Rumor SPURS TO TRADE LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE TO PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS, DEMAR DEROZAN TO MIAMI HEAT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Phatguysrule, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

BigGameDamian and riverman like this.
  2. chris_in_pdx

chris_in_pdx OLD SCHOOL

This is all just speculation, there isn't one iota of real news here. Just a bunch of opinion.

TBpup, Eastoff, BonesJones and 2 others like this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think that the only way it would get done is if Whiteside bought into the idea of a sign-and-trade and was willing to take a 3 year deal with only the first year guaranteed. That way, the Spurs aren't committing any more money than they're already committing to LMA. Whiteside is never going to sniff another contract near $24 million again in his career, so getting an additional year at that rate could be enough incentive. Being a free agent this summer is going to suck, so this may be the best option for him. I assume that the Spurs would want some young talent, but might be happy just to get our first round pick. From the Blazers' viewpoint, I think a 4-man rotation at PF and C of Nurk, Collins, Aldridge and Melo would be pretty darned solid.

stampedehero likes this.
  4. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

We are going to be hearing this for a while now. Why wouldn't SA entertain other sign & trades if they cant pull of a straight across deal. They will want someone for more than 1 year and I doubt it would be Whiteside.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Honestly I always thought Pops would have gotten more out of LMA skillswise.

6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think that's spelled "sulk-wise".

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I never liked Derozan's game, but he was phenomenal in the Bubble. Essentially turned into a PG. THAT SAID: he shot a total of 5 three pointers in the eight games (in 226 minutes), so not really built for the modern game. Oh, and he made one. Those are Ben Simmons-like numbers.

stampedehero likes this.
  8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Because it takes 3 to do the sign-and-trade tango. LMA has said he wants to finish up with Dame. Assuming that's true (and with LMA who the heck knows?) then he would probably prefer to do the S&T this off-season, but he can also just choose to play out his contract in San Antonio. I suppose there's a chance that they can find another team that is willing to do a straight trade for him, but often teams try to accommodate a fading star's end of career ambitions. I think it's just a matter of how much the Spurs can extract from the Blazers. Whiteside is strictly a one-year salary cap throw-in.

riverman likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens

42N8Bounce likes this.
  10. Hoopguru

I understand but if other teams are also interested wouldn't it benefit SA to take the best deal?

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Frankly, unless the market for Whiteside is a lot stronger than I think it will be, it would surprise me if it doesn't.

stampedehero and PCmor7 like this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Sure, if there's a team that's willing to give SA a better package for a one-year rental of LMA than the Blazers are willing to offer, or if LMA decides that there are other places he wouldn't mind finishing his career than Portland, then the whole thing falls apart.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think it'll be young guys in the trade..and cheaper contracts...if Lamarcus wants to come here they might work with him....I remember when we got Sasha Pavlovic basically for free and I think it was Boston that paid his salary to play here that year....although he got foot injuries and didn't play much. Who knows? I do think cost cutting is going to happen all across the league before next season...Whiteside would work money wise for sure. I'm thinking Zach Collins would interest the Spurs alot more

14. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Pass.

jlprk likes this.
  15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The Blazers would have to put in players whose salaries total at least around $19 million in order to be able to take on LMA's $24 million contract for next season. Ariza makes $12 million and would be easy to part company with, but coming up with the rest of the filler would be more painful than the Blazers would want to do for Aldridge at this stage of his career. I don't see any way to make it work without including a S&T with Hassan. Maybe there's some creative 3-way deal that would work.

16. Hoopguru

What if we let Hassan walk and go after Harrell SP?

17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Mm-Kay

Tince and riverman like this.
  18. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

It would surprise the hell out of me. LMA isn't nearly as good as he was when he left, he is now overpaid and still has his horrible non-winning attitude. I don't think he is an effective 4 anymore, I think he is just a stretch 5 and we don't need a 5 with Nurk we need to add a post player that can defend the perimeter and the paint more than we need LMA's offense, attitude and bloated self importance at 24 million. Ariza would be included in the trade and I honestly think Ariza would be better starting at the 4 for us next season than LaMarcus would and Ariza comes at half the price.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I completely understand why fans don't want him back but I've gotta say...he's learned to play as a big man much better under Pop than he was here...and he no longer has to carry a team here....I'm also underimpressed with Zach Collins return....LA is a huge ugrade right now over Collins.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, obviously, but I think that you're wrong on several points. He and Dame have resolved their problems and have agreed that they will play together in Portland. LMA knows that this is Dame's team. If the Blazers take him on, it's because they're going all-in on a win-now program, so I just don't see the personality conflict issues that existed earlier when LMA was the bigger star. As far as positions go, I think that the Blazers would have a terrific rotation. They can pair Nurk with Melo and LMA with Collins so that there's always someone mobile who can take the PF spot. The $24 million is a bite, but it's only one year and it's less than the $27 million that they've been paying Hassan. We need Ariza at the 3. I don't see him being included in the trade.

Tince and riverman like this.