Speedy Will Be Honored Tonight In S.A

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by mike18946, Nov 18, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla...1086225&xld=211

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You can send another thank you to Speedy Claxton tonight at the SBC Center.You remember Speedy. He's one of the reserves who helped haul the Spurs through the postseason to the title last season.

He'll be back in the spotlight tonight when the Spurs slip a championship ring on the finger of one of the speedy one's quick hands.

"I'm looking forward to it," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He was a key member of that team. We wouldn't have our second title if he weren't there."

Unfortunately, perhaps, for San Antonio, Claxton will be wearing a Golden State Warriors uniform when the game tips off at 7:30.

"It's going to be a great night," Claxton said Monday afternoon at the SBC Center. "It will be nice to see the ring up close. I watched the last ceremony on television."

Claxton also might get the chance to go head to head against Tony Parker right from the tip. Nick Van Exel, nursing a sore left knee, did not practice Monday and is questionable for the game.

"I kind of doubt that he will play," Warriors coach Eric Musselman said. Van Exel received treatment Monday and will test the knee today.

Van Exel sat out Sunday night against Sacramento and Claxton contributed 31 minutes, six points and seven assists.

"It's going to be a lot of fun playing against some old friends," Claxton added.

The guard's most memorable night in a Spurs uniform came during Game 6 of the NBA Finals against New Jersey.

Parker again was struggling and Claxton came off the bench with 5:23 left in the third period. He played the final 17 minutes and put down two of his three shots in the final period.

During the 23 minutes he played in the game, he had 13 points, four assists and a blocked shot.

The exuberant Claxton admitted later that he never figured he would play such a key role. Now he notes, "I'll never forget that game. It was a great feeling."

Most expected Claxton to return to the San Antonio fold but a quirk of timing interrupted.

Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington via free agency and the Warriors quickly offered Claxton a three-year, $10 million deal.

Still, the Spurs could match. Or could they?

Speedy had an 11th hour talk with Popovich and wound up heading for Golden State.

A source familiar with the situation said the Spurs were between a rock and a hard place. They were faced with the problem of paying three key free agents, Claxton, Stephen Jackson and Rasho Nesterovic while trying to stay in position to meet Manu Ginobili's demands this coming summer.

The bottom line: The team couldn't deal out the long-term guaranteed money to all three and, at the time, they were still hoping to land Jackson.

The source said the Spurs outlined the situation to the young point guard and advised him to take the offer from Golden State.

If the team had known about Jackson's coming refusal to sign with the Spurs, Claxton would be with San Antonio today.

But Claxton at least went to the Warriors with one saving grace — he would be a starting point guard, a paramount ambition.

Van Exel, of course, was the Golden State target, a bona fide starting point guard.

"Yeah, I was disappointed," Claxton said. "But I'm fine with it now. It was a decision that they had to make."

Van Exel can be with the Warriors for at least two years, earning $10.9 million this season and $11 million the next. A third season for $12 million is at the team's option.

"We have a good team here. When we're all healthy, we can make a run at the remaining playoff slots," he predicted.

The 5-foot-11 guard knows what he and his mates will be up against tonight.

"They have a powerhouse over there. They are a contender, year in and year out. I think they can repeat," he says.
    </div>

One thing is for sure Speedy is a class act and I will give him a standing ovation tonight.

2. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">

One thing is for sure Speedy is a class act and I will give him a standing ovation tonight.</div>You are going to be at the game?!

Good for Speedy. I hope he shines in his return to SA, more importantly, I hope the Warriors shine.[​IMG]

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

That is correct yes,With NVE out he will get quite alot of minutes and I'm sure he will want to prove a point to his old team-mates.

4. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">That is correct yes,With NVE out he will get quite alot of minutes and I'm sure he will want to prove a point to his old team-mates.</div>Take pictures! [​IMG]

And GO WARRIORS!!!![​IMG]

5. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

He got his ring...He did ok though,dished the ball but didn't stand out.Parker stole the show.