Steve Francis Offically a Knick

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Could Stevie Franchise soon be bound for Broadway?

The Knicks and Magic are close to a deal that would send three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis to New York for a package of players, according to two league sources. Details of the trade were still being worked out, according to one of the sources, who emphasized that it had yet to be completed. The Magic apparently have decided to wait until the last minute before Thursday's trade deadline to see if any better offers come up.

If the trade goes through, it would represent yet another high-profile acquisition for Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who already has added Larry Brown, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry and Jalen Rose this season alone. The 6-foot-3 Francis has averaged 19.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists over his seven-year NBA career. He would join Stephon Marbury to form a backcourt with a combined five All-Star appearances.

The Knicks apparently are ready to send three players, including two regular members of the rotation, to Orlando in the deal. Neither team's officials will comment on any ongoing trade talks, but it is likely Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor would be included. The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and the 6-5 Crawford is considered an intriguing young talent who would be able to step in and help fill the team's hole at shooting guard. Taylor would likely be included to help make the salaries match Francis' $13.7 million a year.

Francis, who was traded from Houston to Orlando last season as part of the Tracy McGrady deal, has been unhappy with his role this season under new Magic coach Brian Hill. Last month he refused to re-enter a game late in a blowout loss at Seattle, and was suspended two games. He later apologized, but the Magic soon after decided to listen to offers for a possible trade.

Francis, who celebrates his 29th birthday Tuesday, might welcome a change of scenery. He clearly has looked frustrated this season, and heads into the post All-Star break averaging career-lows in points (16.3) rebounds (4.8), assists (5.7) and three-point shooting (25.7 percent). He recently came out and admitted his play had become affected by constant trade rumors.

As of last week, the Nuggets were considered the front-runner to acquire Francis in a trade. But Denver reportedly was leery of picking up the remainder of his contract (three years, $49 million). The Knicks, already owners of the league's highest payroll, have no such concerns.</div>
    <div align="center">Sports Illustrated</div>
    So, Mo Taylor is now being included in the possible deal instead of Penny. This almost guarantees that we'll try and land someone with Penny's expiring contract. It'll probably end up being Kenyon Martin and Earl Watson. Imagine having Francis and Martin on the same team? Very interesting. Only thing is the killer salaries. We'd be in salary cap hell for quite some time. With a full training camp along with a healthy roster, the playoffs definitely isn't out the question next season.

2. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

wow....Orlando can't be that stupid.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Apparently so. I hear this trade is on the verge of being accpeted.

Francis' value really has decreased. Maybe he'll be the Vince Carter for us and take us to the playoffs? [​IMG]

4. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

Its so confusing though...I can't understand the logic, Isiah has warped my mind.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Francis' deal is shorter than Crawford's and he's a better player. Taylor's absence open things up for Frye at power forward, so it's not so bad at all. A real steal for us, in my opinion.

6. jbbBigMo763

jbbBigMo763 JBB JustBBall Member

I really don't see how a Marbury and Francis backcourt will work out, but it is worth the risk. I also can't see why Larry Brown would want Francis...

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BigMo763:</div><div class="quote_post">I really don't see how a Marbury and Francis backcourt will work out, but it is worth the risk. I also can't see why Larry Brown would want Francis...</div>
    It'll definitely be interesting, but considering what we gave up, as you said, it's worth risk.

Francis will give us better defense and a more reliable scorer than Crawford. He's also the better rebounder. I'd say they're about equal in terms of passing. Crawford gets less assists, but he takes better care of the ball.

I liked Taylor's improvement this season. He's been a better rebounder and has played much better defense. We all knew he can score; he's money on the offensive end (although he doesn't like to always pass it). Frye will see more time which is why it's worth it.

8. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

I can't really see Francis playing shooting guard, it has never worked...same with Marbury. Marbury is more passive than Francis, but I feel the ball movement, the turnovers, and the defense will even be worse.

Talent wise, Knicks win the trade yet again, but what will be the result? This is becoming too cliche really.

9. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

im sorry, but thats just a wierd back court to me. interesting none the less. im thinking this will be the job killer for isaiah as a gm...knicks will continue to do poorley, and he'll be let go

10. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">I can't really see Francis playing shooting guard, it has never worked...same with Marbury. Marbury is more passive than Francis, but I feel the ball movement, the turnovers, and the defense will even be worse.

Talent wise, Knicks win the trade yet again, but what will be the result? This is becoming too cliche really.</div>
    I think he will be able to play shooting guard. Last year in Orlando I think he did and Jameer Nelson was the point guard. If I remember correctly it worked out okay, but I have to check that out. Point is, Crawford isn't as an effective scorer as Francis and I automatically see that being an upgrade. Turnovers will be a killer though. Francis is extremely turnover prone, but that could change if he's playing shooting guard since he won't handle the ball as much. Defensively we'll definitely be better. Francis is a much better defender than Crawford. And although Taylor has improved defensively, he's still somewhat of a liability.

All in all, it could work out or it can be a complete disaster. Considering what we gave up this possible disaster won't really hurt us that much in the future.

11. jbbBigMo763

jbbBigMo763 JBB JustBBall Member

The Francis at the SG experiment worked out in Orlando because they had Jameer Nelson at the point, and Jameer and Marbury play two different styles.

If this trade does go down, it will be very interesting to see how Marbury and Francis co-exist in the backcourt. It will either be very good, or blow up... and with Larry Brown in the mix you never know.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

At halftime against the Cavs, Francis only played 9:32 minutes, so that's a sign.

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Update: Pat Garrity has been included in the deal.

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Francis
    Garrity

for

Crawford
    Ariza
    Taylor

seems to be the deal on the table. Be surprised If It doesn't go down

I fail to see how a Marbury/Francis backcourt will work.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Steven A. Smith says it's now

Penny/Ariza for Francis.

Steven A. knows his stuff, I think it's going down. Damn I was expecting Crawford to go.

16. Temperature06

Temperature06 JBB JustBBall Member

a Francis + Marbury backcourt is doomed for hell. Lol comon, most of you guys definately have to feel the same way. Don't you think it would've made more sense to go after PAUL PIERCE!?[​IMG]

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Pierce is a better fit, but I don't think the Celtics are desperately trying to get rid of him.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

It's official. Steve Francis to the Knicks for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza. No link but they're reporting it here in New York. Details will become available soon.

19. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">It's official. Steve Francis to the Knicks for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza. No link but they're reporting it here in New York. Details will become available soon.</div>

God that sounds awful for the Magic. Couldn't they get something better in return? Wow. Well then again.....Knicks get another big contract which isn't really good either.

20. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

Wow is all I can say. This is not going to end well in my opinion.

Isiah had two huge expriring contracts and instead he takes on two more HUGE contracts. This will only delay the rebuilding process even more.

I'm just thankful that Isiah left the Raps a long time ago (no offense meant to Knick fans).

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NbaBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">God that sounds awful for the Magic. Couldn't they get something better in return? Wow.</div>

yeah, looks like they end up with basically nothing and losing T-Mac. Almost as bad as Raps getting back almost nothing in return for Vince.