Sporting News Blazers Preview

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by GrandpaBlaze, Oct 20, 2008.

1. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Hmmm, I don't necessarily consider Conley a top quality PG.

The complete article can be found here

Gramps...

2. Piltzer

Piltzer The Intern

Unpaid Office Suport Intern
    I can really see only three or four teams in contention in the West with a top point guard. The Suns with Nash, the Spurs with Parker, the Jazz with Williams, and the Hornets with Paul. Makes me feel a little more secure about the Blazers situation.

Sure a few other teams have good point guards, the Clips with Davis are very strong in that position. But those teams feel incomplete in other places.

Also teams with players like Kobe, Tracy, and Roy don't require there Point Guards to be all-world so to speak because they dominate the ball so much and are fairly good distributors themselves.

3. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I really like Conley, just not as much as I do Bayless.

If Conley is a "top-flight PG" he sure hasn't shown it. He does have a lot of potential though.

Also, maybe Bayless could play the Vinnie Johnson role on this team when we're making our runs while Conley runs the show. Possibilities possibilities......

4. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

In all fairness I don't think "top level" point guard implies all-world, and it remains to be seen if our long term solution to that position is currently on the roster or not. In any case, I'm not sure Conley is the solution and I'm not sure why Memphis would even be looking to move him ... unless of course we have players that they covet (Frye, Martell, Travis)?

Whatever others might think about our long term situation, in order for this team to succeed this year, Steve Blake needs to considerably elevate his game above the "adequate" level (being able to get dribble drive penetration, or finishing at the rack are skills in particular that he must improve on) if this team is going to be successful.

5. gatorpops

gatorpops Allen Crabb hits winning shot on Nov24 vs Blazers

Honey-Do's

I agree with this completly. Bayless is going to be very good at D as a PG, and if you have a Big like Oden in the C spot you need to have a PG that can distribute well. Blake and Sergio can do that. Sepecially Blake. And we have Roy who is better than most Pgs in the league. Boston did not have a steller PG and won it all. Generalizations by these writers iritate me a lot.

g

6. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I agree with you on Blake, Nik, but I also think that even if all he does is stay "adequate" he has a spot on the team for a while...until/if Sergio takes the backup PG job away from him (if Bayless ends up starting).

As far as Conley goes, I'm already a homer of his, though I understand to many that's not the case. However, Memphis has 3 PGs they think are pretty good, and just like I advocate sending Travis (and to a lesser extent, Bayless) away to get a valuable piece in a position of need by using those who may not get as many minutes, I think Memphis would like to relieve their swollen PG situation by picking up pieces in other places.

That last sentence seems convoluted now. Sorry.

7. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I seem to remember a PG by the name of Avery Johnson leading his team to the finals and helping them win :dunno:

What about BJ Armstrong? Kenny Smith? Derek Fisher?

Steve blake is just fine

8. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    The article made it out like Bayless was our end all for making the playoffs, like we're hinging on the guy a great deal. Right now, Bayless is our 11th man. Does the guy not think much about Roy, Aldridge, Oden and Rudy?

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

neither did the other team in the finals

I always take these preseason mag predictions with a grain of salt knowing that they drive overall sales by hyping the biggest markets which Portland is anything but. Put Portland's roster in NY and every other rag would be predicting a finals appearance.

...and Hubie Brown :lol:

STOMP