Starting Point Guard Debate

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Gee_Dupe11, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

Almost every position is locked expect this one.....This is the only position we need a solid Player out of and IMO we are playoff bound (yea i said it) but for now who to start heres my Canidates

[​IMG]
    Dan Dickau
    6'0
    Gonzaga

Good Shooter and handling skills,Had great season with Hornets 2 years ago but due to injuries had to kinda sit a year with the Celtics

[​IMG]
    Juan Dixon
    6'3
    Maryland

Combo Guard with shooting range. Hes a Scorer. But is too little for the SG Pos. and if put at Point will be a Scoring Point Guard with 20% true Point Guard in him

[​IMG]
    Jarrett Jack
    6'3
    Georgia Tech
    IMO a True Point that is unselfish.he as a good shot of the dribble but IMO is a turnover prone had. also was Injured too.

[​IMG]
    Brandon Roy
    6'6
    Washington
    The Kid can do it all. as well as play Point. playing Point as the Last Vegas Summer League and Dominating. Why not put him at Point. Reminds me of a Young Jalen Rose with more Pot.

2. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

^by Pot I hope you mean potential

3. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

^^^ LMFAO!!

they have so many gaurds, im pretty sure they will trade either dixon, dickau or jack because we all know roy is staying. if it were up to me i would start dickau or dixon and have roy back up. when roy starts proving himself as nba ready then i would eventually start him.

4. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

The Blazers should start Dixon and if Jack shows more development as a playmaker, then I'd have him as a starter.

Roy isn't a pure point, he's a great playmaker, but I don't like restricting him to just one position. He should just be more of a free-lance player, playing a bit of Small foward and point guard while mainly being a two guard.

5. Gee_Dupe11

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DIRK4L1FE:</div><div class="quote_post">^by Pot I hope you mean potential</div>

Lol yea i do mean Potential

6. jbbKing23James

jbbKing23James JBB JustBBall Member

Roy i think

7. Rod

Rod JBB JustBBall Member

Well it all depends,if we will start with Magloire, Randolph,Miles and Roy who can create for themselfs: we should open with Dixon cuz he will enjoy passes from slashers and less attention from his guards.

but if we will start with Magloire,Webster and Alderidge we will need someone like Jack at the point and put Roy at a diffrent position to create more for these guys because the game will be too static.

I dont think its a good idea to put Roy at the PG yet,i will give him some time to ajust to the NBA in his natural position,you dont want to play him against the fastestquickest guys on the court just yet [​IMG]

Anyways,talking about it is still premature IMO because we don't know which guys will come instead of Randolphmiles.

8. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

I say start Roy, give him a chance- I mean Jack and Dixon are good but we've seen them last season and it didn't get us anywhere. Let's see what Roy can do, I think he can grab the ROY (as do most people). "Experts" say that he is the most nba player in the draft

9. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Roy is supposed to be NBA ready, but if he's not mentally ready sit him.

I still think this lineup looks great on paper.

PG: Jarret Jack
    SG: Brandon Roy
    SF: Darius Miles
    PF: Zach Randolph
    C: Jamaal Magloire

That's a pretty good defensive team even though Zach Randolph is at PF. They still got two shotblockers and some great rebounders.

There's plenty of action going inside, but not sure about the outside attack.
    Jarret Jack might have to be subbed with either Dickau or Juan Dixon.

10. ilive4ball

ilive4ball JBB JustBBall Member

see that lineup in like 4 years could be NBA caliber. The blazers have a TON of depth and talent, it's just all real young with the exception of a few players.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Blazers should start Dixon and if Jack shows more development as a playmaker, then I'd have him as a starter.

Roy isn't a pure point, he's a great playmaker, but I don't like restricting him to just one position. He should just be more of a free-lance player, playing a bit of Small foward and point guard while mainly being a two guard.</div>
    Dixon is a SG, there's more of 0% pure PG in him than the 20% mentioned. He doesn't have playmaking skills at all. He's a guy that will never give up in a game and can be clutch, but he's no PG. I think he's the worst option out of all the guys available.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Roy is supposed to be NBA ready, but if he's not mentally ready sit him.

I still think this lineup looks great on paper.

