So is it a fracture or not?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tlongII, Oct 30, 2008.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I've been searching the Net and everything I've read states that an avulsion is a fracture. It also indicates that the typical recovery time is 4-6 weeks. What exactly IS the injury that Oden has?

2. BlazerFanForLife

BlazerFanForLife Member

As far as i can discren its a normal sprained ankle. The Avulsion part doesnt call for any different type of treatment so it may even be possible that most sprains are of this nature they are just not diagnosed since most ppl dont get MRI's on sprains.

3. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

I had an avulsion fracture with the anterior tibio-fibular ligament. I remember it was very painful 12 hours after I did it. It showed up on x-ray. Mine may have been more severe. I don't think I was even back to walking without the boot for like 2 weeks. We are probably going to have to be patient with Greg. I would expect him to be in game shape by January maybe?? We are just going to have to figure that this is Greg's break-in year. Sucks.

4. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I think it's a fracture. An avulsion can be either. All avulsion means is that something was torn away. I thought I heard KP say last night that his bone was torn away. If that's the case he has small fractures, like I had. It can also mean the ligament was torn away, which would actually be a little worse. It took me 2 weeks to be able to resume football, but missed no time in hockey (it hurt like hell though) I was better in about 4 weeks.

Avulsion is just a term though. Every time you rip a scab off of a sore you have an avulsion.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Sounds like you had ligament damage too, that sucks

6. Cake

Cake Member

According to Truehoop...

"The "avulsions" mentioned are basically chip fractures that occur when ligaments tear and pull a little piece of bone (to which they attach) away.

In the big scheme of things they are not serious."

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I hadn't read the article in the Oregonian when I started this thread. Now that I have I see that it is indeed small fractures. Sounds scary, but in reality I don't think it's too bad.

8. Bosco

Bosco Member

Yeah... just the word scares me.... I really don't want to think of Oden as "brittle" but ..... *sigh*

9. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Yeah I think so. I didn't need surgery and fully recovered without physical therapy. That was two years ago. I did the same thing as Oden in the first 30 seconds of the game. Jogged it off and played my best game ever while injured. We came back from 15 down -- I hit a free throw to the the lead for the first time with 3 seconds left. Other team takes a time out, freakin' baseball pass to the 3 point line -- i didn't want to foul and some tool lofts a hook shot from the 3 point line -- nothing but net. Are you kidding me?