OT Spiritual or Religious Experiences?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Stevenson, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    I for one am already tired of debating Trump, and I bet you are too, no matter what side you are on.

Last week, while watching the latest political news, the wife and I couldn't take it anymore and started flipping around and ended up on this great program hosted by Morgan Freeman, called The Story of God. Really interesting - how different religions and regions and people try and reach God.

Have any of you had spiritual or religious experiences (call it what you will)? I have had a few.

One amazing one involved my sweet dad, who died suddenly in 1979 when I was 20 and he was 50. The week before he died, dad went skiing at Heavenly Valley. He came home, had a sudden heart attack a few days later and was gone. Several months later we developed the film in his camera. One was incredible. There was a picture of dad from that ski trip, in front of a sign for the resort. Except that a shaft of light from the sun overexposed part of the sign. So there it was, 5 days before he died:

A picture of dad with a shaft light from above going straight into his head and the word "Heaven" behind him.

That gives me comfort to this day.

(I also had some truly cosmic experiences at Grateful Dead concerts, but maybe those are stories for a different day :) )

2. GriLtCheeZ

GriLtCheeZ "Well, I'm not lookin' for trouble."

Gleaming the Cubicle
    I don't believe in anything supernatural. I believe that people will find "signs" to confirm their beliefs if they are looking for them. That being said, my dad who died about 4 years ago, and who wasn't religious, swore up and down that he saw an angel once.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

I had a religious experience once many years ago.

I was on Highway 14 going home to my place in West Vancouver, where I lived at the time, from the East side of town. As I was approaching Pearson Airfield on my right, I suddenly had a feeling like I HAD to visit a large Catholic church in downtown Vancouver.

It was overwhelming. I never thought much of the place, other than I thought it was beautiful. But I wasn't raised Catholic, and I hadn't been in a church of any sort in years. And I had never been in this church.

Something was drawing me to this church, so without even thinking about it, I skipped my usual exit to I-5 and instead took the City Center exit. I went in to downtown, found the church, and parked out front.

I first tried the front doors, which were locked, then tried a side gate, which was locked with a small pad-lock. I then tried some entrances on the East side of the church, but they were locked too.

But...as I came back around to the front of the church, I noticed that the gate was unlocked. I swear it wasn't just a minute before. I actually pulled on that lock, and it wouldn't budge.

So I opened the gate and walked into a courtyard, where there was a small garden and bell, as well as another entrance. I tried that entrance, and it was unlocked. So I went inside.

I looked around inside, and there was nobody there. Not one person. No priest, no other worshipers....nobody.

I prayed for probably an hour, and it was slightly emotional as well. I thought about a lot of things; and prayed for guidance for many personal issues.

When I was done, I left the church. And as I stepped out of the unlocked gate....no joke....a ray of sun broke through the clouds and lit the entire church, and myself, up in sunlight. Just the church, and just that block of Downtown.

I actually stood and stared up at the clouds for a while, and I felt strangely at peace. Then I left and went home.

I've been back there a couple of times, and it's since become my favorite church.

I don't know if it was religious, but it sure was spiritual.

4. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I wouldn't say religious, but when falling in love, there are moments that seem so blissful, so perfect, they seem to set the whole world in line. I've had overpowering experiences visiting a Concentration Camp in Germany, I've had moving times with dying loved ones, but nothing quite stacks up to the wave that comes over while falling in love.

crandc, riverman and Jade Falcon like this.
  5. Jesus Christ Son of God

Jesus Christ Son of God Well-Known Member

6. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Every time I watch the Blazers play I feel like I'm in purgatory.

Chris Craig and Jade Falcon like this.
  7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Fake news.

8. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Would have been funnier if you said no

Dougnsalem and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

[​IMG]

10. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

If you mean in the Pulp Fiction, "I can't explain it rationally but something just happened", multiple.

If you mean "seeing a supernatural thing", no.

[​IMG]

PtldPlatypus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  11. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

my mom said when she was preg with me she went white water rafting. it was early in pregnancy before anyone says shit. i guess she went under and started to drown. she said she saw a bright light and saw her mom who was dead coaxing her to come toward her. she then said she heard a voice asking are you ready? she said she responded no because she was pregnant and she woke up receiving CPR next to the river.

it wouldnt surprise me that god wanted me on the earth, im pretty fucking incredible.

HailBlazers likes this.
  12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Or maybe your dad is a river eel.

[​IMG]

rasheedfan2005 and riverman like this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I have many spiritual experiences all throughout life and the one common thread is I don't question them or debate them when they happen. Shutting off the internal dialogue and just breathing is pretty enlightening. Whenever I play music and there's no hesitation or struggle...it's pretty spiritual..I love going to cathedrals and temples and listening to the music...that was the biggest draw for me....music and harmony bring out the good in things...I think that's what people organize religions to experience together some common bliss.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. rasheedfan2005

if you're looking for say seeing signs ect. id say no. but when i sit back and meditate on life i tend to see god in everything. i', convinced the fibonacci formula is god's signature. it's found every where.

ol pastor mike is long winded but he really researches and thinks about stuff before presenting. i've always loved the work he does.

15. rasheedfan2005

hmm i see the resemblance actually. his head actually looks like my dick. same eyes.

Sedatedfork likes this.
  16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

The Lord spawns in mysterious ways.

17. rasheedfan2005

you dont have to call me lord. i know im your hero and all but im too humble for such a title.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My son collected those comics back in the day
    spawn.jpg

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

a dog will call you master for the price of a bowl of dry dogfood

20. rasheedfan2005

sly isnt cheap he wants whips and fuzzy paw cuffs to call me master

riverman likes this.