Starlet Adu to train with Man Utd

Discussion in 'England' started by dycdan, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dycdan

dycdan DYC please wait...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BBC:</div><div class="quote_post"><font size="2">Freddy Adu will train with Manchester United for two weeks in November.

</font> <font size="2">The 17-year-old American forward has long been tipped to become one of football's hottest prospects and has repeatedly hinted at a move to Europe.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">Adu plays his football for DC United in American Major League Soccer and club spokesman Doug Hicks stressed that the spell in England was not a trial.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">"This is a great opportunity and we support his decision to seek additional training opportunities," Hicks said.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">DC United's domestic season came to a close at the weekend following a play-off loss to New England Revolution.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">After the game Adu said there had been "some serious talks" that could lead to him playing elsewhere next year and heightened speculation over his future.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">"I'd like to be back, but my ultimate goal was to go overseas, and if it comes sooner rather than later, I'll take it," he added. </font>
    <font size="2">Adu has played three seasons for DC United, having joined them at the age of 14.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>
    <font size="2">The midfielder-cum-striker, who is contracted to MLS rather than the club, has one more season to serve but there is an option for two more for the Ghana-born player hailed as the great hope of American soccer. </font>
    <font size="2">Any potential move to Europe will be permissible under international transfer rules when he turns 18 in June 2007.</font>
    <font size="2">
    </font>

<font size="2">The Washington Post reports that Adu will link up with United on the 18th of November.</font></div>How do you take this news?

2. SoilBorn

SoilBorn DYC Mr. Rock 'n' Roll

He's an exciting prospect. He's a pretty big star already in America and I've heard very good things about him for the last three years or so, he's been that inflential from the age of 14. I'm glad he chose to come over to Carrington and train first rather than jump into a transfer feet first.

Would love it if he signed. United have the reputation of producing good kids and training them if they sign them from other clubs so it's sounding like the ideal arrangement: Adu wants to come to England, he comes to the place for young, inexperienced players of his calibre.