Starling Marte

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by totus44, Apr 18, 2017.

1. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

80 game ban for PEDS, begins immediately.

Tested positive for nandrolone.....only active as an injectable.

Very stupid....

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  2. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Old Brenda Lee Song "I'm sorry, so sorry, that I was such A Fool"

Old Pete Segar Song "When will they ever learn, When will they ever learn"

3. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

The Yankees play the Pirates this weekend. :bgrin:

4. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...Marte is evidently too fucking stupid to be in MLB.

...sorry, but "unintentional" is no longer an acceptable or valid excuse.

"Neglect and lack of knowledge have led me to this mistake with the high price to pay of being away from the field that I enjoy and love so much. With much embarrassment and helplessness, I ask for forgiveness for unintentionally disrespecting so many people who have trusted in my work and have supported me so much. I promise to learn the lesson that this ordeal has left me. God bless you."

...blah, blah, blah.

5. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

this dk is playing the cards, everybody's doing it, why not me. What's the worse that can happen, I may not get caught, if so, I get another chance, maybe another. This shit is getting old. It's guys like Marte, playing the system, lacking responsibility, as it's unintentional my ass, that make me wan't to see Zero Tolerance.

if one's finger pulls the trigger, it's with intent, not innocence.

6. totus44

unintentional can and will still happen with orally active agents on the banned list. But there is no way to dispute an injectable compound....I mean I fell on the needle doesn't quite have the same weight as the dog ate my homework. Marte's statement is bullshit. You cant accidentally get a compound that only works via injection. Better to say I tried to cheat and got caught, and be honest why you took such a risk. Unintentional doesnt happen with liquid based drugs because they are processed in single use systems. For solid based drugs its a different process, as discussed below.

As for "unintentional" there are currently three scenarios that are accepted for appeal by various PED governing boards. (1) athlete slipped a mickey, this has actually happened several times and you cant ban someone for being the victim of a crime. (2) combination drugs are much more prevalent outside the US and with generics crossing borders physicians don't always get the updated lists of what they cannot prescribe. (3) manufacturing errors where banned substances cross contaminate legal materials. All three of these have actually happened to Olympic and professional athletes. If fact, number 3 happens quite a bit in current pharmaceutical manufacturing where pill making machines are shared. This is why companies like mine are actually developing 3d printing technologies for pill making so its a contact free system and eliminates the costing contamination's that result in lot recalls and adverse patient interactions.

7. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    :twothumbs:

Tote, You ever so adeptly dismantle my zero tolerance, again and again, well said, you've got me singing kumbaya, lol... like the finger on the trigger wasn't mine...or went off due to a mfg- discrepancy...
    :clap::angel:

8. yankeesince59

...after all this time and after all of the suspensions and warnings from both MLB and the MLBPA there's no excuse. If a player is unsure about what he is about to take all he has to do is call the team trainer or someone from his union and they dan tell him yes or no.
    ...but in most cases and Marte's too, I've gotta believe the violation was intentional and they were simply trying to beat the system and got caught. But even in the odd "accidental" positive test there's no excuse anymore...and if the player is so reckless as to not even check first, there's no excuse for that either.

9. totus44

its impossible to know the chemical composition of everything you eat and drink. and as i said, there are issues with drug manufacturing that lead to cross contamination....no way an athlete is going to know that either. WADA is trying to get a database together to deal with many of these issues since 2015 but its a complex problem. Its significant because this is the Achilles heel for any testing standards.

10. yankeesince59

...aww c'mon. Tote...these are isolated cases of individuals trying to gain an edge and got caught...and you're talking about PEDs in these guy's food, and players getting slipped a "mickey" and pharmaceutical "contaminations"?...seriously?
    ...is it possible?...well yeah, I suppose anything is possible but how many instances of those things actually happening to any big name athlete? ...it's also possible that a tiny little steroid fairy sneaks into a player's room at night and jabs him in the ass with a PED loaded syringe while the player is sleeping.
    The fact is you're talking about something that is a complete and utterly extreme outlier so I really don't get what your exact point is.

...the testing system will continue to improve but in the interim, the current system is all we have...and all things considered, it works pretty damn well.