more, this isn't a slump so much as it is a continuation of pretty poor play all season long against teams with winning records. Said lack of offensive flow has had me feeling most of the season like we aren't as good as the win-loss record, so the recent slip in the standings is disappointing but not surprising. We can throw big runs at the opponent and make any game close, but we're always using the indifferent first quarter to size them up and game plan for the rest of the way, while they're hitting us with traps and creating a big hole to dig out of. Each game is taking on a sense of deja vu.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

People tend to forget how important Rolo and Freeland are to the starting lineup. All the starters play better when they are in the rotation and the bench is better with Kaman and Leonard coming off it. Our lineups since Joel got injured have been OK but not dominant like they were earlier and I think when our two post guys get on the court and bench guys go back to the bench, we can dominate again. It won't be long. It is better to have a slump before the allstar break and a healthy full roster going into the post season. I think most fan meltdowns about slumps are just a sort of short term need for instant gratification. The big picture of an NBA season is more balanced.

5. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    A lot of those teams sucked. That's why they had skids. Show me a championship team that had skids like that.

6. Daweez04

Daweez04 Well-Known Member

Senior Buyer
    We have very different definitions of both "A lot" and "sucked". 5 of those teams were WCF teams, 2 of them to the finals. All playoff teams. Only team you could even remotely say "sucked" was the 00-01 team.

But to answer your question, Dallas lost 6 in a row and 10 of 13 from late December to late January. They also finished the regular season 4-4 in their last 8 games.

7. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Woah is me

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Huh? Sucked? Damn. a team that goes 70-12 is then simply mediocre to you?
    Sorry, dont have the time to do the research, but I bet most championship teams had a 10 game stretch where they went 5-5 or 4-6 or something. Basketball is a game of waves. individually per game as well as throughout the season.

Those teams above didnt suck, they were legit contenders. I am sorry, but if it werent for Jordan (Soooo many players can say this, Barkley, Ewing, even Houstons roster back in the day never won with Hakeem until Jordan retired) Portland would have two championships.. For anyone who thinks this is our year and its falling apart... well, your short timers. almost all championship teams take time to work out the kinks. and had years where their core was together. This team is young and needs 1-3 more years, but with the ride 9th player and a bit more development. I think we could truly be a year in year out contender for the next decade, much like the Spurs.

I found this to be a great thread as a reminder that we shouldnt be flipping out. stay the course. remain steady in our resolve and things will pan out

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

That was going to be my example.

10. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    The 2010/11 Mavs lost 10/13 as was mentioned.

1994/5 Houston Rockets lost 8/11 on two separate occasions.

2003/4 Detroit Pistons lost 7/9 & 8/9 on separate occasions.

1977/8 Washinton Bullets lost 14/20, and 4/5 on FIVE seperate occasions.

1978/9 Seattle Super Sonics had 6 game losing streak and lost 9/12 on seperate occasions.

Edit: 1976/7 Blazers lost 7/9 & 6/9 on seperate occasions.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Nice job!

12. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is, "Learn the game then post!"?

P.S. Just some good-natured ribbing jinxspeed!

13. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

This team can get it together. I think if everything was just so, the have the right framework to make a run. I just don't think they have enough. Look at the amount of resources LA, Dame, won't say Nic because to me he has spent the entire loafing. But those other two are putting out a ton just to keep the team from falling off.

They ain't going to have enough in the tank. Just last year and the year before. This is a really, REALLY slow reacting GM and regime. Either that or it's by design.

Team needs more. Period.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This team needs Rolo and Freeland back

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. OneLifeToLive

They would help. But let's not forget the drop off the team had last year WITH those two active and playing.

Team could use a player or two that can score and create their own shots. They don't have enough of those on this team which I believe is the cause of a coach not making much in adjustments offensively. The players are able to do what they are able to do. If you stop that. You stop the Blazers.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

According to Schuman stats, no team comes close to our 13 wins after being down double digits...that's a coach making adjustments

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

There really is two sides of a coin to that. Yeah Stotts makes adjustments no denying that and we have come back from huge deficits, but it is starting to get alarming that were always down big early on in the game. Does Stotts just tell the guys to take the first half off than expend double the energy to comeback and win? I've said it a million times and I'll say a million more times keep on doing that especially in the playoffs against a team that plays defense and offense (the spurs) and they'll get that lead early and keep it all the way through much like last year.

18. OneLifeToLive

I was just going to say is it adjustments or is it a team that turns it off and on at will. Not to be negative, I feel they play with the game. ESPECIALLY at home.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

There's no doubt Stotts is a players coach. He has a system that trusts his starters to make in game decisions. He doesn't make them make mistakes so I don't fault the coach for losing the lions share of our losses. That's just the players making bad passes, turning the ball over, bricking layups or freethrows or missing from range.

20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    I've been pointing to that in the sky is falling game thread. Dallas totally collapsed in season and won the title.