Sorry for the Genuine Chelsea fan?

Discussion in 'England' started by reven, Nov 2, 2006.

1. reven

reven DYC Squad Backup player

Okay maybe an oxymoron to start off with BUT to have waited so long to win the title, I think the manner in which they have done it must really dissappoint the genuine fan.

You look at Manchester United and Arsenal, who have more or less been the dominators of the League for the past decade and they did it through hard graft, the respective managers building a team for years, playing entertaining football. The supporters must have felt such a greater sense of satisfaction.

Chelsea meanwhile were bought out by a billionaire, spent god knows how many million on the team, and made a mockery of the game. Mind you they still can't win anything in Europe where they seem to lack bottle in the final stages, but you can't buy balls of steel - that's something a team earns.

Look at Liverpool in there Champions League winning season, not the greatest side but they had the courage and desire. Look at Arsenal last season...

How much satisfaction can a genuine chelsea fan actually be getting out of this period in the club? A serious question.

Without doubt does it seem a big joke to other clubs as you've only bought success = big deal.

Are there any fans who would have preferred to have waited an extra ten years BUT done it the right way?

2. dycdan

dycdan DYC please wait...

We can't help the fact that they we've all this money so why shouldn't we feel the satisfaction at our clubs successes? We all know that in the same position you'd be f**king delighted.

3. krustie

krustie DYC 1st team Reserves

Chelsea fans are living the football fans ultimate wet dream at the moment. I don't have a problem with that.

But as easily as they got this success, a single bullet from a sniper could take it away from them. [​IMG]

4. b0o

b0o DYC Squad Backup player

I think part of the problem is where the money came from.

If a local billionaire, who was a life-long club supporter, turned up at your club and said he was retiring from business and wanted to put large amounts of cash into the club he loved, wouldn't supporters welcome him?

5. dycdan

I know a few Chelsea fans who've been supporting the club since the 80s, and they don't give a sh*t if they're buying success.

Fact is, us Chelsea fans think of this new Abramovich era as a reward for putting up with dross for 20 years.

Say you support Gillingham, if some mega-rich bloke bought 'you' and bankrolled your march into the premiership, You would love every minute? yes. The whining of jealous rival fans would be very small price to pay, agree? yes again.

Sorry for Chelsea fans? my fewking arse.

6. fatfrank

fatfrank DYC 1st team Reserves

There is a good point made here.

Growing up where I have, most of my mates are Chelsea fans.

I remember the day after they won their first title, driving through Morden and talking to two brothers who are chelsea fans.

I said I was really happy for them, because I remember going round their house when they had pictures of Dmitri Kharine et al on their wall from Shoot! magazine.

In other words, they were there when Chelsea were well sh*t.

Problem is, when I talk to them now they are happy about the success, but they admit that it's a weird time to be a Chelsea fan. They have bolstered their squad buying Shevchenko for an enormous amount, paying high wages for Ballack, and paying Man U millions for Mikel, who has never kicked a ball for Man U.
    The money is starting to lose any reality, and they are increasingly finding they have to justify their success.

But then again, maybe the justification of success comes with the territory of anything more than fleeting glory.

As a Fulham fan, I wouldn't know.

7. dycdan

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Are there any fans who would have preferred to have waited an extra ten years BUT done it the right way?</div>You forget Chelsea was in 80+ MILLION in debt. [​IMG]

So taking that into account, 10 years on they could of been in the Championship or worst!

Basically it's the only way we could have won the premiership, maybe even stayed in the premiership. If we have to pay the price of no 'respect' from other fans, most chelsea fans don't really care that much. Anyway it's not as if we were lauded as a respectable club before roman came along.