SF: Darius Miles
    C: Jamaal Magloire

That's a pretty good defensive team even though Zach Randolph is at PF. They still got two shotblockers and some great rebounders.

There's plenty of action going inside, but not sure about the outside attack.
    Jarret Jack might have to be subbed with either Dickau or Juan Dixon.</div>
    I agree, and in the future you would see either:

SF: Martell Webster
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge
    C: Joel Przybilla

or

SF: Martell Webster
    C: LaMarcus Aldridge

Depending on how well Jack develops and what they decide to do with Randolph (still not sure what's happening with him?).

Like I've said before, it's not the best scenario to toss a rookie into a starting PG spot, especially on who isn't actually a PG. Giving him spot minutes at PG is fine, but putting the responsibility of being a primary ball handler and playmaker on him right away isn't too smart. I'd go with Jarret Jack as the starter, like I said, he should've improved through the off-season.

12. Flashback

Flashback JBB JustBBall Member

Dixon is NOT a PG. He's just a short SG, he isn't a great passer and he can't dribble very good. I think Jack will start here, until Roy is ready. I really see Roy as a SG, but if you guys can get him to play point, then it'll cause some match-up problems.

13. Gee_Dupe11

^^Naw Jaun got a nice handle now he can dribble like a Point Guard. handles is one of his strengths

i actually think that Dan Dickau is going to break through. if he was playing last year he would been starting for the celtics and they would of moved Delonte at the two and Paul at the 3. he was a candidate for the most improved award when bobby simmons won ( i think he was 3rd) i see Dickau was our starter but if we want to be playoff bound we should sign Jay Williams

14. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'd go with a lineup like this:

PG: Jack
    SG: Roy
    SF: Miles (though he's supposedly on the block)
    PF: Randolph (supposedly on the block as well)
    C: Magloire

If Miles and Randolph are gone, which I think the Blazers do want to move both of them, I think we see Webster and Aldridge inserted in the starting lineup. Whatever happens though, the Blazers future is looking rather bright.

15. Flashback

Flashback JBB JustBBall Member

I dunno, as far as point guards are concerned, I don't see Dixon as one...

16. Custodianrules2

I'd figure Dan Dickau would be best served if he came off the bench. I mean he is pretty much a backup player anyway because of his size and the fact he's not really all that quick. Jack to me is not as much of a liability on the floor. But if Jack can't shoot, I guess there's no choice but to go to Dickau. It's important that the point guard know how to shoot, put the ball right where his teammates want it, to defend on the ball, and dribble without turning it over.

Juan Dixon can work if he's primarily carrying the ball up for SG Brandon Roy to create the play. But if he's hoisting it with a fresh clock like an out of control shooting guard, take Dixon out and put in a pure, pass first point guard. That's why I don't like combo guards, unless the shooting guard creates all the magic.

17. Gee_Dupe11

^^Good point

remember Dan Dickau avg 12PPG and like 5APG in 03-04 when he was with the Hornets but at the same time i think if Jack was in the same situation he will avg 12-5 as well. But IMO we should sign Jay Williams and then Trade one of the PG's(Dickau or Jack), Dixon and Zach for a Stud Power Forward and then Trade D-miles for a Baby Forward(via Knicks)

18. Custodianrules2

It's too bad Steve Blake is gone. I really liked that guy. But the thing I don't like about guards like Blake is they got no meat on them. Guys like Blake, Dickau, and Juan Dixon are kind of light-weight. A guy 6'2 ought to be 200 lbs at least and packing decent quickness. Guys who have a good power/quickness balance can take it strong to the hoop without flying off the bigger guys too much. It's also why I had doubts about Telfair being a long term starter. He's a good placeholder pass first point guard, but he's too light.

BTW when is the Blazers frontpage banner going to change?

19. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

Jakc or dickau, i really like both of their games. But where is steve blake? did he get traded or something

20. Custodianrules2

Blake is a Buck now.

Skinner, Ha Seung Jin, and Blake got dealt for Bucks' Jamaal Magloire.

The media thinks the Bucks could have gotten more for Magloire, but he's really a rental for about two years and pretty much overrated out in the West. The Bucks now have a decent replacement for TJ Ford, although I like TJ Ford a lot better. Blake can at least shoot and has more length and is still very quick for 6'3".