Stevie G "v" Ronaldo

Discussion in 'England' started by bringiton, Jun 13, 2007.

1. bringiton

bringiton Theatre of Reality

Stevie G "v" Ronaldo

Brazilian superstar Ronaldinho rates Steven Gerrard more highly than Manchester United counterpart Cristiano Ronaldo.
    The Barcelona forward played against Gerrard three times last season – and the encounters left him in no doubt as to his quality.

"Cristiano is a great player. But Steven Gerrard is, for me, one of the very best in the world," said Ronaldinho.

"For the job he performs, for me, he is one of the greatest."

What does everyone think. I know they are 2 completely different types of players but pound for pound who wins?

2. Big Aaron

Big Aaron DYC Working Class Hero

Re: Stevie G "v" Ronaldo

Surely it means nothing given he's basing it on who he played last season?

Plus, like you say, completely different players.

3. The 12th Man

The 12th Man DYC Im Cantona i go as i want

its to hard to say because they are completely different.

4. SuperMattyTaylor

SuperMattyTaylor DYC 1st team Reserves

If they were both attackers then i'd understand..

- SMT

5. twofivefive

twofivefive DYC Boro for FA Cup 2008.

It's too hard to tell who's better. They both get the job done for their respective clubs and countries and they're both class. I'd take Gerrard over Ronaldo but it's just impossible to tell who's the better one.

6. C.Ronaldo

C.Ronaldo Key Squad player

If i had a choice between the two, I will pick C.Ronaldo, will all liverpool fans choose gerrard? probz.

They are two different players so it his hard to tell, but last season C.Ronaldo had a stormer!

7. Lennon 18

Lennon 18 DYC Key Squad player

Well I think you cant really compare them because they both have different abilities and talent, Its like some say Ronaldinho is the best player in the world but Buffon saves his team week in week out.

8. bbwMax

bbwMax Member

Based on who Arsenal would rather have. Centre midfields excellent with Fabregas and Gilberto and so are the wings with Hleb and Rosicky.

I'd rather have Ronaldo then[​IMG]

9. Hutcho

Hutcho DYC Squad Backup player

Ronaldo. Not a fan of Gerrard. Slightly over-rated and doesn't compare to Lampard IMO.

10. Art_gunner4life

Art_gunner4life DYC Arsenal Fan

They are completly diferent...one is more like a striker with supernatural dibbling capabilities, and the other is more like a offesnsive midfielder who is a playmaker with some attack.
    Who would I take:
    if it was last season: Ronaldo by a mile. Gerrard was nowhere to be found in terms of improvement.

Overall, taking consideration all seasons played and what theyve done:
    Gerrard. but at the end of their carreers, I think ronaldo is going to leave with better recognition and titles, even though hes a crybaby little twat...lol

11. United4ever

United4ever DYC Manchester United's son

I think Ronaldinho is right. If you talk abt Careers, I will no doubt pick Gerrard, he has been instrumental over the past 3-4yrs and Ronaldo needs to be consistent for the next few yrs and perform where it matters most then you could call Ronaldo one of the best. But completely diff players

12. mattyboy6

mattyboy6 DYC 1st team Reserves

Its hard to say but I would probably have to go with Ronaldo especially with the form hes been in this season, I think hes a more exciting player however Gerrard is definatly world class in his postion.

13. Hudge

Hudge Active Member

Two different players, each equally important for their team, according to MOTD's scientifically proven rankings for last season, Gerrard is 19 places higher than Ronaldo.

14. Evans09

Evans09 DYC 1st team Reserves

It is difficult to compare them as they both play different positions. just judging fromm last season, for me with out a doubt christiano ronaldo as he played out of his skin for the reds but over the years steven gerrard has been clinical for liverpool and has won the club many trophies. overall, impossible to compare the two.

15. robert

robert DYC Part-Timer

Hutcho - "Not a fan of Gerrard. Slightly over-rated"

How can anyone say Steven Gerrard is slightly over-rated he is one of the best players in the world.

For me the reason i would say he is better than Ronaldo is the fact that he can play in any position and still be world class.

Ronaldo RM best position any other i think he would struggle to have the same impact.

Gerrard CM best position also RM, RB, DM, AM does matter he wold still be one of the best players in the pitch.

16. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

Firstly it is impossible to compare two players who play in completley different positions. And what are you basing your judgement on?
    How can you define "Best"? or "Better"? Is it the player who has more technical ability or relies more on sheer effort and enthusiasm.
    Gerrard is better for Liverpool whereas Ronaldo is better for Man United. It is no secret that eventually 90% of United fans will say Ronaldo is better while 90% of Liverpool fans will say that Gerrard is better.

In terms of footballing ability, i am under no illusions when i say Ronaldo is a far better player. He can change matches in an instant, on his day he is a work of art. Same can be said about Gerrard but Gerrard lacks the technical ability that Ronaldo posseses. Gerrard can shoot, tackle, and has a good workrate, whereas Ronaldo can dribble, cross, and is very fast. Good shot on him as well. Gerrard will be remembered as a great player eventually due to what he has done with his club, but Ronaldo will be a legend. He will one day win "World player of the year" or the "Ballon d'OR" but i doubt Gerrard ever will.

Lets not forget Ronaldo is still young, why not compare them in 2 or 3 years time once Ronaldo has reached his full potential.

17. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How can anyone say Steven Gerrard is slightly over-rated he is one of the best players in the world.</div>
    I dont mean any disrespect to Gerrard or anything, but it must be said that he is over rated. He is nowhere near as good as people say he is. Ronaldinho saying he is a world beater is just an example of how over rated he is. He is a good player, i give credit when due but not one of the best players in the world any more.

To be declared worlds best player you must also acheive internationally and perform in big tournements like the world cup which Gerrard failed to do whereas Ronaldo was instrumental in taking his country to the semi finals.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Ronaldo RM best position any other i think he would struggle to have the same impact.

Gerrard CM best position also RM, RB, DM, AM does matter he wold still be one of the best players in the pitch.</div>
    Ronaldo also makes an impact on the Left side. The fact that you use tersm such as "CM, RB, DM",etc. Just goes to show how much your judgement has been affected by games such as Football Manager.

However, i do understand the fact that you were trying to put across, i.e Steven Gerrard is very versatile. But how does that prove he is better than Cristiano Ronaldo? That just shows that he is more adept and playing in different positions.

Darren Fletcher can play anywhere along the back four, winger, central midfeild, defensive midfeild, pretty much everywhere, but does that make him better than Ronaldo?

18. robert

robert DYC Part-Timer

RedDevil - Well thought out answer but you are wrong on many points.

First - it is impossible to compare two players who play in completley different positions. Wrong X

S.Gerrard played 70% of the season out of position on the right side of midfield Ronaldo's favorite position he scored 7 goals with many assists.

C. Ronaldos played in his favorite position all season playing in a better side and managed 17 goals with assists.

Now swap both players around C. Ronaldo played for Liverpool last season out of position say Centre Mid and S Gerrard playing in his natural Centre Mid for Man Utd.

If this had been the case we would now be talking about Gerrard in terms of "World player of the year" and he would have definately scored more than 7 goals.

Secondly - technical ability, your right C.Ronaldo is probably more technically gifted than Gerrard but its how you judge greatness.

I have no doubt that S Gerrard is technically gifted but he also has the work rate, the desire, determination etc he is the complete player.

C.Ronaldo - amazing technical ability a great player but there are still many question marks on his work ethic, desire, determination for me if hes not interested forget it.

Lastly to say that S,Gerrard will never be World player of the year is both naive and reckless. When you have probably one of the most naturally gifted players who's ever kicked a ball in Ronaldinho saying he is the best player in the world speaks volumes of the player.

Finally for me S,Gerrard is all ready a legend i have been watching football all my life and have never seen a player that can do everything he can pass, cross, dribble, tackle, head, hes fast , great football brain, able to dictate games the list goes on.

He does have one problem though and i don't want to say this because i am a Liverpool fan, hes to loyal. If he was playing for a Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan, Barcelona he would have won everything.

19. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Now swap both players around C. Ronaldo played for Liverpool last season out of position say Centre Mid and S Gerrard playing in his natural Centre Mid for Man Utd.</div>

Give me a logical explanation to why this should be done?
    Its the managers choice isnt it? It obviously suits Benitez best to play Gerrard on the right side, whereas Sir Alex plays Ronaldo on his favoured right. Both players came close to leaving the club previously to play football at another club which would probably garountee them football in their favoured position but both refused. Ronaldo gets to play in his favoured position but just because Gerrard doesnt you cannot blame Ronaldo can you.

You must judge a player on how he performs. Not how he would have performed had he played in a different position. Why not put Gerrard in the centre and keep Ronaldo on the right and see the results? I am sure Ronaldo would make more assists and score more goals.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Lastly to say that S,Gerrard will never be World player of the year is both naive and reckless. When you have probably one of the most naturally gifted players who's ever kicked a ball in Ronaldinho saying he is the best player in the world speaks volumes of the player.</div>

Steven Gerrard is already 27 years old. By that age Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Zidane and Baggio had all already been named "FIFA world player of the year" atleast Once. Weather Gerrard has passed his peak or not is debatable, but it is a fact that he is yet to show the same form he showed the world in 2005. In Liverpools 2005 run to the champions league final he played a massive role, whereas in many games during this term he seemed not his usual self, not the main man during the matches, often anonymous.

That is why i doubt he will ever win the World Player of the year. Thats only my opinion mate, but how about we discuss this very same thing 10 years from now or so once Gerrard has retired.

Frankly, 2 players who play in different positions cannot be compared succesfully. Ronaldo is still young and is yet to prove himself over a longer period of time. Gerrard is an already proven player over a long period of time, but despite Liverpool doing fairly well, i dont think he did great last season. He will have to prove many wrong next season like Ronaldo did this season.

Both players are fantastic and the clubs are lucky to have them. They both posses great mental strength. Steven Gerrard has all the required attributes to be a midfeilding legend, whereas Ronaldo will eventually be remembered as a wing maestro.
    It all depends on what the 2 acheive over the course of the next 4 or 5 seasons. Its a pity that Gerrard plays at Liverpool(no offense intended), but im sure he would win more if he played at a bigger club, like you said-
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If he was playing for a Chelsea, Man Utd, AC Milan, Barcelona he would have won everything.</div>

20. robert

robert DYC Part-Timer

Not bigger clubs better teams there is no club in the world with the history of Liverpool fc we have just had a long period of poor managerial appointments and transfer signings.

I am confident however that with Rafa at the helm this is changing and in the very near future we will see Liverpool back where they belong as the number one team in England.