Spurs 94, Warriors 81

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by sunsfan1357, Nov 18, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

Sometimes I don't get what's with this team. They have all their main players healthy (except for Murphy), but they didn't play as good as they do when people are injured. Maybe the players reach a certain comfort level to where they think they can slack off a little knowing that the other players are back to pick it up or something. Granted, the Spurs are a very good defense team so that is cause for some of the lack of offense. The scoring was pretty evenly distributed in this game too, but with Jamison and Arenas gone they need someone to pick up the role as leader on the offensive end. JRich should, by now, be able to find ways to score when the team needs it or atleast get others going. It isn't going to get any easier with the Rockets coming up next, but hopefully they can finally manage to pull off a win against these quality teams.

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Warriors were in the game at 72-67..but Horry hit a big three..Bowen got a steal and put it in...And it was suddenly 10 again..Parker hit a few big threes also..That was the difference.

10-17 threes for S.A...great shooting which what did it.

3. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">Sometimes I don't get what's with this team. They have all their main players healthy (except for Murphy), but they didn't play as good as they do when people are injured. Maybe the players reach a certain comfort level to where they think they can slack off a little knowing that the other players are back to pick it up or something. Granted, the Spurs are a very good defense team so that is cause for some of the lack of offense. The scoring was pretty evenly distributed in this game too, but with Jamison and Arenas gone they need someone to pick up the role as leader on the offensive end. JRich should, by now, be able to find ways to score when the team needs it or atleast get others going. It isn't going to get any easier with the Rockets coming up next, but hopefully they can finally manage to pull off a win against these quality teams.</div>

One of the main reasons that the Warriors didn't do well in this game was their lack of depth at the post positions. Who'd they have to guard Duncan? Basically, just Dampier and Robinson (Parks barely played, Cardinal guarded Malik Rose when he was in). If the Warriors were at full strength, they'd have Murphy, Foyle, and Popeye Jones to add depth to guard Duncan. The reason that the Spurs got so many 3's was because they were doubling Duncan (lack of depth- they didn't want their post players to get into foul trouble). Also, Van Exel was still nursing a bad knee. I guarantee that when the Warriors are back at full strength, their next game with teh Spurs will be a close contest and a fun one to watch.

4. sunsfan1357

Who can guard Duncan anyway? He'll get his 20 and 10 night in and night out, not much you can do about it. Having Foyle's shotblocking ability would be nice though (Jones wouldn't get much playing time behind Dampier, Foyle, Cardinal, and Murphy so I don't think he'd make much of a difference anyway). I don't think defense is the problem though. Their defense has been doing really well this season so far, it's their offense that has been struggling. Of course injuries will slow down the offense, but a healthy JRich shouldn't just take ten shots. They really need to find an identity on offense. Once the offense catches up to how the defense has played this season I think things will turn around.

5. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">Sometimes I don't get what's with this team. They have all their main players healthy (except for Murphy), .</div>I wasn't able to see the game so fill me in:

Did Foyle play?
    Did NVE play?
    Did Jones play?

6. sunsfan1357

Van Exel did play.

Don't know why people are considering Jones a major player when he probably won't get much playing time over Cardinal, Murhpy, Dampier, and Foyle.

Foyle didn't play.

However, what I meant by what I said was their main offensive threats. Unless Foyle became Tim Duncan he doesn't really make an impact on the offensive end. The Warriors have all their main threats healthy (except Murphy but I already said that) but can't put the ball in the basket consistently. They need someone like JRich to take charge, and taking only ten shots doesn't do that and won't keep the team in the game.

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">Van Exel did play.

However, what I meant by what I said was their main offensive threats. Unless Foyle became Tim Duncan he doesn't really make an impact on the offensive end. The Warriors have all their main threats healthy (except Murphy but I already said that) but can't put the ball in the basket consistently. They need someone like JRich to take charge, and taking only ten shots doesn't do that and won't keep the team in the game.</div>I don't think you understand Foyle's role on this Warriors team. He is in there for defensive purposes only. He is one of the best shot blockers in the game. Anything that he gives to the Warriors offensively is a plus. He is like Brian Cardinal, giving 100% on each play.

But I agree about J-Rich, he has to take more than 10 shots a game. He has to take the game over like he did against Sac.

8. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

well somebody has to take the shots...and IMHO, it should be J-Rich

9. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting InNETSweTrust:</div><div class="quote_post">well somebody has to take the shots...and IMHO, it should be J-Rich</div>Agreed. But they also have that crafty veteran in Nick Van Exel who has showed how clutch he can be when the game is on the line. Give it to J-Rich or NVE...let them decide the game.

10. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

[quote name='sunsfan1357']The Warriors have all their main threats healthy (except Murphy but I already said that)QUOTE]

Actually, no, they don't. Van Exel, even though he played, was on a gimpy knee the whole game. He wasn't able to take over offensively like he normally would be able to. Almost no NBA team would play well with 2 of their 3 best players not playing at full strength(or not playing at all), especially against the defending champion Spurs.

11. sunsfan1357

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think you understand Foyle's role on this Warriors team. He is in there for defensive purposes only. He is one of the best shot blockers in the game. Anything that he gives to the Warriors offensively is a plus. He is like Brian Cardinal, giving 100% on each play.

But I agree about J-Rich, he has to take more than 10 shots a game. He has to take the game over like he did against Sac.</div>

No I know Foyle's role on the team. I never said anything to the contrary of what his role is. Maybe my point didn't get across clearly. In the initial post I was talking about all the offensive threats on the Warriors being healthy with the exclusion of Murphy. That is why I didn't bother really to touch on Foyle until you asked if he played or not.

12. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">No I know Foyle's role on the team. I never said anything to the contrary of what his role is. Maybe my point didn't get across clearly. In the initial post I was talking about all the offensive threats on the Warriors being healthy with the exclusion of Murphy. That is why I didn't bother really to touch on Foyle until you asked if he played or not.</div>I understand you were talking about offense but there is much more to winning, to the game of basketball than offense. You said that the Warriors should have competed better since all of their OFFENSIVE starters are there except Murphy.

Firstly, NVE is still not healthy.

Second, you can't beat the Spurs without defense, just ask the Mavs.

13. sunsfan1357

Yes I know there is more than offense, however the Warriors defense has been adequate enough to the point where it is not really a worry. The offense is what has been sluggish to start the season. I realize that NVE isn't FULLY healthy, however like we have all agreed upon, that just means JRich should take charge even more.

14. Rudeezy

Yes you are right. J-Rich should be taking charge and he is making an effort to. This is the first season where he has been considered the "go-to-guy". He'll get better as time comes.