Sources:Lawton has tested positive

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rex Grossman 8, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Rex Grossman 8

Rex Grossman 8 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- Former All-Star outfielder Matt Lawton was suspended Wednesday for a positive steroids test, becoming the 12th player penalized for violating major league baseball's policy. Lawton, acquired by the Yankees from the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 27 and then left off New York's postseason roster, became a free agent last Thursday. He will serve a 10-day suspension at the start of next season. ``I made a terrible and foolish mistake that I will regret for the rest of my life,'' Lawton said in a statement that he read over the telephone to The Associated Press. ``I take full responsibility for my actions and did not appeal my suspension. I apologize to the fans, the game, my family and all those people that I let down. I am truly sorry and deeply regret my terrible lapse in judgment.'' Lawton said the positive test occurred after he was acquired by the Yankees but did not answer other questions. The substance he tested positive for was boldenone, a person familiar with the tests results said, speaking on condition of anonymity because drug-test results in baseball are supposed to remain secret. ``It's a veterinary steroid. I think it's primarily used in horses,'' said Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor of sports medicine at New York University and an expert on performance-enhancing drugs. ``It's used like any other anabolic steroid. It's basically injectable.'' When baseball conducted anonymous survey testing in 2003, there were five positive tests for boldenone, baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred said earlier this year. Paralympic powerlifter Darrell Tyrone Banks was suspended for two years last November by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency following a positive test for boldenone. Wadler said the steroid also was available under the name equipoise. An All-Star with Minnesota in 2000 and Cleveland in 2004, Lawton hit a combined .254 with 13 homers and 53 RBIs this season for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Cubs and Yankees. He turns 34 this month. With the Yankees, he batted .125 (6-for-48) with two homers and four RBIs, hitting a two-run homer in a 2-1 victory over Baltimore on Sept. 21. Lawton has a .267 career average with 138 homers, 165 steals and 630 RBIs in 11 major league seasons. His positive test was the third announced by the commissioner's office since the end of the regular season, following those of Texas pitcher Carlos Almanzar and New York Mets pitcher Felix Heredia. Players and owners, under pressure from congressmen, are attempting to negotiate a new steroids agreement with harsher penalties. Under legislation proposed Tuesday by Sens. Jim Bunning and John McCain, a first positive test would result in a two-year suspension. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig proposed in April that an initial positive for steroids result in a 50-game suspension.

2. ortiz34

ortiz34 BBW Member

Do these baseball players not get it? IT'S CHEATING!

3. bravest

bravest BBW Member

It could be left over from past seasons; I know that that's what happened with Mike Morse - shortstop for Seattle - when he took steroids trying to bounce back from an injury.I had faith in Lawton, but it's pretty much gone now. [​IMG]

4. ortiz34

ortiz34 BBW Member

Now that I notice it, isn't it funny that all these no-namers or non-superstars are being tested positive?

5. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

Matt Lawton isnt exactly a no-namer, he is a solid player in the MLB but he will never be a Raffy Palmeiro or anybody like that.

6. bravest

bravest BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ortiz34 @ Nov 3 2005, 07:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Now that I notice it, isn't it funny that all these no-namers or non-superstars are being tested positive?</div> Yeah, but there's generally more minor leaguers than there are major leaguers, so it kind of balances out I guess. Still, though, seeing an aging prospect that would die to play in the big leagues test positive for steroids isn't exactly what you like to see when you read the paper. [​IMG]