Spurs 87 @ Cavaliers 89

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by redscoon, Feb 19, 2004.

1. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

Spurs @ Cavaliers 2/20 @ 7:30

<div align="center">[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] </div>

<div align="center"><font color="Black">San Antonio Spurs</font> (36-18) @ <font color="Sienna">Cleveland Cavaliers</font> (20-34)</div>

Friday, Feb. 20, 7:30 pm Eastern
    Gund Arena, Cleveland, OH
    TV: FSOhio

Vegas Line: Check back gameday

Season Series: Cavaliers 0, Spurs 0
    First Meeting

Last 10 Games
    Cleveland: 4-6 (Lost 2)
    San Antonio: 7-3 (Won 6)

Previous Game
    Mavericks 114 @ Cavaliers 98
    Spurs 86 @ Raptors 82

Head Coaches
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Paul Silas/Greg Popovich

Probable Starters
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Jeff McInnis/Tony Parker
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Lebron James/Bruce Bowen
    [​IMG] [​IMG]" target="_blank">http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu.jpg"></a> Eric Williams/Hedo Turkoglu
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Carlos Boozer/Tim Duncan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Zydrunas Ilgauskas/Rasho Nesterovic
    6th Men
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Dajuan Wagner/Manu Ginobili

Injury Update

Cavaliers
    Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
    DeSagana Diop - out (ankle)

Spurs
    Jason Hart
    Sean Marks
    Alex Garcia

<div align="center">Players to Watch</div>
    <div align="center">[​IMG][​IMG] </div>
    <div align="center">Lebron James/Tim Duncan</div>

<div align="center">James: 20.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 1.48 steals</div>
    <div align="center">Duncan: 23.1 points, 13.0 rebounds, 3.2 assitsts, 2.72 blocks</div>

Keys To The Game
    <u>Cavaliers</u>
    Guard the 3 point line (Bowen, Ginobili especially)
    Keep Duncan and Nesterovic off the offensive glass
    Keep Parker and Ginobili from getting to the rim
    Contain Duncan as much as possible (make him work for it, nothing easy, double team)
    Get out and run
    Take the ball to the hoop strong
    Don't turn the ball over

<u>Spurs</u>
    Feed Duncan
    Attack Lebron on the offensive end. Make him exert himself on both ends
    Keep Boozer and Z off the glass
    Don't let Z get good post position
    Play zone. Make the Cavs beat you from the outside
    Work the inside-out game with Duncan and your perimeter shooters

redscoon's Take:
    The Spurs aren't an up and down team like the Nets and Mavs, so that is a positive for us. However, Duncan is nearly unstoppable and Boozer is going to need all the help he can get to keep him from going off. Bowen is deadly from beyond the arc, so I look for him to have a big game with the Cavs already being a poor perimter defensive team, and Duncan demanding a lot of our attention down low. This should provide the Spurs with plenty of open looks from outside. If Z can have a good game against Nesterovic and Lebron snaps out of his little doldrum, I look for the Cavs to keep it close. In order to win they'll need another option to step up and help carry the load in the half court game (Williams, Wagner?).

Spurs are on a roll and we are headed in the opposite direction.

Spurs by 8.

<font size="1">Please visit NBA.com</font>

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Well, I have mentioned Boozer's defense in a few threads, and Duncan is the type of player he does not want to face. The Cavs must double Duncan every time he touches the basketball, bottom line.

James will get a lot of Bowen in this one, right from the opening tip till the game is over in fact. Wagner, McInnis, Ilgauskas, will all have to step up if the Cavs want to have a shot at this one.

The Spurs offense is not pretty, their defense is great, they turn the ball over, they also force turnovers, they miss freethrows....we will have to take advantage by not turning the ball over, making our freethrows, and as said before, sending 2 guys at Duncan and keeping him in front of you.

Spurs by 7 I'll call.

3. Skywzrd

Skywzrd JBB JustBBall Member

I'm so tempted to pick the Cavaliers, but I won't. This just isn't a team they should be expected to beat, but the Spurs aren't an up tempo team like Dallas, so the Cavaliers might be able to hang somewhat close. Before their recent slump, the Cavaliers did beat Detroit on the road, and they almost beat the Lakers at home. They're going to snap out of this slump sooner or later, but it probably won't be against Tim Duncan.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

The bad news for the Cavs

Tim Duncan is playing like a true MVP, no one is coming close to be stopping him on the inside. Bruce Bowen will make Lebron James's night a living hell. He will stick to him like glue, won't let him get any easy shots at the basket the whole game. Players get frustrated by Bowen's type of defense and so will Lebron.

It should be a Spurs win by double fiqures but the way they played the other night in Toronto, It's very possible a fast paced team like the Cavs will keep it close.

5. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

Spurs looking to go 6-0 on their seven game oad trip so far, and Duncan has definitely been playing great. Mr. Fourth Quarter (Ginobili) will no doubt have a major influence late in the game, and Parker needs to bounce back from his zero scoring night against the Raptors.

Lately, the Spurs have been making their free throws, and that might be the real key to this game. Spurs by 9.

6. Carter#15

Carter#15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Bruce Bowen will make Lebron James's night a living hell. He will stick to him like glue, won't let him get any easy shots at the basket the whole game. Players get frustrated by Bowen's type of defense and so will Lebron.</div>
    I hope that Bowen won't kick - link. Spurs are on 6-0 run, but i think that Boozer will stop Duncan. It will be close game, but IMO Cavs will win by 2 after OT. [​IMG]

7. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

I'll call a close one, just because the Raptors almost stole one from the Spurs. Spurs by 7.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Carter#15:</div><div class="quote_post">I hope that Bowen won't kick - link. Spurs are on 6-0 run, but i think that Boozer will stop Duncan. It will be close game, but IMO Cavs will win by 2 after OT. [​IMG]</div>

I've seen that play and I don't think Bowen did do that to Vince, as soon as they shot went up he had to move his body and was looking at the basket the whole time. Wasn't his fault

As for Boozer stopping Duncan? please...No one stop Duncan

9. kingmelo15

kingmelo15 JBB JustBBall Member

Silas said hes gonna be resting Bron more cuz hes getting tired. I mean Bron has played the equivalent of 2 high school season already. Hopefully Boozer can pick up the slack & show his team MVP status to at least make the game competative.

10. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Don't can see the Cavs take this game either, Spurs by 11

11. Carter#15

Carter#15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">I've seen that play and I don't think Bowen did do that to Vince, as soon as they shot went up he had to move his body and was looking at the basket the whole time. Wasn't his fault</div>
    It's not VC. It is Wally Szczerbiak. That play was 2-3 years ago.

12. coolhandluke

coolhandluke JBB JustBBall Member

If Boozer can handle Duncan down low the Cav's have a chance, but Duncan a talented player. I say Spurs by 5.

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Carter#15:</div><div class="quote_post">It's not VC. It is Wally Szczerbiak. That play was 2-3 years ago.</div>

Why bring up something from 3 years ago? totally pointless.

14. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kingmelo15:</div><div class="quote_post">Silas said hes gonna be resting Bron more cuz hes getting tired. I mean Bron has played the equivalent of 2 high school season already. Hopefully Boozer can pick up the slack & show his team MVP status to at least make the game competative.</div>

What are you nuts? Can this Boozer MVP ****, you know he is not a good defender and that Duncan will own him any time he wants.

Stop making me go against my boy, you got mt PM, next time I won't be as nice.

15. DajuanWagner#2

DajuanWagner#2 JBB JustBBall Member

Silas just seeking a victory

Silas just seeking a victory

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">``We've got to go with what we've got and the guys just have to step up and give me more,'' Silas said. ``It's not going to be easy. But we really need a few wins in this upcoming stretch.''

If it is ever going to happen against San Antonio, it could be now.
    The Spurs are on the sixth game of a seven-game road trip and haven't played a home game in the month of February.

Of course, they've won all five games on the trek and six in a row overall. They also present a series of matchup problems for the Cavaliers, the No. 1 being Tim Duncan, who happens to be the best power forward in the NBA.

Duncan is averaging 23.1 points, 13.0 rebounds, 3.2 assists, and 2.7 blocks per game.

``If I could say it in one word, he's incredible,'' said Carlos Boozer, one of the Cavaliers who will be asked to contain Duncan. ``He's a two-time MVP and has two championship rings. What else needs to be said?''</div>

Full story

16. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

San Antonio is way too good of a team, and Duncan is just way too much for the Cavs to handle. Duncan will have a 30-15 game tonight leading his team in victory by 12.

17. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Nice preview, but if you want my honest opinion..here it is...This game will be an ugly one if your a Cavs fan...I have a gut feeling Duncan will light it up tonight and pass it around to all his teammates, i am calling the Spurs by atleast 10

18. West Remy

West Remy JBB JustBBall Member

I expect 20-20 from Duncan. If he brings his teammates along for a good night, it will be a nasty Cavaliers defeat. But if his teammates are ice cold, the Cavaliers steal the game, after a harsh 3rd quarter (in which near all hope is lost).

19. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Welcome aboard Remy.

20. West Remy

West Remy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr_Infante:</div><div class="quote_post">Welcome aboard Remy.</div>

Thanks for the welcome. This is a nice site here. I'll have fun here.